Old working boat-folks pubs

tonyreptiles

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

@Captain Pegg Searching old maps I found this:

Blackhorse Rd and Upper Green Lane the same road?
Also, Grange Rd was Grange Lane.
The nearest reference to the Boat Inn Grange Lane / Road looks like the "P" in map 2.

Maps dated 1888-1913.

Boat Inn.JPG

Grange Lane.JPG

I knew Grange Road was once Grange Lane and that Blackhorse Road wasn't always called that. Logically at some point it was Hawkesbury Lane as that's what the L&NWR called their station. It does seem possible that a pub gave the name to the road but as your research shows there were two pubs in close proximity with the same name. The Neal family home where my mum and gran were born was between the two. The Black Horse was a bit further away.

ETA - The Boat on Grange Road would have been inside the Coventry city boundary from 1912 onwards whereas the Boat Inn on Blackhorse Road never was. They would always have been in different parishes. 

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Worth turning back around for I reckon 😃

A big reason they loose a lot of custom is because they’re so strick on their opening hours. 
They shut between 3 and 6.

Missing a lot the early teatime drinkers. 
And they don’t do cooked food which everyone seems to want now, above beer.

They do cooked food I was there when Olive told a couple that they do cheese sandwiches etc and they do cooked food. What do you do said the couple?

Olive replied toasted cheese sandwich etc

• Happy 1

One of my favourite canalside pubs is the Weighbridge at Alvechurch. Being a new(ish) creation it's got no working boatpeople heritage but it is a canal related building in a working canal environment. More to the point though it serves good locally sourced beers and has cobs on sale at lunchtimes. Why would anyone make a point of going to a pub in Staffordshire that serves mediocre beer from Wiltshire? Other free houses that spectacularly fail to take advantage of their status are the Blue Lias (two beers from Cornwall on when I called in last year) and the Boat at Stoke Bruerne which bizarrely had only Marston's products on sale when I last visited; the only other pub in the village being a Marston's house.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Captain Pegg said:

One of my favourite canalside pubs is the Weighbridge at Alvechurch. Being a new(ish) creation it's got no working boatpeople heritage but it is a canal related building in a working canal environment. More to the point though it serves good locally sourced beers and has cobs on sale at lunchtimes. Why would anyone make a point of going to a pub in Staffordshire that serves mediocre beer from Wiltshire? Other free houses that spectacularly fail to take advantage of their status are the Blue Lias (two beers from Cornwall on when I called in last year) and the Boat at Stoke Bruerne which bizarrely had only Marston's products on sale when I last visited; the only other pub in the village being a Marston's house.

Don't think Doom bar on keg is brewed in Cornwall any more.

13 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Pity you can’t moor nearby for all the boats seemingly welded to the towpath there…I swear some don’t move from the VM year to year. 

Just now, frangar said:

Pity you can’t moor nearby for all the boats seemingly welded to the towpath there…I swear some don’t move from the VM year to year. 

At Alvechurch? I usually moor opposite the boatyard. I sometimes moor on the boatyard wharf itself and push across to the other side after I've been to the pub. I can think of a couple of boats that have been long term at Alvechurch but I've never had a problem mooring there.

20 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Because it really *is* an unspoiled throwback to the middle of the last century -- restricted opening hours, one not-wonderful beer from a faraway brewery in variable condition, no lager/Guinness/wine or ice for chilled soft drinks or mixers, bare scrubbed tables and wooden chairs, nothing modern or electronic of any description -- which I suspect may cause them problems given the rapid decline of cash since Covid.

If you value old-time atmosphere more than what you're drinking, it's a true gem -- which I suspect answers your question. If you think that the first requirement for a great pub is reliably good beer, it isn't.

There are other pubs with "old-timey" atmosphere which manage to sell far better beer -- given the wide availability of such nowadays, there's really no excuse for not doing this... 😞

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

At Alvechurch? I usually moor opposite the boatyard. I sometimes moor on the boatyard wharf itself and push across to the other side after I've been to the pub. I can think of a couple of boats that have been long term at Alvechurch but I've never had a problem mooring there.

