Middlewich branch

saxplayer

Featured Posts

52 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Some of them are genuine oily handed enthusiasts, and some of them are pretentious prats.

47 minutes ago, saxplayer said:

All but a small number of historic boat owners are up their own arses 

Many of the oily handed, not up themselves historic boaters I count as  friends.

Frangar isn't one of them.  This may not come as a big shock!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Many of the oily handed, not up themselves historic boaters I count as  friends.

Frangar isn't one of them.  This may not come as a big shock!

I’m very grateful for that…I wouldn’t want the embarrassment of being associated with you!!

Edited by frangar

Just now, frangar said:

I’m very grateful for that…I wouldn’t want the embarrassment! 

You earned it honestly with all the whining and moaning you did about CRT not fixing everything fast enough for your liking when you got caught the wrong side of the Rufford breach some years back.

Not sure how that behaviour ties in with your earlier comments about keyboard warriors, but hey ho.

• Unimpressed 1

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

You earned it honestly with all the whining and moaning you did about CRT not fixing everything fast enough for your liking when you got caught the wrong side of the Rufford breach some years back.

Not sure how that behaviour ties in with your earlier comments about keyboard warriors, but hey ho.

Well it appears if it wasn’t for the proactive actions of the historic boat crews you seem to think are a joke you might find this stoppage took a while too…

Perhaps if you had been trapped for 3 months you might find it less that satisfactory too….and I did much more than just type on here…and indeed still do…some of which has hopefully improved the lot of others stuck by long stoppages but you carry on pretending to know what you are talking about. 

33 minutes ago, frangar said:

the proactive actions of the historic boat crews you seem to think are a joke

Again, I don't think the proactive group with historic boats are a joke, quite the opposite. I know it's difficult for you to understand, but not everyone who purchases an old boat is in this group.

The yachties have a nice saying, "All the gear and no idea," which is a bit kind to some of them.  

I am a bit surprised the amateurs were allowed to join in the repair work, unless they were just handing the odd pair of pliers to the guys actually doing it. Under the usual CRT H&S and insurance rules they were taking a bit of a chance, as were the contractors, who don't usually welcome self-proclaimed experts, and would certainly have invalidated any insurance cover they had once they let non-certified folk get involved.

Whatever, no-one got hurt and I'm not at all surprised it got fixed so quickly. I presume they did both paddles - I'll find out tomorrow.

Baddiley will take longer when it gets to crisis point, because someone will have taken the gate off, not just knackered a paddle.

5 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Thanks - I just checked the stoppage notice to find it had disappeared without an update viewable. 

The paddle that broke yesterday (the rod disconnected and the nail CRT put in failed and it dropped off) has been fixed

The other paddle that was out of action was also fixed... apparently there was a windlass jammed in it.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I am a bit surprised the amateurs were allowed to join in the repair work, unless they were just handing the odd pair of pliers to the guys actually doing it. Under the usual CRT H&S and insurance rules they were taking a bit of a chance, as were the contractors, who don't usually welcome self-proclaimed experts, and would certainly have invalidated any insurance cover they had once they let non-certified folk get involved.

Whatever, no-one got hurt and I'm not at all surprised it got fixed so quickly. I presume they did both paddles - I'll find out tomorrow.

Baddiley will take longer when it gets to crisis point, because someone will have taken the gate off, not just knackered a paddle.

Thankfully some people know what they are doing and are able to get on with it while CRT are still having a meeting to decide what colour barrier tape to use….long May that continue. 

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Metal stop planks dropped in by CRT ,  no indication from Dave Bramley that any amateurs were involved in the fix today.

12 hours ago, frangar said:

Thankfully some people know what they are doing and are able to get on with it while CRT are still having a meeting to decide what colour barrier tape to use….long May that continue. 

So what precisely did the exworking boat bods do? Or are you just blowing smoke as usual?

I'd be seriously surprised if they had stop planks all ready and all the gear to fix a broken paddle (whatever the cause) though once someone else had emptied the lock they could possibly have retrieved a windlass.

