Cutting across the Severn

Bubblebuster

Featured Posts

So what's the story for crossing the Severn from Lydney and then up to Gloucester... or down to Avonmouth.

As a first timer (and no disrespect intended to the experienced) but I guess you'd need to either be foolish or have a pilot on board take charge. Have watched a couple of videos and it looks mighty scary!  

basically the Severn is not safely navigable above Sharpness, the usual route for narrowboats and other craft is from Sharpness to Portishead/Avonmouth Bristol Docks in any event a pilot will be required due to high tidal flow and shifting sand bars, good weather and calm waters are also a requirement along with evidence of fuel polishing and a sound engine. further advice can be obtained from Gloucester or Barry Pilots ..

17 minutes ago, Philip Hooton said:

basically the Severn is not safely navigable above Sharpness,

Quite!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/gloucestershire/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_9107000/9107528.stm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-gloucestershire-54651734

Edited by David Mack

I bet local boaters who moor at Lydney do not take a pilot each time they venture onto the Severn but I am also sure they know the river and how to deal with it. In fact I think it was a boat from Lydney that accompanied one of the intrepid  narrow boaters to the Wye or Ilfracombe. So it all depends upon the OP's experience and boat. A proper sea or estuary boat would be safer than a narrowboat IF the OP has the experience.

I was wondering why a narrow boater would want to berth in Lydney apart from just once to say they had been there.

3 hours ago, Philip Hooton said:

basically the Severn is not safely navigable above Sharpness, the usual route for narrowboats and other craft is from Sharpness to Portishead/Avonmouth Bristol Docks in any event a pilot will be required due to high tidal flow and shifting sand bars, good weather and calm waters are also a requirement along with evidence of fuel polishing and a sound engine. further advice can be obtained from Gloucester or Barry Pilots ..

I wasn't required to show any evidence of fuel polishing or a sound engine when one of the Gloucester pilots boarded my boat at Portishead for the trip up to Sharpness. All he did was check my anchors.

On 22/04/2022 at 13:12, blackrose said:

I wasn't required to show any evidence of fuel polishing or a sound engine when one of the Gloucester pilots boarded my boat at Portishead for the trip up to Sharpness. All he did was check my anchors.

How long ago was that as I was wondering if this was still the case? We are doing Sharpness to Portishead/Bristol next month. We had our fuel polished last week but our friends who are accompanying us haven't had theirs done.

I've done the crossing to Lydney. Go out from Sharpness about 30 minutes before high water, the tide will take you upstream a bit but the Lydney side reverses early and you'll have a gentle ride down to the harbour entrance. Coming back leave a bit before high water and go straight across. Don't do it on a very high tide or in a high wind.

On 22/04/2022 at 13:12, blackrose said:

Anchors of course! Never thought about that if crossing over a river, as for fuel polishing never heard of that either - Googled, YouTubed and now better informed so many thanks for the heads up. Seems that it mainly affects boats of around 15 year old.

1 hour ago, Onewheeler said:

I've done the crossing to Lydney. Go out from Sharpness about 30 minutes before high water, the tide will take you upstream a bit but the Lydney side reverses early and you'll have a gentle ride down to the harbour entrance. Coming back leave a bit before high water and go straight across. Don't do it on a very high tide or in a high wind.

Good to know, cheers.

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

How long ago was that as I was wondering if this was still the case? We are doing Sharpness to Portishead/Bristol next month. We had our fuel polished last week but our friends who are accompanying us haven't had theirs done.

That was 2013, so things may have changed I suppose.

I would suggest that at least your friends dip their tank with a thin clear tube if possible to check for sediment or water at the bottom. You can buy a metre long piece of acrylic tube on ebay very cheaply, but make sure the ID is no more than about 5mm otherwise it's impossible to pick up the fuel and keep it in the tube while you pull the tube out to inspect it.

Edited by blackrose

36 minutes ago, Bubblebuster said:

Anchors of course! Never thought about that if crossing over a river, as for fuel polishing never heard of that either - Googled, YouTubed and now better informed so many thanks for the heads up. Seems that it mainly affects boats of around 15 year old.

On the canals fuel polishing is primarily done to remove water and and bacteria or fuel bug which may be growing at the interface of the water and fuel. Sediment at the bottom of the tank wouldn't affect canal boats unless it reaches the height of the fuel take off pipe inside the tank. However when boats that have never ventured onto lumpy water suddenly start to bounce around on a tidal river or estuary all that sediment can get shaken up and block fuel filters.

