Huawei B535 Routers

JoeC

Featured Posts

The question below may apply to other Huawei models but I'm concentrating on the B535 as that is what I think I want to buy.

I have seen adverts for B535-232, -235, -333, -932 and more. I'm guessing that the number after the '-' is the region of the world as an Indonesian one is being sold as -932.

Which one is for the UK market? The ones I see most for sale are 232 and 333.

Also, if I were going to run it off 12 volts them and I right in thinking that I need a cigarette socket or such 12v DC-DC inverter with the relevant spec power output for the router? Something like this but with relevant spec ... SM3753 | Custom Power Design Laptop Car Charger, 12V dc Input, 15V dc Output Plug In, 2.4A | RS Components (rs-online.com)

Cheers

Joe

Edited by JoeC

I'm not certain what the different model numbers mean. 

However I've just bought a second hand B535 off ebay and it is a -232 variant. You definitely need to regulate the 12v supply or you'll end up with an ex b535. I plan to use this:  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374014175057?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D672e3a7c81f141308906e844c127708b%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D222578813199%26itm%3D374014175057%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A8d7d0725-c3b9-11ec-9a47-5e3ca188617d|parentrq%3A5b1f625a1800a77d93a4003cfffe911c|iid%3A1 

The RS components one outputs 15 volts and will blow up the B535 even quicker than an unregulated supply! It's designed for laptops I think.

Edited by booke23

I have the 232 version from 3 so it should be the UK version. The thing to check is what frequencies each one runs as a minimum you need channels 1,3 and 20.

On the boat I run it from a hard wired 12v converter like the eBay one above. In the caravan I run it from a usb - 12v converter only 1 amp but it don't get warm.

Edited by Loddon

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

In the caravan I run it from a usb - 12v converter only 1 amp but it don't get warm.

58 minutes ago, Floating Male said:

Various items on eBay similar to the one noted. I think 3A is way more than you need.

I don’t have it in front of me, but I’m sure the mains transformer supplied with the B535 outputs 12V at 1 amp, so the above options are more than enough I think.

17 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

The -232 is the UK variant with no RJ11 port and some features missing, the -235 is the unlocked World variant with RJ11 and all the bells and whistles.

Indeed the 232 doesn't have an RJ11 port but mine is not locked to 3.

Mine is the B535-333. Works fine with one of the new Poynting aerials and a Smarty sim - however!!

I have been having a nightmare trying to use my online bank (Santander). I keep getting locked out and cannot pay bills or transfer money. Having to ring up and going on hold every time for up to an hour is incredibly frustrating - been doing that for nearly a month.

Finally got a tech guru at the bank this morning who immediately noticed that my IP address kept changing - solution was to use either my phone or ipad (ipad is easier for me) and do it through a mobile banking app - it is now (fingers crossed) working perfik!

• Horror 1

Opinions will vary, personally I think the use of 12v stabilised supplies/regulator's unnecessary. But accept that some stuff might not like 14v+ up them. 

I've been running a dlink router like this for over a year and have a who are we b535 which was also quite happy connected direct. (Although not currently using that)

I would be cautious if I was doing an equalisation charge and probably disconnect whilst doing that.

43 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Opinions will vary, personally I think the use of 12v stabilised supplies/regulator's unnecessary. But accept that some stuff might not like 14v+ up them. 

I've been running a dlink router like this for over a year and have a who are we b535 which was also quite happy connected direct. (Although not currently using that)

I would be cautious if I was doing an equalisation charge and probably disconnect whilst doing that.

Many years ago I worked in electronics manufacture. Generally speaking any electronic component will tolerate 10% variation in voltage (unless it has been designed to tolerate a greater variation). So you’re fine up to 13.2V. However start the engine or sun hitting the solar panels pushes the voltage to over 14V on my boat, where all bets would be off for a device designed to run on a 12v supply.

I read elsewhere on this forum that a member had a B535 connected direct to the 12V system on his narrowboat, and it indeed did not like it up them, and failed.    

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Useful Android app for Huawei routers, checking signal strength and locking to a particular band to avoid a slow cell.

It is hidden on google play as they promote the paid version

Got a 404 on your link when I went to Google play. This works though, gives you the choice to download the APK and side load it. I have not tested the app, though.

https://steprimo.com/android/us/app/pl.thecoder.huactrl/huaCtrl-manage-Huawei-router/

Its a good app, one of the "3" masts near here has an issue with Band 1 which is what it normally connects. The app allows me to select only band 3 so I get a better connection.

Almost tempted to get the paid for version.

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I bought ...

Huawei B535-333

Poynting XPOL-1 v2 5G

KUMA 400mm mag pole

Running on a THREE unlimited SIM for £12:67 a month (12 month contract).

Aerial cable plugs directly into back of router without any adaptors. Not setup the aerial yet but currently using the router's own aerials for the time being. 

Lets see how I get on.

Joe

• Greenie 2

I am thinking of upgrading to one of these (B535) on the assumption that 5g units are going to be out of my price range for some time? Just wondering what size the plug is for when a 12v converter is added I have seen 2.1mm and 2.5mm mentioned?

