Lister SR2 starter motor rotation?

TandC

Featured Posts

Morning all,

My starter has finally given up the ghost.  

Can anyone advise on the correct rotation for the replacement I should be looking for?   

The Lister SR2 engine serial number is 2919SR218 (13hp, 2000 rpm). 

On the cast section of the starter, there is a serial number 542 55 997L - there are a series of XXXXX stamped into the casing of the motor windings case.

When looking online, this website provided example photos of the pinion gear and describe the slanting of the bevel on the front of the teeth as the way of telling if the rotation is clockwise or counter-clockwise.    https://www.obbstartersandalternators.com/what-is-the-rotation-of-my-starter-motor-obb-starters-a-130.html 

I've attached a photo of the pinion on my starter - from the website above it appears that this is a counter-clockwise, but is that correct?  

If there are any experts on here I'd be grateful for a steer on the right model to purchase.  

Currently a quick search of a eBay shows 

I've not had a chance to look much further than that as would like to pin down exactly what rotation it is.

Thanks a lot, 

Lister SR2 starter pinion.jpg

Personally I would take it to an alternator & starter rebuilder and have it refurbished, several recommendations in other starter/alternator threads. From what I hear they are pretty rare and you can't rely upon any numbers or markings on the body these days.

Maybe worth using a battery and jump leads to power just the motor, leaving the solenoid out of it. Just keep your boot firmly on the starter when you do it. Even if it only makes  a halfhearted effort to turn it should tell you which way it wants to spin.

The pinion teeth look in a bad way to me so make sure you physically check ALL the flywheel teeth, they could be in an even worse state. Damage on the pair of them  may prevent the pinion engaging properly.

Where are you?

If you phone Lancashire Rotating Electrics they will be able to match the motor correctly and quote you a good price. They also do repairs.

Very good company I have found. 

Address: 130 Clydesdale Place, Leyland, PR26 7QS, England

Phone: +44 1772 623600

Hours: Open · Closes 5:30PM 

Another vote for Lancashire Rotating  Electrics. Ring em up.   Send it to them (with their courier or yours),  they will fix it and courier it back.  Last job I had done took just over 48 hours door to door.  Yourself being an anti clockwise one may take a bit longer.

N

Another vote for Lancashire Rotating  Electrics. Ring em up.   Send it to them (with their courier or yours),  they will fix it and courier it back.  Last job I had done took just over 48 hours door to door.  Yours being an anti clockwise one may take a bit longer.

When you check the flywheel teeth, as suggested by Tony,  remember that the engine only stops in two places:  a bit before TDC on each cylinder.  If the teeth are worn badly in either or both of these two places you will need to renew the ring gear.

N

17 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Another vote for Lancashire Rotating  Electrics. Ring em up.   Send it to them (with their courier or yours),  they will fix it and courier it back.  Last job I had done took just over 48 hours door to door.  Yours being an anti clockwise one may take a bit longer.

When you check the flywheel teeth, as suggested by Tony,  remember that the engine only stops in two places:  a bit before TDC on each cylinder.  If the teeth are worn badly in either or both of these two places you will need to renew the ring gear.

N

If its not too badly chewed up, take a file to the starter ring gear teeth to remove the burrs BEFORE fitting the new motor.

I did think they look a little worn...  

Marine Engine Services quote about 300 quid with the vat and postage which is a lot to swallow, although likely a genuine Lucas replacement 

Lancashire will quote for refurbishment on receipt of the original so I think I'll go that route. Courier it up there and see what they say.

As for the starter ring... how do you get to it to check condition of the teeth or file any burrs...?  Presumably it would require stripping it all down which is beyond me at this stage unless it's really that straightforward.

I

2 minutes ago, TandC said:

I did think they look a little worn...  

Marine Engine Services quote about 300 quid with the vat and postage which is a lot to swallow, although likely a genuine Lucas replacement 

Lancashire will quote for refurbishment on receipt of the original so I think I'll go that route. Courier it up there and see what they say.

As for the starter ring... how do you get to it to check condition of the teeth or file any burrs...?  Presumably it would require stripping it all down which is beyond me at this stage unless it's really that straightforward.

I

Through the starter motor hole.

Ah well that requires a feat of considerable flexibility and three elbows🙃.

I shall certainly have a go at it but it's so constrained what with the drainage / deck joist steels and battery boxes. 

I can work on some stretches while waiting for the motor! 

• 4 weeks later...

Pleased to report that Lancashire Rotating Electricals LTD did a top job on my starter motor - refurbishment was £180 with postage, but replaced the solenoid, the pinion gear and gave it a general tidy up.  All reinstalled and while I've not had time to really test it, she started up fine and dandy.

Thanks for the suggestions and assistance, and a thumbs up to LRE for their service.

• Greenie 1