All routes out if Yorkshire closed ...again

Midnight

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

The top gates leak no more than others in the Wigan area although the bottom gates are in need of attention.

It is the broken towpath side ground paddle which drains the pound every night.

I thought it was Vandalism.... at least according to CRT 🤣😂🤭🤣

On 02/07/2022 at 14:54, IanD said:

Only 2 of the 3 cross-Pennine routes are possible with a 62' boat, to be able to do all three (to improve the odds) 60' is the absolute maximum -- with care and the possibility of getting wet... 😉

You can't get through Shepley Bridge lock with a 62ft boat so that rules out both the Huddersfield and Rochdale. Not even sure you could get down the Broad or Salterhebble

Edited by Midnight

20 minutes ago, Midnight said:

You can't get through Shepley Bridge lock with a 62ft boat so that rules out both the Huddersfield and Rochdale. Not even sure you could get down the Broad or Salterhebble

Certainly not Salterhebble, that's where the "60' absolute maximum" came from...

On 03/07/2022 at 17:47, Pie Eater said:

The top gates leak no more than others in the Wigan area although the bottom gates are in need of attention.

It is the broken towpath side ground paddle which drains the pound every night.

The broken towpath ground paddle was being repaired this morning when I went past.

• Greenie 1

I have noticed quite a few narrowboats and widebeams  travelling upstream on the Trent.

A good thing as it gives C&RT no excuse to further reduce services.

Very shallow on the Trent between Torksey and Cromwell yesterday but nothing to bother a narrowboat if keeping to the channel. 

Edited by MartynG

Again?

Well not quite yet, because Rochdale summit still open on restriction. With the hot weather forecast for the foreseeable our chances of escaping from Yorkshire around the 23rd are looking slim. Even Trent Falls is not a viable option as our travelling companion, Big Jimmy is single handed and doesn't fancy it with two dogs on-board. 

• 4 weeks later...

Some maintenence is done.

But not enough.

The C&RT simply need more money.

Unfortunately the inland waterways are low priority and it seems increasinly so as the world moves from one difficult time to another.

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Is this a case of "Schrödinger's" Trust?

They never do any maintenance and are always having stoppages to fix stuff?

Certainly the case on the Tinsley lock flight. Two permanent lock keepers who do very little maintenance or upkeep if any to the flight, even when it’s closed to boats they do none.

It must be one of the worst kept flights in the country that has full time permanent lock keepers and a full time CaRT volunteer coordinator with a team of volunteers looking after a couple of miles of canal. 

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Certainly the case on the Tinsley lock flight. Two permanent lock keepers who do very little maintenance or upkeep if any to the flight, even when it’s closed to boats they do none.

It must be one of the worst kept flights in the country that has full time permanent lock keepers and a full time CaRT volunteer coordinator with a team of volunteers looking after a couple of miles of canal. 

I doubt they can do any work without authorisation and instructions.

I also suspect in general at C&RT there are underlying employment  issues and have been the last three years  if not longer.  This may also be related to under funding eg C&RT cant afford to pay overtime. At lot of maintenence which lock keepers used to do,  like  like changing a light bulb is contracted out .  The  health and safety gone mad factor affects all work environments.

22 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I doubt they can do any work without authorisation and instructions.

I would say in this case they would rather ignore instruction then do the work.  I’m sure they don’t need instruction or authorisation to keep lock landings clear and safe on a flight they are appointed permanently on. I’m talking about basic routine upkeep, nothing major.

Edited by PD1964

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

At lot of maintenence which lock keepers used to do,  like  like changing a light bulb is contracted out . 

I wouldn't mind if they never EVER changed the lightbulbs in the locks....

6 hours ago, MtB said:

I wouldn't mind if they never EVER changed the lightbulbs in the locks....

It's a metaphoric lightbulb ;)

As so much is currently closed the CRT employees are on maintenance, I am advised, has to be a good thing. 

Also lots of litter picking volunteers this week, but I've yet to see these green flags (this is a joke, I want to see no more plastic signage). 

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Maybe another Yorkshire lockdown is on the cards this year. Looks like the main route in/out closed already.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/24969-bridge-83-keadby-rail-drawbridge

I was chatting to a pair of boaters yesterday waiting to go through, they are moored at the sanitation station, they seem to be enjoying the stay, I only wish the new boat had been ready for the trip

40 minutes ago, Momac said:

It doesn't open, it failed on test apparently