Mixing different paints together

Featured Posts

Hello all. 

The paintwork on one side of my boat was in a shocking state, and i got it professionally repainted not long ago, to broadly match the old colour scheme.  I couldnt afford to do the other side, which was in significantly better shape. I would however like to have a go at doing it now. 

I have some paint left over from the pro job - about 1.5 ltrs Craftmaster Coach Enamel - plus 1.5 ltrs of never used Masons P Type Polyurethane. The paints were specially mixed to the same code, but they are miles apart! So i was thinking, can i mix the two thoroughly and use the new colour mix, or are the characteristics of the paint radically different? I reckon 3 litres for one side (55ft) will be about there. I would add, it doesnt have to perfectly match the other side of the boat - you only see one side at a time!

Also, can i just put two coats of paint over the old gloss ( similar colour) after rubbing down/keying, or do i have to go through the primer/2 undercoats rigmarole . The old gloss paint is sound and relatively unblemished, if somewhat faded. Its pale green.

Cheers in advance......

Edited by Hartlebury lad

A quick google says you can’t mix them in the pot together. 
but you can paint the Polyurethane over the enamel. 
But I’d check and read up on that properly. 

As long as you provide a very good key by rubbing into the old surface you should be ok to paint on top. 

But wait for advice from someone more expert. 
Id be interested to know the answers because I have a faded green which could do with tidying up. 

I doubt you'd need 3L per coat, craftsmaster say 12 sq m per litre and I assume you have windows...

Afraid I'd get ye olde wallet out, buy some more craftsmaster and do 2-3 coats, it's a lot of effort to skimp on a few quid, mess it up and have to start over. TBH I'd look closely, deal with any rust areas, prime those and undercoat the whole lot as a solid colour base for the topcoat, which will be "see-through" to some extent even with a couple of coats.

Edited by Slow and Steady

If the existing paint is sound but faded, and the new colour is similar to the old you will be fine with sanding the existing and putting on a couple of top coats. The old paint will be well cured, so it shouldn't matter if the new paint is not the same type. If there is a significant colour change, or extensive areas where you have had to go back to bare metal and reprime, then an overall undercoat will provide a much better base for the top coats.

I just repainted Midnight 57ft and I would say 1 litre per side did the job. Craftmaster is excellent paint but very expensive. I have two unopened tins which are 18 years old so recently asked both Craftmaster and Phil Speight if I should try using them. Craftmaster naturally recommended I didn't, Phil also suggested I shouldn't but went on to say he probably would but would add some white spirit and linseed oil. I also have an 18 year old opened tin of red which I use for painting the flashes on the stern. I've done this every two years for ages and never had any issue apart from the rear fender rubbing some off.