Avon Ring

Featured Posts

Ah - I hope the Weighbridge is back on form - it's one of my favourites, but can be a bit temperamental.

Last time I was in Alvechurch (during Covid) it happened to be closed and a guy in boatyard said they had given up trying to work out which nights it might be open, as there didn't seem to be any particular pattern!

We moved on a couple of minutes to the Crown Inn, which I hadn't tried before, and which turned out to be excellent (beer and food). Also quite handy moorings. 

Hope you are enjoying your trip.

Big old tunnel tomorrow! Blue Bell Cider House? Brum?

21 hours ago, zimzim said:

Ah - I hope the Weighbridge is back on form - it's one of my favourites, but can be a bit temperamental.

Last time I was in Alvechurch (during Covid) it happened to be closed and a guy in boatyard said they had given up trying to work out which nights it might be open, as there didn't seem to be any particular pattern!

We moved on a couple of minutes to the Crown Inn, which I hadn't tried before, and which turned out to be excellent (beer and food). Also quite handy moorings. 

Hope you are enjoying your trip.

Big old tunnel tomorrow! Blue Bell Cider House? Brum?

Thanks, trip is going very well, we're now just above Lapworth. The North Stratford canal is absolutely beautiful - the sun was out most of today and made it lovely. Can't believe we're getting closer to home now and will officially complete the ring tomorrow when get to the turn off to the GU half way down Lapworth. Then got to go down Hatton and up Stockton before we get back to Ventnor.  More boats today, especially ABC hire ones - everyone seemed cheery as we went past except one group who were returning to base as one of their crew mates had ripped their thumb off on the ropes!!!!!

9 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Thanks, trip is going very well, we're now just above Lapworth. The North Stratford canal is absolutely beautiful - the sun was out most of today and made it lovely. Can't believe we're getting closer to home now and will officially complete the ring tomorrow when get to the turn off to the GU half way down Lapworth. Then got to go down Hatton and up Stockton before we get back to Ventnor.  More boats today, especially ABC hire ones - everyone seemed cheery as we went past except one group who were returning to base as one of their crew mates had ripped their thumb off on the ropes!!!!!

Thumbnail (ouch!) or thumb (OUCH!!!) ?  😞

3 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Excellent (apart from that thumb (thumbnail?) - I do hope that wasn't one of those incidents where someone wraps the rope around their hand to give themselves purchase - it worries me whenever I see this!)

I think ABC are working out of Nuneaton for the first time this year, so I expect they have more boats on the Warwickshire Ring. (By same token, Kate Boats are not working out of Warwick for the moment.)

The Cape of Good Hope beckons!

15 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Ripped their thumb off?????????????????????????????

Returning to base?  Surely going to A&E would be the thing?

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Ripped their thumb off?????????????????????????????

Returning to base?  Surely going to A&E would be the thing?

Yes the thumb was ripped off. Luckily a passing doctor helped and they went to A&E in Worcester. The rest of the crew were taking the boat back..... as it was ripped off they wont be able to put it back on apparently.... actually quite life changing thinking about it, no wonder the insurance claims on thumbs are higher than fingers...

woke up today with it raining, so later start to laptop, maybe later today...

19 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Yes the thumb was ripped off. Luckily a passing doctor helped and they went to A&E in Worcester. The rest of the crew were taking the boat back..... as it was ripped off they wont be able to put it back on apparently.... actually quite life changing thinking about it, no wonder the insurance claims on thumbs are higher than fingers...

Oh my, that's really unfortunate -- it seemed a thumbnail was more likely, but losing a thumb is obviously far worse. A friend of mine had a similar life-changing incident on a sailing boat last year where he almost lost his hand in a rope incident, they (mostly) sewed it back on but I don't know if he'll ever make a complete recovery... 😞

56 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Ugh.  I wish I hadn't asked now.  That just made me feel sick.

I've seen someone close to losing a finger as a rope they wrapped around their hand was getting pulled tighter and tighter.  Fortunately the boat pulling on the rope stopped before the finger popped off.  There was plenty of screaming.

Robert 

absolute. Fantastic

we are doing the Avon ring in June it’s the second time we have done it  but this time we are going clockwise 

as you say it isa very nice ring this time we are setting off from  Alverchurch

• 1 month later...

This is a very useful thread, thank you!

We're considering the same route in August, starting from Stockton Top Marina, so pretty much next door to where you started. We've been to Stratford before, with a short trip on the Avon too cool off. Then again, we do love the route to Lechlade!

Hmm decisions decisions :)

Did you find time to stop for a day anywhere or were you going for it every day?

Edited by Morat

On 12/07/2022 at 15:07, Morat said:

This is a very useful thread, thank you!

We're considering the same route in August, starting from Stockton Top Marina, so pretty much next door to where you started. We've been to Stratford before, with a short trip on the Avon too cool off. Then again, we do love the route to Lechlade!

Hmm decisions decisions :)

Did you find time to stop for a day anywhere or were you going for it every day?

We travelled each day.... but thats the bit we enjoy  :)    We stopped for a few hours each day for lunch but that was about it?

Hi 

We got back from the Stratford ring  two weeks ago after two weeks holiday it definitely was not a rush we started from Alverchurch  and went clock wise  stopping at numerous  pubs as we went

i my self thinks it’s the most beautiful ring I have been on  and that’s most of them

the loc is are a little hard for the girls to wind the paddle on but that’s the fun of boating 

ps we did the Tardebigge.  locks in 3.5 hours it says 7 in the book  and the ring was very quiet from traffic 

Graham

34 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

Hi 

We got back from the Stratford ring  two weeks ago after two weeks holiday it definitely was not a rush we started from Alverchurch  and went clock wise  stopping at numerous  pubs as we went

i my self thinks it’s the most beautiful ring I have been on  and that’s most of them

the loc is are a little hard for the girls to wind the paddle on but that’s the fun of boating 

ps we did the Tardebigge.  locks in 3.5 hours it says 7 in the book  and the ring was very quiet from traffic 

Graham

With a big enough crew who know what they're doing (e.g. sending ahead to prepare next lock and staying behind boat to close up) and no slowcoach in front, you can do Tardebigge in 3 hours or less if everything goes well -- we certainly would have if not for the single boater we caught up with (who I went ahead to help)...

Edited by IanD