Alternator warning lamps

Featured Posts

Hello all

I have a straightforward-ish dual battery bank setup with each fed by it’s own dedicated alternator.

I’ve just swapped my domestic alternator for a new one and the new one requires a warning lamp on D+ whereas the previous one didn’t. I’ve wired it one up, fed from the ignition switch and all works as expected i.e. light comes on, engine starts, light goes out, alternator charges batteries. Great.

But, then I got to thinking I’ve taken the feed from the ignition switch i.e. from engine starter battery and connected it through the warning lamp to my domestic alternator. Any issues with this?

gabble

It'll work, but you may get a glow from the light sometimes, particularly if the leisure bank is well discharged, or if the voltages set by alternator regulators aren't particularly well matched.

Several engine manufacturers panels are wired the same, it saves another fused connection to the cabin batteries. It will be fine.  The first time I came across this was on a Barrus panel, confused me for a while but as it works, accepted it.