Attitudes towards hirers

Robster123

Featured Posts

A similar sort of behaviour occurs on the roads - in that case there's little real oportunity to remonstrate with the other party. Have a look at the driving instructor videos on Utube...

1 hour ago, Robster123 said:

this was our fifth time doing the four counties, but our first time doing it clockwise, and probably our 23rd or 24th time hiring a narrow boat. I don’t consider myself experienced, because 2 or 3 weeks a year isn’t enough to call yourself such, but I do know how to moor a boat, I can successfully spring on and off the bank, I can safely negotiate locks and I slow down well before moored boats.

This is where you are going wrong 😀

I find time makes an expert 'expert' over actual experience. 

Had one a while ago telling me I was in too much of a rush if I was setting the next lock (below me) as he proceeded to empty it on me.

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

There is no priority for anyone, I suppose it could be considered polite to let a fuel boat get a head if they wanted, and I probably would, but beyond that nope.

What you have encountered is a species called idiotus foolious, they exist everywhere in relatively small numbers, unfortunately their impact on those around them can be out of proportion to any real authority they have (which is generally none), best ignored.

Occasionally one can encounter idiotus foolious spp.clipbordiois these generally have a much higher opinion of themselves and feel they do have some authority, again best ignored 

occasionally a wave and a gentle smile helps, as a last resort cup your ear and shout loudly "sorry I'm a little deaf, but I think it's half 2" this seems to clear most problems

I find when I encounter male (and it usually is males) idiots like this I now blow them a very exaggerated kiss.

It totally and completely confuses them.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I find when I encounter male (and it usually is males) idiots like this I now blow them a very exaggerated kiss.

It totally and completely confuses them.

Being extremely, almost over the top polite also works

• Greenie 1

I do pull over to let fuel boats past and once let Roger Fuller's boat go past at a lock cos they were going to an event and were much faster than us. It's the self entitled in waistcoats and neckerchiefs playing work boats that get nowhere with me when they claim priority. 

• Greenie 4

2 hours ago, Robster123 said:

probably our 23rd or 24th time hiring a narrow boat. I don’t consider myself experienced, because 2 or 3 weeks a year isn’t enough to call yourself such

I think you're doing yourself a disservice - I'd call you 'experienced' (for what it's worth). There are plenty of boat owners who haven't got as much experience as you.

I think you were unlucky -in 45 years boating (many of those in hire boats) I've never come across an owner who claimed priority over a hire boat. 

• Greenie 3

Just now, John Brightley said:

I think you're doing yourself a disservice - I'd call you 'experienced' (for what it's worth). There are plenty of boat owners who haven't got as much experience as you.

I think you were unlucky -in 45 years boating (many of those in hire boats) I've never come across an owner who claimed priority over a hire boat. 

Well hire boaters do actually get some (all be it minimal) instruction before being let loose.

Owners can just cast off into the sunset with no obligation to have any instruction what so ever.

52 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

A similar sort of behaviour occurs on the roads - in that case there's little real oportunity to remonstrate with the other party. Have a look at the driving instructor videos on Utube...

Yes but BMW & Audi don't build black narrowboats

Edited by buccaneer66

I've had the opposite. 

Going downhill I arrived at a lock that was empty with the bottom gates wide open. A boat was a couple of hundred yards away coming uphill so I hung around by the gate waiting for him to arrive and come into the lock. To my amazement and vague irritation he actually slowed right down then stopped on the lock landing. After a bit he then tied up so being more irritated by now I walked down to ask WTF he was up to. I'm SO pleased I didn't put it like that but politely enquired if he was staying there or coming into the lock. His reply was they saw me there and as we were there first it was obviously our lock so he decided to tie up an wait while we transited, and why weren't we getting on with it?!

Turned out this was his first time on a canal boat. It was a hire boat, and a Steve Hudson hire boat to boot. No signwriting to give a clue, and the only Hudson hire boat I've ever knowingly encountered.

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Well hire boaters do actually get some (all be it minimal) instruction before being let loose.

That is the case with hirers, but as anyone will tell you, who has had the job of instruction hirers. You can explain, but you can not make them listen, they more concerned with setting off. Which why some hirers get a bad name.  

• Greenie 2

Just now, MtB said:

I've had the opposite. 

Going downhill I arrived at a lock that was empty with the bottom gates wide open. A boat was a couple of hundred yards away coming uphill so I hung around by the gate waiting for him to arrive and come into the lock. To my amazement and vague irritation he actually slowed right down then stopped on the lock landing. After a bit he then tied up so being more irritated by now I walked down to ask WTF he was up to. I'm SO pleased I didn't put it like that but politely enquired if he was staying there or coming into the lock. His reply was they saw me there and as we were there first it was obviously our lock so he decided to tie up an wait while we transited, and why weren't we getting on with it?!

Turned out this was his first time on a canal boat. It was a hire boat, and a Steve Hudson hire boat to boot. No signwriting to give a clue, and the only Hudson hire boat I've ever knowingly encountered.

He had been reading a history book on canals before hiring.

On some canals in the past  e.g. the Oxford, marker posts some distance from lock gates giving precedence at the lock to the boat
first to the marker. Apparently introduced to try to calm down commercial traffic that otherwise would race each other right up to lock
entrance resulting in collisions, damage to lock gates and to fights. First boatman to crack their whip against the post had precedence.

• Greenie 1

To be honest, it was two boats out of loads we saw - it seemed to be a busy week! The rest were absolutely lovely, helpful and chatty. 

4 counties remains my favourite ring - we moored in new places , and it does seem so rural, with the exception of Stoke and Stone. Absolutely lovely.

• Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, Robster123 said:

We just ignored them really - we were out to have a relaxing time, not an argument!!! I’m very much a pacifist!! 

That's what I did with the turned lock. I just put the kettle and waited. Normally I'd have gone up and helped open gates.

• Greenie 2

During the days when the boats were working boats such occurrences were often dealt with by a punch up.

After their consignment to history there arose a certain etiquette amongst boaters.

Sadly now this is also disappearing and what I call “motorway manners” are creeping in on the cut.

• Greenie 2
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

That is the case with hirers, but as anyone will tell you, who has had the job of instruction hirers. You can explain, but you can not make them listen, they more concerned with setting off. Which why some hirers get a bad name.  

The problem is actually more to do with how much information one is expected to absorb in a relatively small time period.

As well as instruction about driving the boat through to how the various bits of the boat work.

But either way I was never instructed in anything when I bought our boat, but Ive never been allowed to take a boat out from a hire base without instruction first.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Stealth hire boat if I remember correctly

1 hour ago, nbfiresprite said:

There is an awful lot to take in in about 30-45 minutes.