Rivets 5000

Dfasham

Featured Posts

35 minutes ago, PaulD said:

Is it a live aboard ?

For some species, possibly.

I like it. Can't be more that 3' 6" in width. Can't see much point in having a brass tiller when the wooden one seems more practical. What's the engine? Any one know?

Think I would prefer a motorised skiff with overnight canopy. Must be fun though.

I remember it being built by the Fashams in the late 60s. It used to pootle around rallies in those days. I think it lay in someone’s garden for a long time. If it’s been resurrected, I’m delighted. They also owned Dart in those days, an ex Thomas Clayton gas boat. All 3 brothers were clever engineers, Edwin still boats with Ferrous, a very distinctive craft.

When it was possible to have it as a tender Edwin took it all over the system, once the licensing changed it was put into storage at the family home. If my memory is correct it was originally fitted with an LE Velocete engine. It is now fitted with a 2cl Kubota, Don't know how the licencing system updates but it probably has a one month licence to cover the BCN challenge. 

Thats a clever little boat. Took me a minute to realise that its in a narrow lock. Re. Ferrous I saw that donkeys years ago and that was a pretty clever big boat

44 minutes ago, Bee said:

Re. Ferrous I saw that donkeys years ago and that was a pretty clever big boat

We were on the BCN Challenge a few years ago, going up the Rushall flight until we got to the long pound which was well down and Fulbourne went hard aground. Ferrous came up the lock behind us, managed to get past and took us in tow. Given that it must have a lesser draft than Fulbourne there must be a pretty big prop behind Ferrous's 5LW. Because we were dragged along the rest of the pound at reasonable speed - shake, rattle and roll as we bounced our way over bricks, rocks and goodness knows what else. A good job we didn't know at the time quite how thin some of Fulbourne's bottom is!

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

We were on the BCN Challenge a few years ago, going up the Rushall flight until we got to the long pound which was well down and Fulbourne went hard aground. Ferrous came up the lock behind us, managed to get past and took us in tow. Given that it must have a lesser draft than Fulbourne there must be a pretty big prop behind Ferrous's 5LW. Because we were dragged along the rest of the pound at reasonable speed - shake, rattle and roll as we bounced our way over bricks, rocks and goodness knows what else. A good job we didn't know at the time quite how thin some of Fulbourne's bottom is!

Ferrous has a 24" X 20" prop. Edwin made a mould from an older Bolinder Blade  which was probably ex Claytons of Oldbury. Then Cast his own propeller. Its driven by a 3LW and 1.5:1 gearbox so plenty of oomf!

6 hours ago, Derek R. said:

For some species, possibly.

I like it. Can't be more that 3' 6" in width. Can't see much point in having a brass tiller when the wooden one seems more practical. What's the engine? Any one know?

Think I would prefer a motorised skiff with overnight canopy. Must be fun though.

The brass one is scale and actually works better than the little one I knocked up to trial for the weekend.  The little one works well for hard steering.

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

Ferrous is running a 3lw and 24” prop

FF811C90-50AA-4598-B4B0-8EF24248CA10.jpeg

Crumbs thats impressive. As for casting your own propeller extracting the pattern from the mould can only be done with witchcraft or some sort of Hogwarts wizadry so far as I can see.

3 hours ago, Bee said:

Crumbs thats impressive. As for casting your own propeller extracting the pattern from the mould can only be done with witchcraft or some sort of Hogwarts wizadry so far as I can see.

I thought that too, but a quick google found this video on you tube (somewhat smaller prop -  I'd guess about 8 - 10 inches and smaller blade area), but its actually relatively straightforward for a skilled foundryman. Still needs a lot of careful work. And then you've still got to machine and balance it.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

I wonder how many Velocette engines had canal use. The Velocette was a Birmingham Motor cycle maker with a long history at different construction plants. Most will recall the final works at Hall Green.

Hmm, I think that if I need a new propeller I shall just go out and buy one, incidentally there are some great videos on You tube about foundry work and engineering in India - sandals, terrible equipment and so on but fantastic ingenuity.