Ive managed to moor there once in the many times I’ve boated through I think….every other time the CM brigade seem have moved in…maybe they only show up when I’m there and moor in the same spots…

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

Because it really *is* an unspoiled throwback to the middle of the last century -- restricted opening hours, one not-wonderful beer from a faraway brewery in variable condition, no lager/Guinness/wine or ice for chilled soft drinks or mixers, bare scrubbed tables and wooden chairs, nothing modern or electronic of any description -- which I suspect may cause them problems given the rapid decline of cash since Covid.

If you value old-time atmosphere more than what you're drinking, it's a true gem -- which I suspect answers your question. If not, it isn't...

Someone has already suggested the Bottle & Glass. The beer is certainly better even if it is Banks's.

I get the attraction of the building but the whole thing seems like it's just stuck in the past, a past where beer was worse than is generally available today. We can have both. On that subject I'll add the Rising Sun at Berkhamsted to the list of recommended places. Good choice of excellent locally sourced beer.

10 minutes ago, frangar said:

Ive managed to moor there once in the many times I’ve boated through I think….every other time the CM brigade seem have moved in…maybe they only show up when I’m there and moor in the same spots…

They've seen you coming...

Just head on through the village past the VMs to the south end where the boatyard is. Never seen it full although out of season the hire fleet does migrate to the towpath side. Doubtless because it's opposite the yard and marina there'll soon be 'No Mooring' signs going up.

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Someone has already suggested the Bottle & Glass. The beer is certainly better even if it is Banks's.

I get the attraction of the building but the whole thing seems like it's just stuck in the past, a past where beer was worse than is generally available today. We can have both. On that subject I'll add the Rising Sun at Berkhamsted to the list of recommended places. Good choice of excellent locally sourced beer.

Precisely. I was going to suggest the Bottle and Glass, but thought this might be cheating since it's in a museum -- but when we were there I'm pretty sure they had very nice local microbrew beer, not just Banks's.

Blue Bell at Kidsgrove 🙂

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Precisely. I was going to suggest the Bottle and Glass, but thought this might be cheating since it's in a museum -- but when we were there I'm pretty sure they had very nice local microbrew beer, not just Banks's.

Blue Bell at Kidsgrove 🙂

They don't advertise it on the pumps cos that's a new-fangled thing. The choice when I've been in recent times has been Banks's Sunbeam as the ale or Banks's Mild.

Hopefully I'll able to try the delights of some of Staffordshire and Cheshire's finest this year, and maybe even further north.

What about the Manor Arms, Off Daw End Lane, Rushall

About the Pub

A canal-side pub rumoured to originally have been built around 1105 and to have held a licence to serve ale since 1248 which would make it one of the oldest pubs in the country, although the current building is largely 18th century. Traditionally styled, it still retains features like the exposed beams and there is an open fire in the bar.

The beer pulls come straight out of the wall resulting in the pub being known locally as 'the pub with no bar'. It has a historic pub interior of national importance.

Popular with walkers, cyclists and dog owners. Situated next to a country park and nature reserve.

Although a little off the beaten track, the pub is well worth a visit.

Historic Interest

Thought to be one of the oldest pubs in the country. Has no bar!

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

Had my first pint in the Weighbridge, it used to just be a small bar in the front room and was the bar for the Weighbridge Cruising and Social Club.  I often stayed upstairs as I grew up with the kids that lived there.  The room that now has the bar was opened up so us kids had somewhere to go, then eventually the bar was moved in to that room when they started doing a lot more food.  It used to be drink only and if you wanted food someone nipped down to the takeaway in Alvechurch.

Just now, Tonka said:

What about the Manor Arms, Off Daw End Lane, Rushall

About the Pub

A canal-side pub rumoured to originally have been built around 1105 and to have held a licence to serve ale since 1248 which would make it one of the oldest pubs in the country, although the current building is largely 18th century. Traditionally styled, it still retains features like the exposed beams and there is an open fire in the bar.

