Roof Painting

Featured Posts

Hello All

So its been 10 years since the roof was painted and now it needs a strip off completely.  This is not optional! Really it's not!

I can get a lot of it off by just scraping and the rest I can get with angle grinder.  I'm not going to get it back to bright shiny blasted metal I know so I am looking for advice on treatments ready for the top coat.  The surface will be lightly pitted.

Suggestions please.

Do you need to get all the paint off?  When I did mine, i sanded down the whole roof so the existing paint acted as an undercoat, sanded down the rust spots and treated with Vactan, which also acts as an undercoat.  One year later all seems fine...

I kinda agree. The whole point is to find any rust.

To make a really good job you remove the vents and all the clutter and sand down totally, else just  find rust, sand, treat, then prime with a filler primer. 

2 hours ago, Biggles said:

Hello All

So its been 10 years since the roof was painted and now it needs a strip off completely.  This is not optional! Really it's not!

I can get a lot of it off by just scraping and the rest I can get with angle grinder.  I'm not going to get it back to bright shiny blasted metal I know so I am looking for advice on treatments ready for the top coat.  The surface will be lightly pitted.

Suggestions please.

Nice to see you back on here. Not like you to do a half measure bodge 

3 hours ago, Biggles said:

I can get a lot of it off by just scraping and the rest I can get with angle grinder. 

I started off with the idea of removing the loose paint and rust, then using rust converter on the rusty areas and sanding down the remaining paint elsewhere. But the orbital sander someone on here recommended wouldn't take the skin off a rice pudding and the remaining paintwork stayed rough and unven. So I ended up using a flap wheel in an angle grinder to get back to bare metal throughout. Slow as you only take off 1/2" wide strip at a time, but gave a clean metal surface, lightly textured and ideal for primer.

These are good for paint removal - poly abrasive disc.

mini-clean-strip.jpg

1/2 a day:

IMG_20190419_180318056small.jpg.b7409c9e2b6ebbb1e966f0e54c8ab2b6.jpg

IMO it's faster in the long run to take the lot off and get a level surface to paint on... unless it's just a few rusty area. I found once I started looking more closely there would have been more removed than left so I went for it.

Edited by Slow and Steady
  • Greenie 2

17 hours ago, Biggles said:

Hello All

Suggestions please.

This is cheap and cheerful,

Poly Disc copy.png

Edited by NobbyHall

Many moons ago I took back rust patches and applied a red oxide (can't recall source) - ran out half way along so stopped off at a convenient DIY store and bought enough to finish the job. Finished off with a couple of coats of bobbly paint from a well known manuf.

Over the next couple of seasons large patches of the latter half just 'fell off' - literally! The front remained largely intact. 

Square one - cleaned back patches and keyed the whole roof. Exterior metal paint from a DIY store. Two coats rollered on. Still looking immaculate a good year on.

Top tip: start at the front and work backwards - never look behind you - too depressing. Just stop painting when you fall off the back of the roof 🙄.

Hi Biggles .

Its quite a job doing the roof .

I done our wide beam a couple of years ago , rust under the paint !  Bought a scabbler from Germany £150 ish and took 15 years of paint and antislip right back to bare  steel amazing bit of kit , two coats of vactan 3 coats of primer two topcoat with anti slip mixed in and a final top coat on that .

I found the flap discs type stuff quite heavy going with not a lot of progress. And my grinder gave up the ghost..

Good luck with the project .

My neighbour bought the scabbler  to do his roof so I even got half the cost back , I like to think he also passed it on aswell .

Edited by Greg & Jax
Added

1 hour ago, Greg & Jax said:

Hi Biggles .

Its quite a job doing the roof .

I done our wide beam a couple of years ago , rust under the paint !  Bought a scabbler from Germany £150 ish and took 15 years of paint and antislip right back to bare  steel amazing bit of kit , two coats of vactan 3 coats of primer two topcoat with anti slip mixed in and a final top coat on that .

I found the flap discs type stuff quite heavy going with not a lot of progress. And my grinder gave up the ghost..

Good luck with the project .

My neighbour bought the scabbler  to do his roof so I even got half the cost back , I like to think he also passed it on aswell .

Do you have any links to the scabbler.?  Was it air or mains?

I did mine this weekend. 

When i bought the boat 9 years ago it had had a nice roof paint job, with a couple of glossy colours and a non slip finish in parts. 

3 years ago, it was struggling . I put a delta sander on the rusty bits (started probably by knocks off hardwear etc,) treated the spots and put 2 coats of  Bondaprimer on them. I then proceeded to put 2 further coats of Bondaprimer on the whole roof. 

Its belt and braces, but not hideous, and lasted 3 years until needing doing again. 

In fairness, you can take a bit of pride from the appearance of your boat, but few notice the roof in passing. Keep it simple i feel .....

7 minutes ago, Hartlebury lad said:

I did mine this weekend. 

When i bought the boat 9 years ago it had had a nice roof paint job, with a couple of glossy colours and a non slip finish in parts. 

3 years ago, it was struggling . I put a delta sander on the rusty bits (started probably by knocks off hardwear etc,) treated the spots and put 2 coats of  Bondaprimer on them. I then proceeded to put 2 further coats of Bondaprimer on the whole roof. 

Its belt and braces, but not hideous, and lasted 3 years until needing doing again. 

In fairness, you can take a bit of pride from the appearance of your boat, but few notice the roof in passing. Keep it simple i feel .....

I hope I never have to take back the roof to bare metal, it's a huge job, so I keep on top of it, I hope, but I would say it is quite evident, it's white grey, very pale, would show any rust.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I hope I never have to take back the roof to bare metal, it's a huge job, so I keep on top of it, I hope, but I would say it is quite evident, it's white grey, very pale, would show any rust.

I think if you catch the knocks and spots early, back to metal on those, and keep recoating all the rest every few years ? .Oddly, the roof doesnt bother me  nowhere near as much as the higher profile sides.. At least you get to see the results of your hard work whilst steering!