Therapy on My narrowboat

LadyR

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Most responders are overlooking the fact that a lot of counselling is done over a screen or on the phone these days.

If the business is to be done entirely online or by phone, then it isn't really any different from the way many people have worked from their boat over the last couple of years. If that is what is planned the OP can just go ahead and do it anywhere with an Internet connection and nobody is going to stop her. But if its online only, what is the point of it being done from a boat? I thought the OP was offering the experience of being on the boat as part of the therapy, in which case the considerations discussed above may well apply.

Edited by David Mack

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just a thought. My DiL got her Doctorate of Psychology and while working towards it and with lesser qualifications she worked in a local doctor's surgery and they ask her to come back. As it seems NHS counseling treatment is only for a few sessions and it seems to provide a room, I wonder if it is worth investigating because it may allow you to CC in a given area within traveling distance of the surgery, it seems several on here do legally CC and work at a fixed locatation. and it solves the insurance and premises bit.

Don't start us off again!

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Most responders are overlooking the fact that a lot of counselling is done over a screen or on the phone these days.

I don't know how it eventually turned out but I do recall that a short while back there was concern that marinas my resist people working from a residential mooring, even if it is only online.

It may be that, although not wholly legit, it is difficult to police!

First ethical question , do you have other crew members? Is the cabin  suitable for one to one sessions to allow a confidential environment.

If you are considering on-line counselling , I would recommend doing further training to equip yourself with the different aspects you do not require for face to face counselling such as secure email for contracting. Secure software (Zoom is not 100% secure). Procedures for reconnecting if a session is interrupted, insurance, payment methods etc.

Given a good wifi signal this should allow you to cruise  and deal with clients.

As you mentioned I would start this off  with discussing this at Supervision

9 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Don't start us off again!

I don't know how it eventually turned out but I do recall that a short while back there was concern that marinas my resist people working from a residential mooring, even if it is only online.

It may be that, although not wholly legit, it is difficult to police!

Edited by MrsM

I wish the OP luck. I don’t see why it couldn’t work. 
Personally I’d choose part of the Cheshire ring (or even just half of it) as an area and see how it went.

Maybe the odd zoom call or whatever if an appointment can’t be kept. But the idea of basing the meetings on a boat is what will make it special and unique. 
Any bureaucracy can be overcome. Crack on with it and make it work. 👍

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I wish the OP luck. I don’t see why it couldn’t work. 
Personally I’d choose part of the Cheshire ring (or even just half of it) as an area and see how it went.

Maybe the odd zoom call or whatever if an appointment can’t be kept. But the idea of basing the meetings on a boat is what will make it special and unique. 
Any bureaucracy can be overcome. Crack on with it and make it work. 👍

Thank you very much! I’m certainly going to explore all avenues before “giving up”.  I do like a challenge. I can but try and if the answer is no at the end of it, then I will be content.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

• Greenie 2

On 29/04/2022 at 16:26, Ogwr said:

First ethical question , do you have other crew members? Is the cabin  suitable for one to one sessions to allow a confidential environment.

A very valid point. I can see very little confidentiality if moored along the towpath as 5mm of steel is not much of a sound barrier. It would be very easy for conversations to be overheard.