1st new arrivals for spring.

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Today I have seen the first of the spring lambs born, twins in fact.

Good to see the new birth after a miserable winter.

Pictures?

52 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

That is obvs in the frozen Norf.

Down our way, Zummmerzet, they were lambing in  the second half of January and February.  That was a couple of weeks later than normal, but I don't know why.  Tup got on the cider perhaps?

It is nice to see the youngsters bounding around though.

The magpies have started nest  rebuilding post storms, at  the top of the hornbeam, but I think they might be a bit too late this year.

N

Well, i'm up norf and the lambs have been around for a week or two now, and are getting quite big, suspect somebody will kill them soon and eat them, really glad I am vegetarian.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dmr said:

Well, i'm up norf and the lambs have been around for a week or two now, and are getting quite big, suspect somebody will kill them soon and eat them, really glad I am vegetarian.

Me too. It leaves more for the rest of us.:D

Our garden mint is growing nicely too, so we'll be able to make the appropriate dressing.

Edited by Athy

38 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Saw the first hireboat steerer wearing a captain's hat yesterday. Spring has spung.

MP.

The Fox's day-hire narrowboats started passing our garden last weekend. Crew headgear not noted.

14 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

There are about three hundred lambs in the fields which I walk through most days, with about another hundred due in the next week or so. They started arriving about a month ago

10 hours ago, dmr said:

And if we were all vegetarians, there would be no lambs to see!

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

There are about three hundred lambs in the fields which I walk through most days, with about another hundred due in the next week or so. They started arriving about a month ago

More lambs overnight, mostly twins. Also about thirty calves all born in the last week or so.

5 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Saw the first hireboat steerer wearing a captain's hat yesterday. Spring has spung.

MP.

I got helped through Bascote lock by a full sized female alligator a few days ago . I think all vollies should follow this example 😀

Best part of 40 years ago my daughter was having a lamb chop for dinner watching the lambs gamboling in the field behind the house.

"Daddy why is this called a lamb chop when there are lambs in the field"

"Oh that's simple my dear" I said "they take the lambs from the field and chop them up"

"I don't want to eat this" was the reply.

Even today she still won't eat lamb😉🤭

On 14/04/2022 at 19:57, Tonka said:

According to my neighbours who are all sheep farmers lambing is running late this year

Biology facts, it all depends on the date of putting a tup in with a ewe, the lambing percentage depends on the condition of the females on that date. I don't think sheep can adopt a go slow, (delayed parturition), I may be wrong, some one hundred and thirty mammals can, but tend to be exotic.

Edited by LadyG

• 5 months later...
On 15/04/2022 at 21:47, LadyG said:

Biology facts, it all depends on the date of putting a tup in with a ewe, the lambing percentage depends on the condition of the females on that date. I don't think sheep can adopt a go slow, (delayed parturition), I may be wrong, some one hundred and thirty mammals can, but tend to be exotic.

Fascinating!

• Haha 1