People with a little knowledge and an inflated sense of their expertise and importance can do a remarkable amount of damage in a very short space of time. Just because someone in a big boat says "I can fix that" doesn't necessarily mean they can. And if they cock it up, they can just shrug and walk away and leave someone else to clear up the mess. And pay for it. That's why you have professionals, even if their bosses are a bit too handy with the barrier tape.

ETA if they were so damn smart, they could have fixed the original bust paddle! Didn't, though, did they? They waited for CRT...

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Unimpressed 1

Raised the dropped paddle rod that had become detached from the rack and fallen to the bottom of chamber allowing a new connecting pin to be refitted….sorted a locked access gate that no one seemed to have a key for allowing crt to access the site…without the use of bolt croppers etc. Got an obstruction out from the other paddle….all without the need for stop planks or draining…

Sometimes it’s knowledge over kit & paperwork. Apparently CRT decided to use the opportunity to put planks in and check guides etc but the prep work speeded up the process. 

Perhaps you too like to sound off from afar rather than finding out what really went on…the boaters in question have the skills and the kit needed…but I guess you prefer to sit in a queue rather than seeing if you can help be that to do some lock wheeling or help with repairs….which sadly seems to be the way these days. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Raised the dropped paddle rod that had become detached from the rack and fallen to the bottom of chamber allowing a new connecting pin to be refitted….sorted a locked access gate that no one seemed to have a key for allowing crt to access the site…without the use of bolt croppers etc. Got an obstruction out from the other paddle….all without the need for stop planks or draining…

Sometimes it’s knowledge over kit & paperwork. Apparently CRT decided to use the opportunity to put planks in and check guides etc but the prep work speeded up the process. 

Perhaps you too like to sound off from afar rather than finding out what really went on…the boaters in question have the skills and the kit needed…but I guess you prefer to sit in a queue rather than seeing if you can help be that to do some lock wheeling or help with repairs….which sadly seems to be the way these days. 

Thank you. At last some information instead of just pitching for an argument. Makes a change from your usual style and original post, which was just snide remarks and no facts.

As during the stoppage I was on the Llangollen canal I was unable to help. It's a bit hard to lock wheel from several  miles away  but I'm sure you can tell us all how to do it. I arrived at the moorings below the lock late afternoon just as the last two boats were going through, but I'm sure you know this already.

If you could understand what you read, you would be aware I have been trying to find out what went on. It's taken till now for anyone to prise this out of you - you obviously have more fun typing away looking for a scrap than you do in providing information, but I think we are all aware of this by now. Whether your description is accurate I of course have no idea. It would be nice to get CRTs view of unqualified people playing with their property, but at least we have one view of how the job was done. At last.

• Unimpressed 1

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Thank you. At last some information instead of just pitching for an argument. Makes a change from your usual style and original post, which was just snide remarks and no facts.

As during the stoppage I was on the Llangollen canal I was unable to help. It's a bit hard to lock wheel from several  miles away  but I'm sure you can tell us all how to do it. I arrived at the moorings below the lock late afternoon just as the last two boats were going through, but I'm sure you know this already.

If you could understand what you read, you would be aware I have been trying to find out what went on. It's taken till now for anyone to prise this out of you - you obviously have more fun typing away looking for a scrap than you do in providing information, but I think we are all aware of this by now. Whether your description is accurate I of course have no idea. It would be nice to get CRTs view of unqualified people playing with their property, but at least we have one view of how the job was done. At last.

Yet you felt it was ok to harp on and be critical without any further information….you obviously have some agenda & pre formed opinion …so please don’t expect me to run around after you if you can’t keep an open mind….I’m sure if the boaters concerned read this then they won’t bother again as others seem rather ungrateful…but again that seems to be thing now….

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Yet you felt it was ok to harp on and be critical without any further information….you obviously have some agenda & pre formed opinion …so please don’t expect me to run around after you if you can’t keep an open mind….I’m sure if the boaters concerned read this then they won’t bother again as others seem rather ungrateful…but again that seems to be thing now….

