L shape seating to Pullman Dinette

Featured Posts

Hi All

We're considering the internal layout of the boat and one option I like is to convert our existing L shaped seating/dining area to a Pullman type dinette. Are there people who do these sort of conversions as woodworking etc is not my thing! -  looking to get rough costs... we're in Warwick area...  thanks!!

20190803_114648.jpg

A few years ago on one of our boats we wanted a dinette. We looked at making one like yourself and then someone told me to look at caravan/motorhome breakers. We found a bloke breaking American RVs. We bought a complete set up taken out of some big American RV which was easy to put into the boat, complete with all cushions etc etc. The price was way cheaper than having one built and it was great.

• Greenie 3

We've been considering just such a conversion and have been trying to get quotes from joiners in the Crick area for more than 6 months without success until last week when we received a quote of £1750 sans cushions from a joiner at Long Buckby. 

I think i’ve seen one somewhere that was modular, so would convert between Pullman or L-Shape. Something to consider.

I’d also reckon you’ll need to be prepared to travel to get the best deal or indeed availability.

Trying to get hold of any tradesman these days is like trying to nail fog to the wall :( 

• Greenie 1

We used to have exactly the same layout - L dinette next to the galley - on our NB. At one point we thought about doing the same as the OP to have the option of an extra double berth and then realised what a major hassle it was going to be to rework it (and my dad had fitted out the boat himself). It just seemed that it would be easier to be able to drop the table and have some brackets and supports rather than having an extra thing that pulled out (and impeded access to storage space). The same principle as seen on lots of V berth cabin cruisers.

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

We used to have exactly the same layout - L dinette next to the galley - on our NB. At one point we thought about doing the same as the OP to have the option of an extra double berth and then realised what a major hassle it was going to be to rework it (and my dad had fitted out the boat himself). It just seemed that it would be easier to be able to drop the table and have some brackets and supports rather than having an extra thing that pulled out (and impeded access to storage space). The same principle as seen on lots of V berth cabin cruisers.

Frankly I would be surprised if that L-shaped arrangement wasn't already configured so you could lower the table to bench level, or have a separate pull-out bed section, and rearrange the seat and back cushions to form a complete double mattress.

Edited by David Mack

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Frankly I would be surprised if that L-shaped arrangement wasn't already configured so you could lower the table to bench level, or have a separate pull-out bed section, and rearrange the seat and back cushions to form a complete double mattress.

Yes, it does look that way. I'd missed the pullman bit and just though the OP wanted to have a pull out thing. 

I think it looks a nice layout. The OP’s. 
Ideal for turning into a double bed and I guess more comfortable to sit at, being able to stretch the legs out with out kicking the person in front. 
And you can have an easy nap stretched out down the side there. 

Which configuration will give more table space? I imagine the L shape does. 

Edited by Goliath

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

You're correct in that it does drop down to form a double bed. The many cushions like to shuffle about though so my son prefers to just sleep on it how it is in a sleeping bag!

thanks for all the comments!  

one thing we dont like about the way it is, is the table always gets in the way when walking up and down if anyone is using it.... the seats are not that comfy - certainly thinner than the bed settees you get from Narrowboat & Barge |Boat Seating | Space Saving |Narrowboat Sofa bed - Sofabed Barn for instance..

I can recommend Mark Garlick. https://www.facebook.com/mgboatfitters.co.uk/

He did new worktops for us but can do most things. 

I installed a half dinette in our boat and I think your soft furnishings could be thicker and firmer which would make a difference to comfort. If they were all running across the boat in "sleeping configuration" then they wouldn't be able to move around.

I've also seen tables like yours that have a piano hinge lengthways to allow better corridor width. Very cheap solution. An alternative would be a second thinner table top.

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

You're correct in that it does drop down to form a double bed. The many cushions like to shuffle about though so my son prefers to just sleep on it how it is in a sleeping bag!

Thin-ish mattress topper (about 2 inch thick) on top of the cushions, fitted sheet over the lot. Stops ours moving anyway, and stores quite small in a vacuum storage bag ;) 

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

Thin-ish mattress topper (about 2 inch thick) on top of the cushions, fitted sheet over the lot. Stops ours moving anyway, and stores quite small in a vacuum storage bag ;) 

Mattress toppers make these kind of convert-a-beds (L-shaped or dinette) considerably more comfortable, because the cushions are never thick enough (usually about 4") to act as a decent mattress... 😞

The Panda memory-foam one does very well in reviews but costs £140 for a standard UK double. We've got them at home and they're excellent, will be using them for both main bed and dinette on the boat 🙂

https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/house-garden/bedroom/best-mattress-toppers-a6999421.html

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/health-and-grooming/1405787/best-mattress-toppers-to-buy