Back to Continuous Cruising

sue.stew

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

After being in a marina for a couple of years we have decided to 'travel '. After changing our status on C & R T website I have today received a very condescending response basically saying 'do you know what you are doing?' 

Why is it that as long as you are registered in a marina you receive nothing?

The minute you step out and actually travel the waterway it's like you shouldn't be there? If I wanted to stay put I would have chosen a caravan.

Keep me sane with your responses.....please!

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, sue.stew said:

Hi Everyone

After being in a marina for a couple of years we have decided to 'travel '. After changing our status on C & R T website I have today received a very condescending response basically saying 'do you know what you are doing?' 

The minute you step out and actually travel the waterway it's like you shouldn't be there? If I wanted to stay put I would have chosen a caravan.

Can you post the transcript of the email in order that we can judge it 'very condescending' or just pointing out what your obligations are.

PS caravans move. Ive covered more miles in mine than the entire UK waterway system.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Because all too often those who purport to be continuous cruisers are in reality continuous moorers, and CRT are doing what little they can to ensure boat owners actually cruise rather than doing everything they can to avoid it.

Tam

• Greenie 3

Whaaat!!! You're thinking of moving it!!! You'll only encourage others to do it and then where will we be? The waterways will grind to a halt unless 90% of the boats are tied up at any one time. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sue.stew said:

Hi Everyone

Because when you have a mooring in a marina you aren't generally flouting continuous cruising rules, so CRT quite sensibly want to know that you aren't going to do that when you state that you will no longer have a mooring.

1 hour ago, sue.stew said:

Did CRT state that you shouldn't be cruising or did they just want to make sure that you understand your obligations as a continuous cruiser? 

Understand also that as a continuous cruiser you are likely to come into contact with CRT more than had you kept your mooring in the marina. If that's going to make you feel anxious, angry or stressed, etc, then perhaps that should also be a factor to consider before leaving your mooring.

9 hours ago, sue.stew said:

Hi Everyone

Ask them to be more specific, or just reply yes.

Have you informed your insurers as they may have given you a marina discount  ?

Not sure why it makes any difference to C&RT as they dont give a license price discount to boats that have a marina  home berth ad are not on the navigation most of the time.

12 hours ago, sue.stew said:

I have today received a very condescending response basically saying 'do you know what you are doing?' 

And DO you know what you're doing, having spent two years holed up in a marina?

I'm intrigued as I've never had any comms from CRT which are not reasonable, measured and polite. Could you post up the (anonymised) content of the condescending email please? I'd be interested to read what they say that's led you to take such umbrage.

Thanks. 

12 hours ago, sue.stew said:

Hi Everyone

Good for you. Enjoy the experience.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

13 hours ago, sue.stew said:

Hi Everyone

I have moorings at a marina and quite often get messages from C&RT, I have no problem with that.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

I have moorings at a marina and quite often get messages from C&RT, I have no problem with that.

This is a curious thing. I have moorings both on line and in a marina and I don't hear from CRT from one year to the next, other than to tell me about licenses, BSSs, insurances etc approaching expiry. 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

This is a curious thing. I have moorings both on line and in a marina and I don't hear from CRT from one year to the next, other than to tell me about licenses, BSSs, insurances etc approaching expiry. 

Yep, that's the sort of messages I get. 

I have had the letter that the OP is referring to.  This was at the start of 2019 and the letter, can’t remember if it was an email or snail mail, basically just reminded you of the obligations as a continuous cruiser.  The wording used at that time certainly sounded fair and I can probably find the letter if anyone is interested in the actual wording, but I did not see any issue with what was said as we were not intending to take the mick.

Of course the pandemic put paid to our plans, and we have have a long term mooing since March 2020!

• Greenie 2

Thanks everyone for your replies. I totally understand that they have to remind us of the rules but they could have given us a chance to prove that we are following them. 

We loved being in a marina but found that we did not venture out that much and when we did it was to the same places. 

We hope it will be an adventure!

• Greenie 2

21 minutes ago, sue.stew said:

I totally understand that they have to remind us of the rules but they could have given us a chance to prove that we are following them. 

If you don't they will certainly be reminding you.

But the 1995 Act requires you to satisfy the Board as to your intentions when applying for a licence i.e. beforehand. CRT seem to be applying this approach when you change from home mooring to CCer. Not unreasonable imo.

34 minutes ago, sue.stew said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I totally understand that they have to remind us of the rules but they could have given us a chance to prove that we are following them. 

We loved being in a marina but found that we did not venture out that much and when we did it was to the same places. 

We hope it will be an adventure!

I imagine the first line of defence from those who break the rules is "but we didn't know" so it seems sensible for CRT to remind everybody at the out set.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, Barneyp said:

I imagine the first line of defence from those who break the rules is "but we didn't know" so it seems sensible for CRT to remind everybody at the out set.

May I refer  you to our esteemed leader.