Because,as always, you like to sneer on without giving any information until you get your arm twisted. No-one is ungrateful because, until you were forced to give out your version of events, no-one knew what anyone did. And, in fact, they still don't.

I certainly don't want you running round anywhere near me, thanks very much. The last thing I need is a bad tempered troll spoiling for a fight.

And I play the trombone, not the harp. Never got the hang of one of them. Which is my last word in this thread, and the last time I look at it, so feel free to say something unpleasant so you can have the last word.

It's all yours.

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

34 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Because,as always, you like to sneer on without giving any information until you get your arm twisted. No-one is ungrateful because, until you were forced to give out your version of events, no-one knew what anyone did. And, in fact, they still don't.

I certainly don't want you running round anywhere near me, thanks very much. The last thing I need is a bad tempered troll spoiling for a fight.

And I play the trombone, not the harp. Never got the hang of one of them. Which is my last word in this thread, and the last time I look at it, so feel free to say something unpleasant so you can have the last word.

It's all yours.

You really have a large chip on that shoulder of yours don’t you…may our paths never cross.

oh and I’ve just read CRT were very grateful for the help that was offered….but as you’ve gone off in a huff you won’t be reading that….🙄

Edited by frangar
  • Unimpressed 1

23 hours ago, frangar said:

I don’t know of any that dress like that apart from maybe the crew of President…but they weren’t there….but there again it’s easy to pontificate from a keyboard isn’t it. 

How would you want him to communicate,  smoke signals.?

His point was valid. Some years ago waiting above Batchworth lock waiting to go in (holding on the centre line as single handed) when a couple of 'Historic Boaters' turned the lock in front of my eyes without so much as a by your leave. While I was waiting for them to come up I wandered down the lock to find the entire canal blocked with historic boats and butties back as far as Tescos (couple of hundred yards). No option but to sit it out. The entertainment took the form of them just letting the paddles (especially the ground paddles) go unchecked whilst decked out in braces and 'kerchiefs. I think one helmsman said thanks. The rest, well,?...........................

7 hours ago, frangar said:

Which seems to be a very different story than was on Twitter, including photos from someone who was there and working people through the lock.

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

How would you want him to communicate,  smoke signals.?

His point was valid. Some years ago waiting above Batchworth lock waiting to go in (holding on the centre line as single handed) when a couple of 'Historic Boaters' turned the lock in front of my eyes without so much as a by your leave. While I was waiting for them to come up I wandered down the lock to find the entire canal blocked with historic boats and butties back as far as Tescos (couple of hundred yards). No option but to sit it out. The entertainment took the form of them just letting the paddles (especially the ground paddles) go unchecked whilst decked out in braces and 'kerchiefs. I think one helmsman said thanks. The rest, well,?...........................

Maybe actually leave judging others if you weren’t there or directly know someone that was….perhaps I should start mentioning all the incompetence I see from shiny/scruffy boaters and the general attitude of some….particularly those who seem to love posting on here……

Just now, StephenA said:

Which seems to be a very different story than was on Twitter, including photos from someone who was there and working people through the lock.

Well I saw the post from those I respect greatly….and the follow up posts….but of course those that blog can do nothing wrong….

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Maybe actually leave judging others if you weren’t there or directly know someone that was….perhaps I should start mentioning all the incompetence I see from shiny/scruffy boaters and the general attitude of some….particularly those who seem to love posting on here……

Well I saw the post from those I respect greatly….and the follow up posts….but of course those that blog can do nothing wrong….

So their blog posts are true and the other person is lying?

3 minutes ago, Slim said:

Some years ago waiting above Batchworth lock waiting to go in (holding on the centre line as single handed)

Single handed I am at them lock gates like a ferret up a drain pipe ready to get straight in as the boat comes out. 
Pass each other in front of the lock. 

No point hanging around on the lock landing being polite. Get in there!

• Greenie 2