Skylights Installation..

Wes

Featured Posts

On 18/04/2022 at 17:33, pearley said:

We had 3 in our narrowboat. No condensation as we fitted a perspex panel underneath attached by magnetic tape.

This is the skylight on our widebeam. Triple glazed, not that I would walk on it. No condensation.

IMG_20220418_173354234_HDR.jpg

Lovely stuff both ours will be triple glazed and one is walk on the other is just toughened. Looks good. 

1 hour ago, Bee said:

These things are tricky, I have two. The glazed and hinged 'leaves' have two very big potential problems. First is condensation so they must be double glazed, second is that water does not run off - it pools on the lower edge of the frame and rots it. When I made mine I made the glazed 'leaves' with the glass set quite deeply in the frame then woth double sided adhesive foam stuff stuck a piece of perspex over the top, water runs off, it looks ok, it does not rot amd in chilly weather it is condensation free. I also have covers for them to protect the varnish and I reckon that with a bit of polystyrene unde the cover it would be OK in winter.

When you say pools? Are you talking about the inner trim? Struggling to visualise. 

• 1 month later...

Hey Wes. I am looking to fit a flat skylight (as in pearly's picture) into a narrowboat I am moving onto in July. I was wondering if you had managed to get yours in and  how you got on? Also if it was successful if you would be happy to share details of who did it for you? Thanks

1 hour ago, Roberta_boat said:

Hey Wes. I am looking to fit a flat skylight (as in pearly's picture) into a narrowboat I am moving onto in July. I was wondering if you had managed to get yours in and  how you got on? Also if it was successful if you would be happy to share details of who did it for you? Thanks

Hey Roberta,

We have had the box welded into the roof and have ordered the glass but because its specific dims and double glazed the glass won't be with us for 4 weeks. 

I'll send a sketchup drawing or post on here of what we had done

that would be great thanks. are you doing all this yourself or do you have someone on the job? also if you would be happy to share costs (even privately) that would be great. I just rang someone who quoted around 5k per skylight (although he meant one which could be opened and closed so said it would be a little less for just sealed flat glass)

On 18/04/2022 at 17:33, pearley said:

We had 3 in our narrowboat. No condensation as we fitted a perspex panel underneath attached by magnetic tape.

This is the skylight on our widebeam. Triple glazed, not that I would walk on it. No condensation.

Hi Pearly,

Did you add this in or was it built in originally? I have something similar on my rented boat and looking to add to a boat I am buying... I love the look of flat ones because of the views but a guy I spoke to said it might increase the risk of leaks. He works with perspex and was recommending not to weld. Would be great to hear from you if you added yours. 

On 18/04/2022 at 13:57, Mike Jordan said:

I’ve wasted lots of my time down the years trying to persuade new boaters not to have Houdini type roof lights fitted to a new build so that they can “lie in bed and look at the stars”

One acquaintance resorted to a 200 mm thick slab of polystyrene on top of the hatch fitted with a purpose made cover, it still dripped!! It’s a good idea to think long and hard before having a hole in the roof.

Hi Mike,

Do you recommend another kind of roof hatch (i saw some lovely ones in your albums) or are they all a bad idea in your opinion? Also do you fit them and if so would be great to speak.

1 hour ago, Roberta_boat said:

Hi Pearly,

Did you add this in or was it built in originally? I have something similar on my rented boat and looking to add to a boat I am buying... I love the look of flat ones because of the views but a guy I spoke to said it might increase the risk of leaks. He works with perspex and was recommending not to weld. Would be great to hear from you if you added yours. 

The Houdini hatches were specified when we had the boat built. I added the perspex double glazing using magnetic tape to hold it in place against a 12mm batten around the wooden trim of the hatch.

As for the skylight on the current boat I just specified the size and left the rest to the builders. There are 4 other boats in our marina with similar skylights.