Notice Alert

Middlewich Branch (Shrop Union)
Starts At: Lock 4, Cholmondeston Lock
Ends At: Lock 4, Cholmondeston Lock

Monday 18 April 2022 19:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Structure failure

Original message:

Please be advised navigation is currently closed at Lock 4, Cholmondeston Lock on the Shropshire Union, Middlewich Branch due to paddles failing. Our local team have been informed and will be back on-site tomorrow.

To ensure the safety of our customers, padlocks have been placed on the Lock to prevent it from being used.

An update will be provided tomorrow morning 19 April 2022.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/21977/navigation-closure-lock-4-cholmondeston-lock-

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its had one paddle out for weeks

And there's me saying the cut's no worse than any other transport system. That's my route home stuffed and there's going to be a hell of a tailback of hireboats and a lot of angry customers. Two big marinas along there with people trying to get back - I suspect CRT might treat this as a bit of a priority. Shame they didn't bother when it was just one paddle.

It took three of us to get Baddiley middle lock open today - you have to bounce it while it's still six inches from full as it never fills on the one working paddle. Going up, you bash it with the boat. That's going to be expensive in the end...

11 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

And there's me saying the cut's no worse than any other transport system. That's my route home stuffed and there's going to be a hell of a tailback of hireboats and a lot of angry customers. Two big marinas along there with people trying to get back - I suspect CRT might treat this as a bit of a priority. Shame they didn't bother when it was just one paddle.

It took three of us to get Baddiley middle lock open today - you have to bounce it while it's still six inches from full as it never fills on the one working paddle. Going up, you bash it with the boat. That's going to be expensive in the end...

It was like that last September, obviously not been sorted since then.

13 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That one is a disgrace. The hire boaters that helped me (having spent a very long time being confused by its failure to fill themselves going the other way) told me Chas Harden reported it last year

14 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Reported last night that there was a growing queue of historic ex-working boats returning from Ellesmere Port.

Good luck!

1 minute ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Reported last night that there was a growing queue of historic ex-working boats returning from Ellesmere Port.

Good luck!

That'll take a while to clear. And of course, they'll have priority over everyone else.... I'm going to sit in the sun for a day and see what happens. Otherwise, it's the long way home, assuming nothing else goes wrong.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That'll take a while to clear. And of course, they'll have priority over everyone else.... I'm going to sit in the sun for a day and see what happens. Otherwise, it's the long way home, assuming nothing else goes wrong.

You won’t want to hear that it was some working boat crews who got their hands dirty then and helped the CRT chaps carry out the repair and got things moving quicker….

12 minutes ago, frangar said:

You won’t want to hear that it was some working boat crews who got their hands dirty then and helped the CRT chaps carry out the repair and got things moving quicker….

Only some of them?

I'll take a guess as to how many of the helpful ones were wearing waistcoats and spotted neckerchiefs.  It's a nice round number ...

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Only some of them?

I'll take a guess as to how many of the helpful ones were wearing waistcoats and spotted neckerchiefs.  It's a nice round number ...

Really easy to sit at a keyboard and snipe isn’t it? Perhaps you don’t want to get oil on those beige trousers or you think you pay your licence fee to have someone else look after things rather than actually doing something for yourself and others. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Really easy to sit at a keyboard and snipe isn’t it? Perhaps you don’t want to get oil on those beige trousers or you think you pay your licence fee to have someone else look after things rather than actually doing something for yourself and others. 

So how many of the waistcoat and neckerchief gang were helping then?

I'm absolutely sure that some of the historic boat crowd would have helped, but I suspect the ones that did weren't the fancy dress brigade.

Oh, and I don't have any beige trousers.  I have had a few brown trouser moments in the past but that's a bit different ...

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

So how many of the waistcoat and neckerchief gang were helping then?

I'm absolutely sure that some of the historic boat crowd would have helped, but I suspect the ones that did weren't the fancy dress brigade.

Oh, and I don't have any beige trousers.  I have had a few brown trouser moments in the past but that's a bit different ...

I don’t know of any that dress like that apart from maybe the crew of President…but they weren’t there….but there again it’s easy to pontificate from a keyboard isn’t it. 

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Won't I? The bloke who got me started boating, fixed the thing a few times and is one of my best friends has spent thirty years restoring a working boat.

Some of them are genuine oily handed enthusiasts, and some of them are pretentious prats. Bit like people on here, some of whom just make assumptions without engaging between-ear mechanisms, and some of whom don't.

• Greenie 2

Agree with you Arthur. From somone  who has seen it done it and posed for the T shirt! All but a small number of historic boat owners are up their own arses 

which is a real shame as there is nothing more satisfying then an historic boat with a period engine 

• Greenie 1