Today's new newbie - barge houseboat

PabloC

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Had the BSC inspection on my boat yesterday. The examiner is also a surveyor.

He said the surveying side of his business was increasing madly, not to potential buyers, but to people who have recently bought a boat without survey. Apparently having bought the boat they then get  worried and commission a belated survey.

Absolute madness as he has had to give several people bad news about their hulls.

There's a guy on my marina who recently bought a 50ft springer for £2,000 without a survey... it floats and hasn't been over plated... yet! We're all looking forward to when he has it removed for blacking, cruel buggers that we are. lol

6 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

There's a guy on my marina who recently bought a 50ft springer for £2,000 without a survey... it floats and hasn't been over plated... yet! We're all looking forward to when he has it removed for blacking, cruel buggers that we are. lol

I have seen 2 that almost broke in half when lifted. Neither ever went back in the water.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have seen 2 that almost broke in half when lifted. Neither ever went back in the water.

Exactly, he's only getting it pulled out because as he merrily tarts up the interior we're all saying hmmm - are you sure that's wise? You might have to rip it all out again when you find you have a teabag. We're not cruel enough to suggest it might snap in half but... yeah that's what we're thinking.

Edited by Slow and Steady

Its difficult because in todays market the deposit and contact does have the advantage of no gazumping as with houses. 

I am no legal expert but the (respected) brokers agreement I signed included the clause to the effect that if the survey finds big issues with the hull then the boat is not insurable and so either that needs rectifying by the vendor or you can pull out with your deposit returned. I think this contract has the same, or better with the cost of repair clause by the looks of it.

I would highlight that expecting to get a survey within 10 days of signing is pretty near impossible unless you can pull in a favour have compromising pictures of the surveyor or can pay a big premium for them do do one at midnight.  The waiting time I believe is very long hence a number of boats on the big brokers websites under offer recently. 

• Haha 1