Whistling Kettle Recommendations Please

JoeC

Featured Posts

Evening.

Can anybody recommend a good make of stove top whistling kettle with a fixed handle please - one that will not burn through the bottom or warp when you use it. I don't think my camping Vango one is going to survive the amount of use it is going to get on the boat.

Thanks

Joe

My Vango camping one has lasted three year with full-time use, with no sign of deterioration.  It has a folding handle for filling.  I expect it to last a long time, but your use may be heavier than mine.  Living on the cooker top, It doesn't get chucked around as it might when camping.

We have a Le Creuset. The handle folds if you want it to but is substantial, the lid is a firm fit and the whistle works and levers out of the way to pour with a thumb push of a lever. You don't burn yourself with it, so that seems like a good thing. I'd expect their kettles,like everything Ke Creuset, to be quite expensive, but from TK Maxx is was such a reasonable price as to be  unmemorable. Ours is black enamel finish, but there was a choice of colours. I guess the trick is to be at that jumble sale of a store at the right time to snag one. If you can though, it's a good 'un.

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

We have a Le Creuset. The handle folds if you want it to but is substantial, the lid is a firm fit and the whistle works and levers out of the way to pour with a thumb push of a lever. You don't burn yourself with it, so that seems like a good thing. I'd expect their kettles,like everything Ke Creuset, to be quite expensive, but from TK Maxx is was such a reasonable price as to be  unmemorable. Ours is black enamel finish, but there was a choice of colours. I guess the trick is to be at that jumble sale of a store at the right time to snag one. If you can though, it's a good 'un.

Another vote for a Le Creuset kettle here. We got one about 25 years ago for the boat, wasn't silly expensive at the time. Kept it when boat sold. Our one though has the removable whistle, which can scald your fingers;  the lever and hinged one would be better. Also, it was important not to overfill it or it would splurt water out. Other than that, a chunky, decent piece of kit that's still in sound condition.

We have a very nice whistling copper kettle the previous owners kindly agreed we could keep when we bought the boat. So that's probably the most expensive (or cheapest) kettle ever. I have had a look online  to see if there's anything similar I could point the OP to,  but cant see anything that looks the same. 

1 minute ago, Ianws said:

We have a very nice whistling copper kettle the previous owners kindly agreed we could keep when we bought the boat. So that's probably the most expensive (or cheapest) kettle ever. I have had a look online  to see if there's anything similar I could point the OP to,  but cant see anything that looks the same. 

A photo may help!😊

11 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

A photo may help!😊

I know. I have some photos of the boat but didnt think the kettle was important. I don't live aboard but will try to remember to get a picture. Not sure how helpful it will be, when I searched online, nothing like ours came up.

1 minute ago, buccaneer66 said:

your boat only cost a ton did you mug the owner 🤣

It was about £90 when I totted it up. It's only a tiny Shetland GRP and a poor example at that. £192 project off ebay on a trailer in 2019, £90 for diesel to collect, just over £100 for ply, paint and perspex. Got more than £300 back selling the trailer and a diving ladder that it came with. I just wanted to get back on the canal, and now pay more per month to CaRT than the boat cost me. Throughout Covid lockdown to boot! But I do like the canal.