Longer Boats Up Norf

dmr

Featured Posts

Just now, Goliath said:

Not that one 😃

Im on about the one without rivets. 
With the big bus windows. 

I agree, that looks nasty -- but it was only there to show the differences between the two bow shapes, not as an example of marine beauty... 😉

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Surely that was either Robin Hood or William Tell? 😉

I was thinking more of the kind of bow worn in a lady's hair or with a gentleman's dinner suit. 

The English language is a bit confusing. Is it not ? 

1 minute ago, haggis said:

I was thinking more of the kind of bow worn in a lady's hair or with a gentleman's dinner suit. 

The English language is a bit confusing. Is it not ? 

Or maybe the gentleman's equivalent to a curtsey?

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

No doubt the ones you cite also do not know that it is 'airs and graces'?

Pointless contribution. Surprised you haven’t mentioned the most famous boat on the canal as having a quality shell, as reflected in the selling price😂

Edited by PD1964

29 minutes ago, IanD said:

<sigh>...

So this is even more elegant, which obviously means that everyone cruising on the canals should have one of these since that's all that matters... 😉

launch.jpg

Well theIr are boats and boats and that is a lovely boat and so will yours be I am sure, but for a little day cruiser it doesn't get better looking than above 

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, IanD said:

<sigh>...

So this is even more elegant, which obviously means that everyone cruising on the canals should have one of these since that's all that matters... 😉

launch.jpg

It is rather nice now you come to mention it

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

It is rather nice now you come to mention it

It is indeed beautifully elegant, but I don't think very useful for CCing on the English canals in winter as a liveaboard... 😉

19 minutes ago, IanD said:

I agree, that looks nasty -- but it was only there to show the differences between the two bow shapes, not as an example of marine beauty... 😉

Looking at it, it’s the one I put a photo on and a link to their Instagram so you can see the full shell. Would be a nice shell without the bow & stern thrusters. Defeats the object of learning how to handle a boat.

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

Looking at it, it’s the one I put a photo on and a link to their Instagram so you can see the full shell. Would be a nice shell without the bow & stern thrusters. Defeats the object of learning how to handle a boat.

Stern thrusters, I agree. Bow thrusters, there are times when they're useful where no amount of expert boat handling will help -- for example, rounding a bend with moored boats on the outside and a reed bed on the inside with a crosswind blowing the bows sideways into a moored boat. Yes maybe they shouldn't have been there and neither should the reeds, but that's how it was. Or when trying to moor with a crosswind when single-handing.

Used too often (or when the steerer can't keep straight) they're an abomination, but there are times when they are genuinely useful.

Of course they're a modern -- and expensive -- addition to narrowboats, so some will be opposed to them purely for this reason... 😉

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

27FBD965-17C4-4522-BB8F-F9D4785A5667.jpeg.451f5d61d798ef81ef9498378e469a76.jpegJust to set the record straight it was this bow I said I liked. Agreeing with Mtb. 
but I don’t like the rubbing strakes over lapping the stem post. 

the bow on the other boat is horrid. 

I thought you were agreeing with me?

Screenshot_20220425-183219_Chrome.jpg

Edited by The Happy Nomad

6 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Are you referring to the shell in the photo I posted? 

Yes. The red one with the rivets in the scruffy workshop 😉

5 minutes ago, Goliath said:

27FBD965-17C4-4522-BB8F-F9D4785A5667.jpeg.451f5d61d798ef81ef9498378e469a76.jpegJust to set the record straight it was this bow I said I liked. Agreeing with Mtb. 
but I don’t like the rubbing strakes over lapping the stem post. 

the bow on the other boat is horrid. 

I don't like the squished rubbing strakes either, looks like they've been put into a hydraulic press after welding down...

Does "other boat" mean the Tyler Wilson "Josher" or noddyboater's red menace?

Edited by IanD

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’m confused 🤔🙃

Which one do you like?

The same bow as you.

The one with the hull with 'bus windows' and what will just be an escape hatch in the cabin front.

Screenshot_20220425-183752_Chrome.jpg

Edited by The Happy Nomad

7 minutes ago, IanD said:

Stern thrusters, I agree. Bow thrusters, there are times when they're useful where no amount of expert boat handling will help -- for example, rounding a bend with moored boats on the outside and a reed bed on the inside with a crosswind blowing the bows sideways into a moored boat. Yes maybe they shouldn't have been there and neither should the reeds, but that's how it was. Or when trying to moor with a crosswind when single-handing.

Used too often (or when the steerer can't keep straight) they're an abomination, but there are times when they are genuinely useful.

Of course they're a modern -- and expensive -- addition to narrowboats, so some will be opposed to them purely for this reason... 😉

Full shell here:

https://instagram.com/nb.siochanta?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thrusters only for widebeams if that, narrowboats don’t need them.

As you say a modern thing, for people who’s boats don’t handle well or can’t work out how to play the engine/rudder.

Edited by PD1964

16 minutes ago, Goliath said:

What’s the going rate for the price of fake rivets?

About an extra £1500-£2000, last time I heard. Then again the price of Penny Washers is subject to fluctuation on the stock exchange.

Edited by PD1964

40 minutes ago, IanD said:

Saw a chap today using one in a narrow lock while the lock was filling, not sure where he thought the bows were going

• Haha 2
  • Horror 1