car hire

dreadnought

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, dreadnought said:

hi all, i was wondering if anyone could recommend a car hire company near lichfield off the coventry canal,got to get to a hospital appointment,many thanks

Enterprise frequently get recommended on here. And I have used them too and can recommend them.

Enterprise are now very expensive. Rumour has it that they sold a lot of their cars during lockdown and now there aren't enough new cars in existance for them to replenish their stock. We always used to use them but now search on the internet for local companies.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Enterprise are now very expensive. Rumour has it that they sold a lot of their cars during lockdown and now there aren't enough new cars in existance for them to replenish their stock. We always used to use them but now search on the internet for local companies.

I had my car written off in December and it took the insurance company several days to find a hire car, Hertz bugged us about for 24 hours before saying they didn't have one,

I hope you can find one and agree  local smaller firms maybe best especially if they know why you need it. Friends may need to be asked though as new hire car availability is a huge problem post Covid.
Local van hire place had their 20 new van order cancelled by the manufacturer as none were available nor likely to be for over a year. A friend had their company car order extended 3 times by VW then cancelled and second hand car prices are “buoyant “ . The firm they work for searched for a long term hire car country wide, three firms promised and couldn’t deliver. 
It was two smaller local firms that managed to sort things out for a short term hire then a longer hire till a different company car could be sourced (Firm they  work for only lease new ones through big leasing firms, company policy) 

Enterprise are great but charges vary between locations. Last year we we hired from Huntingdon did a 400 mile round trip and it cost £200. Same car from Nantwich £300. I emailed the company and was told each site sets their own charges. In the end we bought a two for one rail card and £30 plus £60 train fare.

We intended to moor for the winter just gone, in the country, on moorings, all above board before someone asks. Anyway we bought a car in late October. We were going to sell the car in April but decided to keep it, under a cover on sons drive and will pick it up once we get to Lancashire from Oxfordshire. Saves a load of leap frogging the car and hiring cars in the future.

Just saying.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you intend to hire a car, or even drive, then it was a bit silly really.

As it was free renewal on demand I assumed I can renew anytime, main reason was that it's not possible to hire, I think. I'll use taxi and train if necessary.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

I've used a taxi for hospital visits that needed anaesthetic as they told me it was illegal to drive within 48 hrs of having one. It cost made me quite ill at £60 each way. However given the infrequency of needing t use a car, and given its running costs, I may well sell it soon and get used to using taxies as I doubt that car hire companies will be interested in hiring to an oldy like me.

35 minutes ago, LadyG said:

As it was free renewal on demand I assumed I can renew anytime, main reason was that it's not possible to hire, I think. I'll use taxi and train if necessary.

You might find that (at age) it is not as easy as you seem to think to get it back. Once surrendered it is a nightmare to get it reissued.

It will probably take over 6 months and may well involve (paying for) and having a 'medical'.

If you keep your licence you just need to do a self declarationafter the age of 70

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

I've used a taxi for hospital visits that needed anaesthetic as they told me it was illegal to drive within 48 hrs of having one. It cost made me quite ill at £60 each way. However given the infrequency of needing t use a car, and given its running costs, I may well sell it soon and get used to using taxies as I doubt that car hire companies will be interested in hiring to an oldy like me.

You can ask for travel to hospital help, there are volunteers who will whizz you too and fro, in their own cars. You can donate to hospital, err. That reminds me :( 

Not sure if it's available evrywhere, you also get a nice chat.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

On 30/04/2022 at 09:21, Alway Swilby said:

When I was given a courtesy car (paid for by the other insurance company) just before Christmas I got chatting to the fellow who dropped it off while he waited for his lift back. He told me that the daily rate, it was a 3 series BMW, was just over £200 per day and you can bet that that excluded VAT.   

46 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

No age limit with enterprise, for one, there will be others.

• Happy 1