Battery charge question

Boat afloat

Featured Posts

That is on the output, mains voltage. Dangerous if its accessible and the brown line wire is falling out.

Its the gauge of the INPUT cables from the batteries that need to be substantial , they carry 12v at a high current.

I hope all your boat wiring is not as bad as this example.

23 minutes ago, Boat afloat said:

mo’s engine still running and volts now 13.4 and rising so charging is happening at least.

That is what I would expect to happen but you need revs on the engine so a bit more than fast idle.

25 minutes ago, Boat afloat said:

OK. A bit of further inspection done. 3 of the 4 batteries have green spots in the inspection eyes, one is black. Could a single battery failure be the issue, presumably not? Wondering whether to isolate that one (along with the one already isolated).

Yes it could well be - internal shorts has dried the cell with the little window out. By all means isolate it and try again but I would not hold out much hope

1 minute ago, Boat afloat said:

It wasn’t in the tightest but hadn’t come out. Duly sorted now and nice and tight ;)

Lucky you did not get a fire with the hoover running. As Tracy said, they are the wrong cables but just a swell you found the loose connection.

You can get lidded plastic boxes designed to take those insulated terminal blocks from electical suppliers and, I think, Screwfix. The original type, which featured on Dragons Den, was called CHOCBOX , but now that the patent has expired, other brands are avsilable. This sort of box has lugs to secure the terminal block and cable clamps to secure the cables so they don't get pulled out so easily. 

The original insulated terminal strips were called chocolate blocks by engineers as they were made from brown plastic and resembled the large cubic blocks of the old Cadbury's chololate bars. Cadbury doesn't seem to make chocolate like that any more, and the strips are now usually white or clear, but the name has stuck.

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

You can get lidded plastic boxes designed to take those insulated terminal blocks from electical suppliers and, I think, Screwfix. The original type, which featured on Dragons Den, was called CHOCBOX , but now that the patent has expired, other brands are avsilable. This sort of box has lugs to secure the terminal block and cable clamps to secure the cables so they don't get pulled out so easily. 

The original insulated terminal strips were called chocolate blocks by engineers as they were made from brown plastic and resembled the large cubic blocks of the old Cadbury's chololate bars. Cadbury doesn't seem to make chocolate like that any more, and the strips are now usually white or clear, but the name has stuck.

Perfect thanks!!! This is the only connection of its type I can see on the boat…I’ve just gone and traced things but I will definitely replace this one!!!

5 minutes ago, Boat afloat said:

Perfect thanks!!! This is the only connection of its type I can see on the boat…I’ve just gone and traced things but I will definitely replace this one!!!

Personally I wold see if the cables have enough slack to use a proper mains junction box so it is less likely to get confused with 12V. Even a 5 amp junction box would be better than that chockblock

50 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Personally I wold see if the cables have enough slack to use a proper mains junction box so it is less likely to get confused with 12V. Even a 5 amp junction box would be better than that chockblock

i can see two areas where I can create slack without compromising anything so I’ll do that for sure.