Longer Boats Up Norf

dmr

Featured Posts

@David Mack I was talking to one of the CRT chaps who work the East stretch earlier and asked him about the reservoirs. He said it wasnt because they are running out of water at the moment-just that they are having to make what they have last.

@IanD Ran into the 60fter earlier and they are no longer going to attempt the C&H as (a) have been advised not to do the Broad locks and (b) dont fancy getting stranded on the Rochdale if they did make it that far..

6 hours ago, IanD said:

So if the reason isn't an *actual* shortage of water -- because let's face it, the number of boats going through Standedge (was only ever 9 per week each way) could never have used much water compared to the size of a reservoir -- what is it?

Lack of staff to accompany boats through?

CART not wanting to pay for staff? (or are they all volunteers now?)

CART just not wanting the pay the cost of the water, since they sold off the reservoirs some time ago?

Or is there a real water shortage in one particular reservoir that supplies the summit (Diggle? -- and it's pretty small. Slaithwaite is the biggest by far but also too low down to supply the summit. Sparth is tiny and too low), even though the whole group (Sparth, Slaithwaite and Diggle) is at 77%?

Maybe some people are blaming CART unfairly when in fact they haven't got much choice... 😉

They may not have much choice but we all know the running of a waterway is mainly about water management.

3 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

@David Mack I was talking to one of the CRT chaps who work the East stretch earlier and asked him about the reservoirs. He said it wasnt because they are running out of water at the moment-just that they are having to make what they have last.

@IanD Ran into the 60fter earlier and they are no longer going to attempt the C&H as (a) have been advised not to do the Broad locks and (b) dont fancy getting stranded on the Rochdale if they did make it that far..

We have just gone through the Sowerby locks and our friends boat at 58ft was a tight fit in the first lock and leaking top gates dropped a lot of water across their cruiser deck and into the bilge overcoming the drains with no way to manoeuvre out of the way. Still, all good now and after the first couple we have been able to fit in the locks together so far.  

• 1 month later...
On 24/06/2022 at 13:04, nickherbert56 said:

With my family, I'm organizing a trip. I need details on travel equipment. because my children are so delicate. Please advise the ideal travel destinations for me.

Where are you? Up North? Length of boat? Number of children, age? 
  You need to give more info, if you want people to plan your life on the canals for you, do you want us to do your family budget also?

31 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I thought so too, an odd post. 
How do these robots work?

Would a human write that and then just feed it into whatever and it then gets delivered to wherever ?

Try this. https://app.inferkit.com/demo

I put in "Longer boats up North" and got

Much of the Pacific Northwest has been welcoming them, or at least reducing the cost.
With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii, there’s been a reduction in the cost of registration.

try "I bought a narrowboat because". I got... 

I bought a narrowboat because the world is so big and interesting and the whole world to see. Some people, upon hearing about my ambitions and ventures, roll their eyes and say "vague plans for the future are always a red flag"

Starting a sentence is a good way to try it.
Edited by Slow and Steady

4 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Try this. https://app.inferkit.com/demo

I put in "Longer boats up North" and got

Much of the Pacific Northwest has been welcoming them, or at least reducing the cost.
With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii, there’s been a reduction in the cost of registration.

try "I bought a narrowboat because". I got... 

I bought a narrowboat because the world is so big and interesting and the whole world to see. Some people, upon hearing about my ambitions and ventures, roll their eyes and say "vague plans for the future are always a red flag"

Starting a sentence is a good way to try it.

What’s a neural network?

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

What’s a neural network?

Just googled it, and it blew my brain more than trying to fathom out solar panels. 

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Goliath said:

I thought so too, an odd post. 
How do these robots work?

Would a human write that and then just feed it into whatever and it then gets delivered to wherever ?

This strikes me as possibly the most complex question I've ever seen asked on here.

(Although I grant you, the most complex question ever asked in the history of mankind is "How can I make a woman happy?")

On 29/04/2022 at 19:23, PaulJ said:

Barrowford reservoir is undergoing repairs, it is empty.

I am on the L &L, not far from the Bradley stoppage, the water is lower than normal, maybe five inches +/-1

Not sure when or where I can expect the next stoppage, just as well I'm not trying to run a business or actually go anywhere in particular!

Edited by LadyG

35 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Barrowford reservoir is undergoing repairs, it is empty.

I am on the L &L, not far from the Bradley stoppage, the water is lower than normal, maybe five inches +/-1

Not sure when or where I can expect the next stoppage, just as well I'm not trying to run a business or actually go anywhere in particular!

They'll be calling you Jonah - everywhere you go is a 'disaster', or, is it that you go everywhere there is a disaster ?

On 29/04/2022 at 19:30, churchward said:

We have just gone through the Sowerby locks and our friends boat at 58ft was a tight fit in the first lock and leaking top gates dropped a lot of water across their cruiser deck and into the bilge overcoming the drains with no way to manoeuvre out of the way. Still, all good now and after the first couple we have been able to fit in the locks together so far.  

Having been through Salterhebble in a 57' boat and subjected to a veritable waterfall from the top gates, I certainly wouldn't want to try it in a 60' boat with a well deck at the front or a cruiser stern. Which is why I will have neither... 😉

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/04/2022 at 12:16, dmr said:

I only have this second/third hand, but I'm told a new/modified lock walkway on the Calder and Hebble is making things very difficult/impossible for 60 foot boats, and even tricky for 57's. This is 5 or 6 locks down from the top.

We went both ways through Elland Lock recently. No major problems for us at 57ft but coming down I realised its will be very tight for a 60ft boat. I suspect you need to nose up to the bottom walkway, let the level drop a few feet then push the front against the gate underneath the walkway. Tricky for inexperienced single handers. Big leak on the top gates of Kirklees  bottom lock. Mrs Midnight closed the rear doors but water cascaded in through the hatch. 

29 minutes ago, Midnight said:

We went both ways through Elland Lock recently. No major problems for us at 57ft but coming down I realised its will be very tight for a 60ft boat. I suspect you need to nose up to the bottom walkway, let the level drop a few feet then push the front against the gate underneath the walkway. Tricky for inexperienced single handers. Big leak on the top gates of Kirklees  bottom lock. Mrs Midnight closed the rear doors but water cascaded in through the hatch. 

Possibly, or maybe even come down stern-first -- some people have said this is needed, others who've actually done it say it isn't. It is a tight fit and care is needed, so not for inexperienced boaters -- but there are only a couple of locks this short.

Leaky top gates is what I meant about getting wet, but bad enough to get in through the hatch is pretty bad -- I guess you have a trad stern so the hatch is close to the gates?

31 minutes ago, Midnight said:

A 60 foot boat passed us a while ago and said it was very tight and "never again". There is a 60 footer waiting to go over the summit. If things don't improve soon they might turn round and give the C&H a go.