£45 FOR A BOTTLE OF 13 KG PROPANE...

stablemabel

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was not suggesting it should be done for 'resale' but for personal use.

£30 for the connecting hose and its paid back within a couple of fills.

I just wanted people to be aware I wasn't doing it for resale and have weights and measures on my neck let alone Cala

• Greenie 2

On 29/04/2022 at 14:36, Authority924 said:

I've paid £43.50 for 11kg

A refill on our 11kg refillable Gaslow bottles costs us about £13 even at today's inflated prices.

We were expecting it to take a few years for the bottles to pay for themselves when we bought then last year but we hadn't factored in such massive increases in gas prices. 

I reckon  they will gave more than paid for themselves by the end of this year now. 

12 hours ago, Idle Days said:

Perhaps time to consider Safefil?

We have Gaslow refillable bottles on the van. Finding somewhere to refill them is proving a challenge this year. 

Our local LPG station a couple of miles up the road has not had any for months and doesn't know when it will next get a delivery. 

Luckily we fitted the larger 11kg bottles so we don't need to refill very often but we are going to kero them topped up this year when we can!

The thing that amazes me is that anyone is surprised by propane prices. Domestic gas has pretty much doubled in price over the last several months, and diesel has gone up by 50%. 

The reality is, if you want it, you have to pay the going rate. 

As for refilling cylinders, how does anyone know that the cylinder and the gubbins on top are working properly, if they are not a trained technician? 

41 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

The thing that amazes me is that anyone is surprised by propane prices. Domestic gas has pretty much doubled in price over the last several months, and diesel has gone up by 50%. 

As I understand it, LPG is a by-product of oil drilling. It used to be flared off as waste until the 60s but now it is collected and bottled and sold as Calor gas and a few other brands.

So I see no reason at all for the price to have risen other than opportunism and price gouging.  Dunno if I have this wrong but there is no increase in. demand or any other mechanism to cause the price rises we are seeing. 

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, MtB said:

.  Dunno if I have this wrong but there is no increase in. demand or any other mechanism to cause the price rises we are seeing. 

Or the other side of the coin a drop in supply or even the fear of a drop. 

Edited by ditchcrawler

9 hours ago, MtB said:

As I understand it, LPG is a by-product of oil drilling. It used to be flared off as waste until the 60s but now it is collected and bottled and sold as Calor gas and a few other brands.

So I see no reason at all for the price to have risen other than opportunism and price gouging.  Dunno if I have this wrong but there is no increase in. demand or any other mechanism to cause the price rises we are seeing. 

There has definitely been a rise in demand for the smaller Calor bottles in the leisure vehicle market. Every man and their dog seems to be doing a DIY van conversion at the minute! 

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

There has definitely been a rise in demand for the smaller Calor bottles in the leisure vehicle market. Every man and their dog seems to be doing a DIY van conversion at the minute! 

Weve definitely noticed an increase in the number of the ubiquitous converted 'Mercedes Sprinter' type on sites as we go around and about. I thought people in the main did these to wild camp in but lots seem to like the ability to at least hook up to the grid and get water so pitch up on CL's.

13 hours ago, MtB said:

It is an interesting question.

To answer it you need to understand where the LPG comes from.

Energy companies get their fossil fuels from underground in the form of Gas ie Methane (C1- one carbon atom) with a bit of ethane in it (C2 – two carbon atoms) or Oil ie Propane (C3), Butane C4) and heavier molecular weights (C5 and above). Methane is the stuff that is piped from gas fields or chilled to form LNG and shipped in tankers. The C2 content has to be small for calorific value reasons. The Oil is sent to refineries where the C3/C4 is extracted and bottled for LPG with the higher carbon species then pushed through the refinery to generate as much cash as possible from fuels etc. The C2 stream is pretty useless and can only be used as a feedstock for Petrochems - so its pricing is handled differently.

Demand for methane is going up and up so you can see why the price is doubling and with Russian supply to go down, even more market pull. The world is theoretically awash with oil but pricing based on OPEC restrictions to production, so not allowing it go into the market – and now Russian oil not wanted by the west will increase prices of road fuel etc. Is the C3/C4 fraction in short supply? It's production will be linked to the processing of crude oil rather than production of C1's (methane) – and I guess a lot of the C3/C4 was coming from Russia along with the oil, so yes, likely the market will be short so prices going up. I doubt if a lot of methane usage can be replaced by C3/C4 but that could tip the balance in a 'short' market.

Pricing is all a big con! The people in need have to pay a lot more so drive the price up for everyone as the people with the fossil fuels make a huge killing. I'm nearly as right wing as Smelly but in this case an energy tax is essential.

• Greenie 2

Here in australia you take your bottle in and they check and fill it.

saves lorries of lpg cylinders hurtling around the country.

In bigger towns you can ‘swap and go’ but I dont bother.

Ran out of gas last week in the tiniest of towns googled elgas. 3 refillers within 1 km of the van. Easy life.

On 01/05/2022 at 09:39, The Happy Nomad said:

Weve definitely noticed an increase in the number of the ubiquitous converted 'Mercedes Sprinter' type on sites as we go around and about. I thought people in the main did these to wild camp in but lots seem to like the ability to at least hook up to the grid and get water so pitch up on CL's.

A lot of the DIY conversions are done by people with very little to no idea of what they need for off grid use or what they need for on site use.

Some of the questions asked on the Facebook groups and forums are quite frankly ridiculous and verging on the scary!

As an aside we topped up with LPG at the Morrisons in Boroughbridge on the way past today. £14 for as near as damn it a full 11kg bottle at motorway services prices. 

58 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

A lot of the DIY conversions are done by people with very little to no idea of what they need for off grid use or what they need for on site use.

Some of the questions asked on the Facebook groups and forums are quite frankly ridiculous and verging on the scary!

As an aside we topped up with LPG at the Morrisons in Boroughbridge on the way past today. £14 for as near as damn it a full 11kg bottle at motorway services prices. 

Bargain - if only it was feasible to do this for a boat!

12 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Bargain - if only it was feasible to do this for a boat!

There is an adaptor for the safe fill bottles so you can take them to the pump and refill them.

Obviously easier for us to leave them in situ and drive to the pump with the van 😀

We had banked on it taking three years for the bottles to pay for themselves. But actually with the big hike in Calor prices I reckon by the end of this year they will have paid for themselves. 

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Indeed. And the big issue is there isnt anything to check or monitor how safely the gas and electrics have been installed, at least self fit out boats have checks at some point in their life, but self build camper vans - nothing.

Just to fill everyone with greater joy this week as a calor stockist we received a letter stating that the wholesale price of gas cylinders to stockists is going up around 10-15% as of immediately. 

Just gets better don't it!

Then again someone came in looking for a 9" X 6" Louvre vent today. £40-£60 quoted to the guy from other shops each. Got them 3 for less than £20. It isn't all doom and gloom.

12 hours ago, Paul&Sam said:

Just to fill everyone with greater joy this week as a calor stockist we received a letter stating that the wholesale price of gas cylinders to stockists is going up around 10-15% as of immediately. 

I'm not surprised. Calor Gas always has been ridiculously cheap....

:giggles: