Roof Painting

Featured Posts

Oh! Thats a biy rusty innit. Thing is that the surface has to be good enough for paint to stick to, rust is not like rot in wood, if its painted over it does not spread, its just a layer of oxide - there's a few caveats here of course, if it carries on getting wet then it'll carry on rusting under the paint. Looking at the pictures I would try an orbital sander on it, lots of paint carries the instruction to remove loose rust but if you sand it down then prime it and go through the undercoat (s) and at least 2 topcoats you are really just painting over smoothish brown metal.  Well that's what I think anyway - sometimes I am just plain wrong.

48 minutes ago, Bee said:

Oh! Thats a biy rusty innit. Thing is that the surface has to be good enough for paint to stick to, rust is not like rot in wood, if its painted over it does not spread, its just a layer of oxide - 

That sounds good in theory, but in practice most of us know that unless you remove or convert the rust it will come back if you just paint over it. 

If I was in Kevin's position and I didn't have the time or energy to do the job properly and remove all the rust, I think I'd work on small sections removing any loose rust and using a rust converter over the rest, then prime, undercoat and topcoat each section as usual. Once finished all the sections a final topcoat could go over the whole roof to even out the finish if required. 

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

ah this is from my time in the car world.... rat look cars look rough but have hidden and unexpected speed.... :)

I know mate, pretty sure it started with motorbikes then got nicked by the hotrod lot, now seems to apply to anything rough looking.

It came from stuff being built out of old, spare or unusual parts as a reaction to all the well expensive and highly polished builds, so not necessarily sleepers

8 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Its funny, I've seen live rats, i’ve seen dead rats, i’ve never seen a rusty one 🤔

I think we had a visit from a live one last night, hole in the refuse bag this morning and we were using wheelbarrow wheels for fenders, so well out

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think we had a visit from a live one last night, hole in the refuse bag this morning and we were using wheelbarrow wheels for fenders, so well out

do you have those barriers on your ropes though?  :)

Rat Guards for ropes – SWI-TEC AMERICA

Just had a chance to look at the can used on my roof about a year ago - still immaculate. It says Dulux Weathershield. Talking to a nearby boater who also used it on his cabin sides, three years ago he says. Mirror finish still and he says he just used a small roller. Only drawback I can see is a limited range of colours.

20 minutes ago, Opener said:

Just had a chance to look at the can used on my roof about a year ago - still immaculate. It says Dulux Weathershield. Talking to a nearby boater who also used it on his cabin sides, three years ago he says. Mirror finish still and he says he just used a small roller. Only drawback I can see is a limited range of colours.

Dulux Decorator Centre can mix Weathershield to any colour you want.