Edited by blackrose

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I would suggest that at least your friends dip their tank with a thin clear tube if possible to check for sediment or water at the bottom. You can buy a metre long piece of acrylic tube on ebay very cheaply, but make sure the ID is no more than about 5mm otherwise it's impossible to pick up the fuel and keep it in the tube while you pull the tube out to inspect it.

I would add to say get them to buy  a longer tube and use it as a siphon to "vacuum" the bottom of the tank until they just get clear red diesel. I used 2 liter milk cartons to receive what is sucked out.

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

That might be a good idea. I'd only say that the last time I dipped the tank of my 17 year old boat last summer, it had clear red diesel down to the bottom.

It's never been cleaned or fuel polished.

Yes, but don't you keep on top of the seal for the flush filler plug? Many don't and find loads of water in the tank the first time they do it. For the small cost and such little effort it is not worth taking the risk.

Yes I fitted a locking filler cap about 15 years ago. It overhangs the filler fitting so water can't get in. The design of those brass or chromed flush fillers & caps is awful, I'm surprised they're still "standard" deck fittings. If I still had one I'd stick a piece of waterproof duct tape over it between refilling rather than just relying on an o-ring to seal it.

Edited by blackrose

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I would add to say get them to buy  a longer tube and use it as a siphon to "vacuum" the bottom of the tank until they just get clear red diesel. I used 2 liter milk cartons to receive what is sucked out.

If you use a Pela pump for oil changes it’s very simple to use for the diesel rather than siphoning if it results in a gob full of diesel.  If you cable tie the tube to a batten of wood you can make sure your at the bottom of the tank. Stick it on the low side if you have a heel and pump until it comes out clear. I’ve always thought that the thumb over tube method to be a bit suspect as water could drop out as you lift it. Make sure the bottom of the tube on the  Pela is cut at a slant

My filler is flush and I check The diesel after every winter in case it lets rain water in. I also fill the tank to the top to minimise condensation.

i also carry a couple of spare fuel filter cartridges for lumpy water.

i’m never quite sure why they can’t fit a drain tube in the side of the tank. If it dipped to close to the bottom you could at least run any water off the bottom into a milk carton even if you couldn’t drain the tank

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Yes I fitted a locking filler cap about 15 years ago. It overhangs the filler fitting so water can't get in. The design of those brass or chromed flush fillers & caps is awful, I'm surprised they're still "standard" deck fittings. If I still had one I'd stick a piece of waterproof duct tape over it between refilling rather than just relying on an o-ring to seal it.

I have one and hate it. It does worry me and I have bought a couple of spare o rings and keep them well greased with gland grease. I rely on the fact that water isn’t as searching as diesel as i’m not sure if it would hold diesel if the boat were upside down!

i keep meaning to ask my welding shop if they would weld an upstand to it or if it’s a No No

1 hour ago, Peugeot 106 said:

I’ve always thought that the thumb over tube method to be a bit suspect as water could drop out as you lift it. 

That only happens if the tube diameter is too wide. If the ID of the tube is <5mm as I said earlier, the vacuum in the tube means nothing drops out.

Edited by blackrose

15 hours ago, blackrose said:

He has one of those Pela pumps and regularly checks his fuel tank with it. My boat is a lot older than his and I'm rather paranoid so I don't mind paying to have the fuel polishing before I go on tidal waters. The guy I use charges £135 (subject to changes in filter costs). He has virtually the same equipment as that large well known company that charges 4 times that but he does it part time and doesn't have the overheads, advertising costs and vat they they do.

He's based near Penkridge and would travel a15-20 mile radius so if anybody wants theirs doing send me a private message and I can put you in  touch.

On 23/04/2022 at 14:49, Onewheeler said:

Don't forget to book the harbour gates at Lydney! Check that someone is there before setting off. You'd feel a right plonker if you arrived and found them shut. Only alternative then would be to go down to Portishead. VHF marine is useful to maintain contact with Sharpness (or other places in an emergency). And, basically, don't even think about going up the river to Gloucester. It might be an idea to call SARA and see if they fancy launching one of their boats to accompany you as a training exercise. At least you could hand them your camera for a photo!