3 hours ago, Phoenix_V said:

I have seen 2.1mm and 2.5mm mentioned?

I'm not sure what those measurements would be. ID? Just measured the the plug on the mains transformer that came with my recently bought 535 and the OD is 5.5mm. I can't accurately measure the ID but it is around 2.5mm.  5.5mm OD x 2.5mm ID is a plug size that exists.

You do get a 230V AC to 12V DC converter in the box if you buy new anyway.

6 hours ago, Phoenix_V said:

I am thinking of upgrading to one of these (B535) on the assumption that 5g units are going to be out of my price range for some time? Just wondering what size the plug is for when a 12v converter is added I have seen 2.1mm and 2.5mm mentioned?

I've just fitted one in my boat using the 12v converter method and it's a 2.1mm plug.

You could just cut the wire off the mains transformer and wire that to the 12v converter, but that renders your mains transformer useless so I bought this from ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351319811869?var=620459416696

And this to regulate the voltage I bought this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353335015916

I think you're right....a 5G router and associated antennas are not going to be affordable for a while, and in any case 5G is not really available outside big cities at the moment. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, booke23 said:

I've just fitted one in my boat using the 12v converter method and it's a 2.1mm plug.

You could just cut the wire off the mains transformer and wire that to the 12v converter, but that renders your mains transformer useless so I bought this from ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351319811869?var=620459416696

And this to regulate the voltage I bought this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353335015916

I think you're right....a 5G router and associated antennas are not going to be affordable for a while, and in any case 5G is not really available outside big cities at the moment. 

Especially if you want 4x4 MIMO and external antenna connections for maximum data rate, these are *really* thin and far between (and expensive) -- here's an example, £425+VAT:

https://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/oldstore/H685-5G-Router.html

Beware of some other routers like the modified Huawei from https://router-mods.co.uk/

These bring out all the internal antennae to connectors, but there are 8 of these because 4G and 5G are separate (and you need both for NSA 5G in the UK), so for 4x4 MIMO you need 2 4x4 MIMO antennae like the Poynting (£106+VAT each, +3dBi claimed) or Fullband (£125+VAT, +6dBi claimed) ones -- not just cost, you have to find space for 2 of them and they can't be right next to each other.

https://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/oldstore/Poynting-XPOL-1-5G-Omni-4-4-MIMO-4G-5G-Antenna.html

https://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/oldstore/Fullband-FB4X4MIMO-5G.html

Of course you can use 2x2 MIMO for 4G and 5G (one antenna) but then you lose the speed gain that was reported earlier with 4x4 MIMO.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, booke23 said:

2.1mm plugs are pence a bit of flex and a 12v plug to match what you have  and your away. I bought some cheap 1/4 wave magnetic antennae and found that worked perfectly for me.  

Couldn't get anything inside the boat unless I held the router to the window. The cheap stubby mag aerials give me enough forwork teams calls and streaming TV etc...

Obviously if you are really in a not spot then you might need the 100 quid ponting things  ma bobs....

On 12/05/2022 at 20:01, jonathanA said:

2.1mm plugs are pence a bit of flex and a 12v plug to match what you have  and your away. I bought some cheap 1/4 wave magnetic antennae and found that worked perfectly for me.  

Couldn't get anything inside the boat unless I held the router to the window. The cheap stubby mag aerials give me enough forwork teams calls and streaming TV etc...

Obviously if you are really in a not spot then you might need the 100 quid ponting things  ma bobs....

I move about, rarely get no signal, worse thing is getting signal easily, then suddenly no longer available, I live on the boat, so even though it hurts I'm 50/50. Just can't find a magnetic one for this router, other than the little ones linked to earlier. 

I would not be buying the parts, I'm not a DIY electronics type!

I expect the mifi came with a mains plug, . I usually charge the mi fi up, then move it to get best signal.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I move about, rarely get no signal, worse thing is getting signal easily, then suddenly no longer available, I live on the boat, so even though it hurts I'm 50/50. Just can't find a magnetic one for this router, other than the little ones linked to earlier. 

I would not be buying the parts, I'm not a DIY electronics type!

I expect the mifi came with a mains plug, . I usually charge the mi fi up, then move it to get best signal.

I doubt you’ll find an all-in-one solution. You’re probably going to have to use something like a Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001, a pair of SMA Female to TS9 Male adapter cables, and a magnetic pole mount like the Kuma 450mm

I know you’re not keen on Amazon, but at least you can look at the bits. Very simple to assemble, hardest bit is routing the cable, all either screws together or push fits.

17 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I doubt you’ll find an all-in-one solution. You’re probably going to have to use something like a Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001, a pair of SMA Female to TS9 Male adapter cables, and a magnetic pole mount like the Kuma 450mm

I know you’re not keen on Amazon, but at least you can look at the bits. Very simple to assemble, hardest bit is routing the cable, all either screws together or push fits.

That is exactly what I have, I just shove the cable through a hopper window if I need to put the antenna out but generally signal is good enough so I don't bother.