Wiring 10mm cable to jabsco pump cables?

Adam1991

Featured Posts

Hi all,

we’re using Wago connectors to join our connections on our 12v system. My issue is that we have a 10mm oceanflex black and red cable going to the jabsco water pump (2mm or so cable). I can’t work out how to connect the 10mm cables to the pump cables as wagos are too small. 

Can anyone recommend a way to connect 10mm cablesto 2mm (thereabouts) cables? 

thanks,

Adam 

Edited by Adam Mc Gowan

Reduce the number of strands at the join to a size that you can crimp to the 2mm tails. The cable size is to reduce volts drop, not to carry the large current that 10mm cable is correct for.

OR

Increase the size or the 2mm tails by wrapping with copper wire and use large crimps to fit the 10mm cable.

OR

Use a crimp large enough for the 2 cables to be laid side by side.

Reducing bootlace ferrules.

Or Pin crimps.

Both have a cable socket one end and a smaller diameter pin which fits the wago or a screwed connector. 

IF you are building a new boat you need one or the other to comply with the RCR AFAIK.

N

Edited by BEngo

• 3 months later...
On 21/04/2022 at 14:15, BEngo said:

Reducing bootlace ferrules.

Or Pin crimps.

Both have a cable socket one end and a smaller diameter pin which fits the wago or a screwed connector. 

IF you are building a new boat you need one or the other to comply with the RCR AFAIK.

N

Hi BEngo, do you have any links for the reducing bootlace ferrules and pin crimps? 

thanks 

Just now, BEngo said:

RS have 24 pages of them.  Google is your friend for a host of alternatives.

N

Hi BEngo, thanks I’ve had a look on RS, is it the standard 10mm sq bootlace ferrule they have on there that would work? Would the ones in the image below work ok? 

im trying to work out if a reducing bootlace ferrule is a type of ferrule or do you mean that once crimped the standard bootlace ferrule will compact the cable smaller? 

thanks for your advice!

177E52AB-4A90-4F1D-9C23-915EEBE09083.png

Thanks David, I’ll have a look online for those!

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

No. You are looking for a pin ferrule which is crimped to a large cable at one end and has a smaller pin on the other, which can be fitted into a terminal block.

David would something like this below work if heatshrinked over? 

1702D364-46CB-43CB-904A-FC8DDB029505.png

That looks fine, provided the pin will fit into your connector.  Similarly with the 10 mm sq (red insulation)  bootlace crimp in your previous link.  Unfortunately we don't know the size of the hole the pin end has to fit into.  Poke  twist drills into the hole till you find the biggest one that will fit easily.  That is the maximum size of pin.

If the pin   turns out to be just a bit big, some gentle filing will reduce it to fit, though getting hold of it to file it may be interesting.

N

Would the reducer be considered as a single strand conductor where it enters the Wago? Unlike a bootlace ferrule where the stranded cable is "inside" the Wago.

The pump will most likely need replacing during the life of the boat, so perhaps ring terminals and a pair of these https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-50-connectors/c-116-junction-boxes/p-565-battery-cable-junction-box-two-stud

Edited by Eeyore
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Eeyore said:

Would the reducer be considered as a single strand conductor where it enters the Wago? Unlike a bootlace ferrule where the stranded cable is "inside" the Wago.

The pump will most likely need replacing during the life of the boat, so perhaps ring terminals and a pair of these https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-50-connectors/c-116-junction-boxes/p-565-battery-cable-junction-box-two-stud

Ideal 👍

I eventually used an empty Mega fuse holder to connect my fat wires to thin. 
The one bolt in the holder connecting the negatives  and the other bolt connecting the positives. 

(And obviously no fuse)

So later they can be easily taken apart and swopped. 
As above ^^ using ring terminals

Edited by Goliath
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Just user reducing crimps. They are commonly used in industry in conditions far worse in terms of vibration than that experienced on any inland boat.

download.jpeg

I dare say you’re proper and correct but I looked at them and other insulated types and I still couldn’t quite work out how to do it and I thought it might end up being a weak link. 🤷‍♀️

Which is why I went for the junction box idea (although I used a mega fuse holder)  that can be screwed securely to the wall.
Plus the ring terminals are now screwed good and tight making for a good connection. 

Electrics baffles me. 🙃

• Greenie 1

Just now, Goliath said:

I dare say you’re proper and correct but I looked at them and other insulated types and I still couldn’t quite work out how to do it and I thought it might end up being a weak link. 🤷‍♀️

Which is why I went for the junction box idea (although I used a mega fuse holder)  that can be screwed securely to the wall.
Plus the ring terminals are now screwed good and tight making for a good connection. 

Electrics baffles me. 🙃

No problem. What you have done is electrically acceptable and works for you.

Just now, cuthound said:

No problem. What you have done is electrically acceptable and works for you.

Well I’m such a bodge jobber it’s nice to think I might get it right sometimes. 

I think another time I would have just wound the ends together and slapped on some masking tape. 😬

• Haha 2