Thetford spinflo caprice mk3

wullie

Featured Posts

This morning my gas Thetford caprice cooker started to spark continuously all of them, the 4 burners the grill and the oven, tried a new rocker switch no change, only way to stop is by switching off at main electric box it's 12v 

Hi thanks, I'll try running a temporary pair and check it out, I've looked at the wiring, and definitely not any touching cooker, I removed them and now just wires going into the spark controller box on back of cooker. But il run a new pair and try it. 

The switch is in the 12v to the box. So if you take the voltage away it must stop sparking. If I remember, the wiring goes through some horrible sharp holes in the sheet metalwork.

The switch I think is in the negative side of the 12v circuit. The only other possibility is that the box has burnt through somewhere and the terminal is shorting to the steel.

Yes, I've tracked the cable and it came along cabin wall and out into the spark generator, I'll check the cables tomorrow in case one of the spark cables are shorting, it's got me, usually I can think it through but stumped with this. 

Hi Tracy, I decided to use a battery next to the cooker and wire from that but still the same, I disconnected the switch just in case it had something to do with it but no use the minute you connect battery it everything starts sparking. 

1 minute ago, wullie said:

Hi Tracy, I decided to use a battery next to the cooker and wire from that but still the same, I disconnected the switch just in case it had something to do with it but no use the minute you connect battery it everything starts sparking. 

So with the switch removed, where is the circuit from battery to spark box and back to battery? Something is completing the circuit if its not the switch.

, OK I see whare you are coming from, I'm just wiring into direct the spark generator which will obviously cause it to run, will have to track wires from switch, thanks will get on that right now, feeling a bit foolish, I'll let you know how I get on, but I think you nailed it. 

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Asking others here. Could the igniter be the same as the 292x Aldes that detect the flame and then turn themselves off. The Alde ones can spark all the time when they fail internally.

If they are like that you would be unable to light a second burner when one is already lit.

• Greenie 1

Hi Tracy, well finally got the answer, I removed the cable from ignighter switch and found it fused together at the point of cable ties holding cables, couldn't see it until I took the cables out, just a small section burnt through and and causing it to continue to power the ignighter to run. 

Made up new wires, that's it, should have stripped them right out to begin with. 

Appreciate your help with it, thank you. 

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, wullie said:

finally got the answer,

Thanks for coming back to update the thread now you have fixed it.

We always appreciate the feedback when offering advice and it's annoying when people who got help can't be bothered to do so.

Happy cooking without the clicking!

4 hours ago, wullie said:

Hi Tracy, well finally got the answer, I removed the cable from ignighter switch and found it fused together at the point of cable ties holding cables, couldn't see it until I took the cables out, just a small section burnt through and and causing it to continue to power the ignighter to run. 

Made up new wires, that's it, should have stripped them right out to begin with. 

Appreciate your help with it, thank you. 

Thanks for the update, glad I could help you get it sorted.