Cheap Shower Controls

EnglishRose

Featured Posts

Hi, we are in the process of installing a whale gulper pump and bench style cassette toilet having taken out the bilge shower as it was draining straight onto the base plate and doing a bit of reconfiguration. We are not putting in a sink so just need to find a shower control. Anyone recommend something we can put with our gulper please. Thanks!

12 minutes ago, EnglishRose said:

Hi, we are in the process of installing a whale gulper pump and bench style cassette toilet having taken out the bilge shower as it was draining straight onto the base plate and doing a bit of reconfiguration. We are not putting in a sink so just need to find a shower control. Anyone recommend something we can put with our gulper please. Thanks!

I just used a normal domestic one.

It can be 'surface mounted' (as mine) or have the water supply coming in thru the wall into the back of the shower unit.

IMG_20160131_132721.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

13 minutes ago, EnglishRose said:

If you mean a shower mixer I used one from Screwfix/Toolstation, just ensure it s good for up to about 3.5 bar - depending upon your pump cut out pressure. Unless you live aboard the mixers can freeze in winter so when installing them try to ensure that you can take it off easily. I used an external mounting bar like this:

27249.jpg

Thanks all, we have Bristan and Grohe in our house, though I think Bristan is a bit better and afrersales too with Bristan.

How does something like this look https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/Bristan-Zing-Mixer-Shower-with-Cool-Touch-Bar/p/351931?lsft=adtype:pla,productchannel:online,storename:,product_id:351931&gclid=Cj0KCQjwma6TBhDIARIsAOKuANwGvGS3f7XLIKm3ZovxDXFdLD_E70ywJrhDaePyzmuaTRuXd5XXOjgaAu-KEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#fo_c=2832&fo_k=061032355b2c566690f7f60fe49ad965&fo_s=gplauk

I've heard good things generally about Toolstation and Screwfix too.

11 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Be advised that cheap shower mixers have plastic parts inside which will fail at the first sign of frost or heavy use.

The Grohe valves are all brass, much better.

Thanks I'll look into the Grohetherm 800 or 1000. I think this will be ok with the gulper. I think Bristan also use ceramic parts rather than plastic too.

43 minutes ago, EnglishRose said:

Thanks I'll look into the Grohetherm 800 or 1000. I think this will be ok with the gulper. I think Bristan also use ceramic parts rather than plastic too.

I have no idea why you seem to be linking the shower DRAIN pump with the shower mixer. The Gulper just pumps the shower tray out and  think it is very unlikely that any shower practical on a boat (relatively limited water supplies) will deliver more water than the Gulper can clear. Even if yo did get a build up I would have thought that you would just turn the mixer of while the shower drain pump clears it. In short apart from high end monsoon type showers the gulper should cope with anything yo are likely to buy, in any case it may be that an economy shower head (reduced water usage) would  be a good idea on a boat.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The cheapest shower control will be an on/off valve in the cold supply, then straight to the shower head. No complication from trying to blend in the right amount of hot water and will be very bracing first thing in the morning! 😀

I think we will look at Grohe or Bristan. They have worked well in our house so fingers crossed.

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I just used a normal domestic one.

It can be 'surface mounted' (as mine) or have the water supply coming in thru the wall into the back of the shower unit.

IMG_20160131_132721.jpg

The Mira units are good - and you can take the valve unit out of the housing to clean it (which they say you should do). Replacement valve units are over £130 so you need to make sure that they are drained totally (or remove it from the housing)  if your bathroom might freeze

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

The Gulper just pumps the shower tray out and  think it is very unlikely that any shower practical on a boat (relatively limited water supplies) will deliver more water than the Gulper can clear.

I recently fitted a gulper 220, when testing I used a hose pipe, I was amazed how much water the gulper shifted, it far out stripped the hose pipe...

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I have no idea why you seem to be linking the shower DRAIN pump with the shower mixer. 

I picked that up from the OP's first post but thought it might just be the way I was reading it.

You can use any shower mixer you want, it will make no difference to the drain pump. I think like me, most people install the gulper with a manual switch. Mine is just above the top of the shower enclosure so I can switch it off while I'm in the shower. Although you can run the gulper dry I don't imagine it does it much good and it may last longer if you don't.

IMG_20220429_210836.jpg

Edited by blackrose