Alternator Upgrade Lucas ACR to A127?

Featured Posts

Afternoon all,

IIRC somone on here is a bit of an alternator expert, may even be able to supply me with one...?

I have what I strongly believe to be a Lucas ACR alternator, black plastic end cover, 3 spade terninal multi plug, 1 spade terminal for waring lamp & 1 modified winding tap.

I'm looking to upgrade the altenator to get a bit more charging current, I believe the A127 is a direct fit bar the easily modified wiring, any other anternators that would be a better choice? 

I don't want to go too mad on ampage as its just a single toothed belt, absolute max i would guestimate 110 to 120 amp...

Thanks

Dave

Well, you won't get much over 75 Amps from an A127, most nowadays are 70 amps. I can confirm they are a direct replacement as long as the fan is either universal or handed for your engine but it is usually Listers that run the alternators "backwards".

I can't supply you with one but any alternator & starter repairers or motor factors should have them is stock.

I did this. Cheap and simple upgrade. Far better than the old ACR. On a 1500 BMC diesel. 75 amps may not sound like much, but it is so much more then the 45 amps from the original!

17 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

Afternoon all,

IIRC somone on here is a bit of an alternator expert, may even be able to supply me with one...?

I have what I strongly believe to be a Lucas ACR alternator, black plastic end cover, 3 spade terninal multi plug, 1 spade terminal for waring lamp & 1 modified winding tap.

I'm looking to upgrade the altenator to get a bit more charging current, I believe the A127 is a direct fit bar the easily modified wiring, any other anternators that would be a better choice? 

I don't want to go too mad on ampage as its just a single toothed belt, absolute max i would guestimate 110 to 120 amp...

Thanks

Dave

Running a 100A alternator on a single belt is about the limit, 90A is better. Best price and service I have found is Lancashire Rotating Electrical.

I run Leece Neville 90A made by Prestolite which have been very reliable.

2 minutes ago, Jak said:

I did this. Cheap and simple upgrade. Far better than the old ACR. On a 1500 BMC diesel. 75 amps may not sound like much, but it is so much more then the 45 amps from the original!

I think some were only 30 or 35 amps and a modern A127 would double that.

• Happy 1

Thanks for the quick replies.  Yes the A127 would be a vast improvement over whats currently fitted, I was just wondering if that was the best upgrade path or if i could sneak a bit more power.  Understood about the 100 amp belt ceiling; yes, i really don't want to be changing belt every few months so will be 90 amps or under.

I did come accross a WOSP alternator that looked to have the same mounts but at £300 for 85 amps not cheap...  I'll give Lancashire Rotating Electrical a call in the morning see what recomendations they have but think i'll probvably just purchase an A127 from them...

There are a multitude of A127 connection versions.  Make sure you get one with a stud for B+, and preferably a stud for the Warniing light.

That ensures the extra output gets out of the alternator at least.

This will mean changes to the wiring, with new terminations,  but, in any case, you may well need to upgrade the size of the main positive output cable and the return (negative) cable to cope with a near doubling of the output. The idea is to prevent volt drop between alternator and battery, so size the cables for that,  not on their  rated current.

Check also that all your connections are clean and bright.

N

On 18/04/2022 at 17:50, Tracy D'arth said:

Best price and service I have found is Lancashire Rotating Electrical.

I run Leece Neville 90A made by Prestolite which have been very reliable.

Wow, big thumbs up for Lancs Rotating Electrical, great bunch, very knowledgeable & great prices...!! I've ordered an A127 !

• Greenie 1