Where to do a boat refit?

Sphinx123

Featured Posts

I'm wondering... Can you moor up on a stretch of the canal and move say a few miles down it every two weeks (unless signs say otherwise) and then find a turning point, go back to the beginning, and do the stretch again? We're refitting our narrowboat and just trying to figure out if it would be feasible to do this while we refit it? (We're brand new to boating so my apologies if this is a stupid question!)

My other idea is to moor at a marina and take it out to a quiet part of the canal for all the loud jobs, and do the quieter jobs in the marina (painting, tiling, cleaning engine bay, plumbing, wiring etc)

I can't seem to find a boat yard nearby where I live so I'm not sure if that's another option

1. Depends upon what you mean by  a few miles but probably not. You will need to move several times in one direction (to a new "place" each time before you turn round. See the CaRT requirements.

2. Many marinas will not let you paint in case you make dust or splatter other boats. Check what the chosen marina will or will not find acceptable.

3. Think how you will get 8 x 4 sheets of ply down the towpath or into the marina if the marina will not accept deliveries for you. think about manipulating and cutting 8 x 4 sheets of ply in a space about 5ft  wide. Any job is likely to take between three and five times longer than you think. many people just get fed up with what starts to look like a never ending task.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

1. Depends upon what you mean by  a few miles but probably not. You will need to move several times in one direction (to a new "place" each time before you turn round. See the CaRT requirements.

2. Many marinas will not let you paint in case you make dust or splatter other boats. Check what the chosen marina will or will not find acceptable.

3. Think how you will get 8 x 4 sheets of ply down the towpath or into the marina if the marina will not accept deliveries for you. think about manipulating and cutting 8 x 4 sheets of ply in a space about 5ft  wide. Any job is likely to take between three and five times longer than you think. many people just get fed up with what starts to look like a never ending task.

1. See also endless threads on here about what constitutes valid continuous cruising.

2. I once took a winter mooring where occupiers of an adjacent building complained about diesel noise and smoke when I did a bit of battery charging. So any noisy construction work would have been a problem.

4. You can't really fit out without power tools, and random towpath spots don't have a shoreline connection. So you will need a generator or boat engine + inverter to run mains tools. If you are not living aboard you can use battery tools which you take home and charge between visits, but how many tools do you want to carry up the towpath morning and evening, and what happens when a battery goes flat half way through the day?

Edited by David Mack

2 hours ago, n3sh14 said:

My other idea is to moor at a marina and take it out to a quiet part of the canal for all the loud jobs, and do the quieter jobs in the marina (painting, tiling, cleaning engine bay, plumbing, wiring etc)

You can bet your bottom Dollar that Sods Law comes into play:- two hours into that "quieter job" and you will have to admit to yourself that an ear piercing power tool is the only way to proceed... no matter how hard you plan in advance!  Hardly the time to cast off, travel for a couple of miles and leave your land based car / van laden tool chest behind.

Better to find a mooring / DIY boat yard that has the facilities you require (including Loo's, - often overlooked when selecting a site) even if that involves more travel / cost than you planned for.  You will get the fit out done more quickly in my view.

This is challenging, I know as I've done it and more than once. You need to be as organised as poss., If you can possibly do as much cutting of 8x4 panels on dry land that is a great help, a car with a roof rack is kind of useful too. These days almost every tool is available cordless and that can take a massive amount of labour away from the task. As for loading up the boat with stuff then chugging along the canal to a quiet place then yes, that is a good idea if you can find somewhere.  A 'workmate' bench or something with a vice is probably essential too. Its not easy and sometimes grim determination is needed but yes, everything is doable. My boat - like most boats - needs constant things doing to it and sometimes quite big things, the boat is in Belgium (or France ) and lots of stuff is made here in the UK then fitted at the boat - no going back to check measurements! Just go for it and keep the bank tidy so no one starts moaning and you will get there. Good luck.

14 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

On a hard standing is your best bet...

I would say so too. 
There will be somewhere cheap enough to make it a more cost effect way (time and money wise) than driving to different locations and worrying about moving and leaving the boat. 
Find somewhere close enough to industrial estates with timber yards and paint shops. 
You’ll have access to electricity and perhaps toilets and a shower (as someone else pointed out).
There’ll be a skip for your waste. So you won’t being leaving anything behind on the towpath. 
Chances are there’ll be people around to give advice or pay to do the bits you can’t. 

• Greenie 1

If your boat is out on hard standing, don't forget that everything you want to add to the boat, whether that's ballast, 8x4 sheets of plywood or new batteries, will have to be carried up the steps.