Colwick Marina - Update

Steve Buxton

Featured Posts

As a newbie when we first got our boat we searched from Newark down to Shardlow to find a suitable marina to moor our 23 foot narrowboat.  We looked at what reviews we could find and were nearly put off from looking at Colwick Marina (Nottingham) but we are glad we did look there.

Compared with many marinas it is on the basic side but we didn't want lots of frills we wanted reasonable value and near to home.

Pros: Probably the cheapest along that stretch of the Trent.  Quiet. Secure - 2 x padlocked gated access to get in the marina and a locked gate at the end of the pontoons (see below).  Very friendly and approachable staff. Water points on the end of each pontoon. Nice secluded location, on the edge of Colwick Country Park, but with easy access to Nottingham. Friendly (apparently) owners club on site with a bar and various activities such as barbeques and quiz nights (not tried it yet). Pump out facilities (one off annual fee). Oil disposal point. Elsan disposal point.

Cons: No electricity points (at the moment). No toilet block within the marina yet (public toilets just outside the marina gates). No shower block (yet). No residential moorings.

Two of the pontoons have been replaced with new structures - new steel structure with composite mesh walkways and coded access gates at the entrance. Four more pontoons will be replaced this summer/autumn, and the final two pontoons will be replaced next year, along with an upgrade to the river pontoons some time after that (residential I think).

They are hoping to have a feasibility study on the possible provision of toilet/shower blocks and electricity supply (although of course that will probably affect the mooring fees 😞

If you have questions please feel free to ask. If you have been put off by previous reviews, please have a fresh look (I am not on commission 🙂 )

Yes I think Colwick has always been cheaper for the reasons you mention but it does always seem a pleasant spot.

You make it sound attractive . The absence of shore power would be a deterrent for my chief officer.

I use Farndon mainly because I live in the village and the other marinas locally are much the same price.

I did look at Farndon because of the facilities, but it seemed a bit pricier than the others and (perhaps unfairly) I was given the impression by some people that it was a bit snobbish 🙂  If that is unfair that you have the opportunity to refute it 🙂 

33 minutes ago, Steve Buxton said:

I did look at Farndon because of the facilities, but it seemed a bit pricier than the others and (perhaps unfairly) I was given the impression by some people that it was a bit snobbish 🙂  If that is unfair that you have the opportunity to refute it 🙂 

On the whole I don't find boat owners to be snobbish. 

But I have met  few boat owners who are snobs including some narrowboat owners.

There must be  300 or more  boats at Farndon so I doubt anyone knows everyone. So it would be surprising if there were no snobbish people there.

I wouldn't say anyone I know personally  at Farndon who is snobbish. At one time there has been a 'my boat is bigger than your boat' group but they have moved on.

Farndon and Newark are about the same rates last time I looked which was probably a year ago . Kings put their prices up a lot and are probably much the  same.

Colwick used to be half price.

I have just looked back to Feb/March this year and managed to find 3 of the quotes I got. Farndon was £ 1,848 per year, Beeston was £ 1,076 and Kings was £ 1,274.  If I remember we are paying just under £ 1,000 at Colwick.  All prices were non-electric per year.  Based on 23" Foot boat.  I didn't like Beeston because it was a linear river mooring and it would have entailed a fair old walk to get to the mooring we were offered and you have to "climb" up and down the steps at the entrance gate.  I even had a look at Hazelford and thought they were overpriced (approx. £1,300 for linear river pontoons and little in the way of services). All opinions are personal of course and everyone may be looking for something different.

16 hours ago, Steve Buxton said:

As a newbie when we first got our boat we searched from Newark down to Shardlow to find a suitable marina to moor our 23 foot narrowboat.  We looked at what reviews we could find and were nearly put off from looking at Colwick Marina (Nottingham) but we are glad we did look there.

Compared with many marinas it is on the basic side but we didn't want lots of frills we wanted reasonable value and near to home.

Pros: Probably the cheapest along that stretch of the Trent.  Quiet. Secure - 2 x padlocked gated access to get in the marina and a locked gate at the end of the pontoons (see below).  Very friendly and approachable staff. Water points on the end of each pontoon. Nice secluded location, on the edge of Colwick Country Park, but with easy access to Nottingham. Friendly (apparently) owners club on site with a bar and various activities such as barbeques and quiz nights (not tried it yet). Pump out facilities (one off annual fee). Oil disposal point. Elsan disposal point.

Cons: No electricity points (at the moment). No toilet block within the marina yet (public toilets just outside the marina gates). No shower block (yet). No residential moorings.

Two of the pontoons have been replaced with new structures - new steel structure with composite mesh walkways and coded access gates at the entrance. Four more pontoons will be replaced this summer/autumn, and the final two pontoons will be replaced next year, along with an upgrade to the river pontoons some time after that (residential I think).

They are hoping to have a feasibility study on the possible provision of toilet/shower blocks and electricity supply (although of course that will probably affect the mooring fees 😞

If you have questions please feel free to ask. If you have been put off by previous reviews, please have a fresh look (I am not on commission 🙂 )

There is also a good slip to drag big boats out to work on them. Very handy.

This was another quote from the very informative e-mail just sent out :

Cradle

Drawings are being finalised ready to go out to tender.

Amendments to the original design include increase of weight capacity from 13.2 tonnes to 15 tonnes. Widening of uprights to include an additional foot of width taking capacity to 13ft.

On 28/04/2022 at 22:22, Steve Buxton said:

I have just looked back to Feb/March this year and managed to find 3 of the quotes I got. Farndon was £ 1,848 per year, Beeston was £ 1,076 and Kings was £ 1,274.  If I remember we are paying just under £ 1,000 at Colwick.  All prices were non-electric per year.  Based on 23" Foot boat.  I didn't like Beeston because it was a linear river mooring and it would have entailed a fair old walk to get to the mooring we were offered and you have to "climb" up and down the steps at the entrance gate.  I even had a look at Hazelford and thought they were overpriced (approx. £1,300 for linear river pontoons and little in the way of services). All opinions are personal of course and everyone may be looking for something different.

They must have put the moorings up at Hazelford a fair amount then. We very nearly took a mooring there (for a 25ft boat) and the price was under £1k. 

Hazelford always looks quite fully occupied when we pass by.

Its a nice enough spot but no toilets or other facilities  .But they do have shore power  on the pontoon.

I am guessing you would get a discount off the monthly price for an annually renewable contract paid in advance.

image.png.2a9a7af491ee106b3145841715a97f3d.png