The beer pulls come straight out of the wall resulting in the pub being known locally as 'the pub with no bar'. It has a historic pub interior of national importance.

Popular with walkers, cyclists and dog owners. Situated next to a country park and nature reserve.

Although a little off the beaten track, the pub is well worth a visit.

Historic Interest

Thought to be one of the oldest pubs in the country. Has no bar!

It's in a similar vein to The Anchor in that the building is the attraction rather than the beer. It's fine and certainly the place to stop in comparison to the pub next door. I think there are many similar pub buildings, just they've had a bar installed.

Old working Boatmans pubs are few & far between these days. When most came off the boats they almost all settled in areas where other boating folk also settled.

In the Working  Men's & British Legion clubs in these area's you will find Working Boat Folk having a good old sing song . These also sadly are venues used after a funeral & Coventry ,Daventry ,Northampton area's have had many this last six months.11 of mine have gone to the great cut in the sky since Christmas. like the pubs they will all soon be history & a thing of the past .

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

However Doombar is made, it's a dreadful beer!

My fave by the way, is Ruddles County.

Doom Bar isn't dreadful. It's brewed to be easy to transit, cellar and tap as a consistent product. The problem is that in achieving that aim it is also quite bland which kind of takes away the point of it being a real ale. It's never particularly good but it's rarely terrible either. There are things with more and better flavour available in tins on the shelf of your local supermarket.

And in which decade was Ruddles County your favourite beer?

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

And in which decade was Ruddles County your favourite beer?

You've got me scratching my head now. 

Had a couple of pints of it at the aptly named The Bridge pub at Longroyd Bridge on the HNC.

Fairly sure it was summer last year.

I do remember it was a superb beer, have been in since but it was not on. I think it was a guest beer, and sadly I have not found a pub locally that sells it.

I do remember it being about the best beer I have had.

2 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

You've got me scratching my head now. 

Had a couple of pints of it at the aptly named The Bridge pub at Longroyd Bridge on the HNC.

Fairly sure it was summer last year.

I do remember it was a superb beer, have been in since but it was not on. I think it was a guest beer, and sadly I have not found a pub locally that sells it.

I do remember it being about the best beer I have had.

I think it may have been the 1980s when I last had a pint of Ruddles County, before the original Ruddles brewery closed and when I may still have been underage.

58 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

According to Wikapedia, the Ruddles name is now owned by Greeneking.

County is widely available in cans and bottles, but I can't find a pub that has it on tap. (preferably hand pulled)

Ruddles County is so far down my list of favourite beers that it's almost fallen off the bottom, it's somewhere down there with John Smiths and Greene King IPA... 😞

• Greenie 1

On 16/04/2022 at 08:57, johnthebridge said:

Anyone remember the name of the Davenport's pub that used to be at the top of Atherstone? Very basic but characterful, like the hat factory next door. I've forgotten it now, but seem to think "Witch" had something to do with the name. Maybe not.

When you went past on a fine day and the factory windows were open, you'd always get a cheery wave or a ribald remark from the women working there. On one occasion, a mate and I were taking a Woolwich up to Walsall and stopped for a glass of Davvy's. We then decided to blag our way in for a look at the wonderfully old-fashioned and Victorian factory and, to our surprise, they supplied us with a ready guide who happily showed us the whole place. Inevitably, we just HAD to try on some of their products, accompanied by much hilarity from the girls working there.

A surprise and a little deceit was our guide showing us some really authentic cowboy Stetsons, the real 10 gallon variety. She pointed out the labels sewn into the hatbands which read something like "Made in the US of A". She told us that "real" Wild Westerners would never have bought them had they had "Made in Atherstone, England" in them.

(Always the way, but as soon as I went off site, I remembered the pub's name. The "Maid of the Mill"--very appropriate, given its venerable neighbour)

Maid of the Mill?