Old working boat-folks pubs

tonyreptiles

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Unfortunately not a boat pub

More of a factory worker pub or industrial estate boozer.

Good pub mind. 

And probably the closest thing to a boater's pub you'll find; somewhere in close proximity to where working folk do whatever it is they do and then head for a drink after they finish. That includes the country pub given those were a place for agricultural workers to quench their thirst.

• Greenie 1

Anyone remember the name of the Davenport's pub that used to be at the top of Atherstone? Very basic but characterful, like the hat factory next door. I've forgotten it now, but seem to think "Witch" had something to do with the name. Maybe not.

When you went past on a fine day and the factory windows were open, you'd always get a cheery wave or a ribald remark from the women working there. On one occasion, a mate and I were taking a Woolwich up to Walsall and stopped for a glass of Davvy's. We then decided to blag our way in for a look at the wonderfully old-fashioned and Victorian factory and, to our surprise, they supplied us with a ready guide who happily showed us the whole place. Inevitably, we just HAD to try on some of their products, accompanied by much hilarity from the girls working there.

A surprise and a little deceit was our guide showing us some really authentic cowboy Stetsons, the real 10 gallon variety. She pointed out the labels sewn into the hatbands which read something like "Made in the US of A". She told us that "real" Wild Westerners would never have bought them had they had "Made in Atherstone, England" in them.

(Always the way, but as soon as I went off site, I remembered the pub's name. The "Maid of the Mill"--very appropriate, given its venerable neighbour)

Edited by johnthebridge

What about pubs where you could be served on your boat? I did enter the Rodley Barge though one of the windows on one occasion many years ago, and there was a pub on Blackburn Road, Church, which I am told served boatmen though the window onto the canal. How about pubs once owned by boaters. Nellie Forshaw used to own the Farmers Arms at New Lane, and she came from a boating family.

Last time I was there (last spring) it was still a friendly local pub, the staff were very welcoming and it's dog friendly. Not a big choice of beer (and no food) but I often drink Guinness which is competently kept.

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's kegged.  How is it possible to get it wrong?

I suppose sticking it in the oven would be bad, but other than that needs work!

I’ve had enough poorly tasting Guinness to know it can be both badly kept & served…especially if the pub doesn’t have a high turnover of it. 

3 hours ago, frangar said:

I’ve had enough poorly tasting Guinness to know it can be both badly kept & served…especially if the pub doesn’t have a high turnover of it. 

Turnover is the thing for me, in a new (to me) pub I will have checked how many Guinness drinkers there are by the time I get served. If I don't spot a few, I have something else.

Until a few years ago there was a noticeable difference between London and Dublin brewed Guinness but now we don't have that choice. Also Guinness is served so cold that there is now little skill in serving it.

Edited by frahkn

On 14/04/2022 at 21:43, Tam & Di said:

You're looking at a life that finished some 60+ years ago. Even if you find a pub which has remained almost unchanged over that time, any working boatmen links will be very unlikely.

Tam

Was out on the boat, so unable to reply until today.

From a poem by the late boater Ray White.

"So now towards the pub I turn, the centre of our lives,

The ‘Greyhound’ was a ‘home from home’, for boatmen and their wives.

Alas it has been ‘Modernised’, it never had a bar.

And boating folk feel strangers now – its patrons come by car.

And gone too is the little shop, where boat wives spent their pay,

Buying enough of this and that to last ‘till settling day.

Our friendly Mrs. Nelson, ‘Rowie’ and Nuala too

No longer serve the folks beer and crisps – it’s not the pub I knew."

Edited by Ray T

On 16/04/2022 at 10:36, Pluto said:

What about pubs where you could be served on your boat? I did enter the Rodley Barge though one of the windows on one occasion many years ago, and there was a pub on Blackburn Road, Church, which I am told served boatmen though the window onto the canal. How about pubs once owned by boaters. Nellie Forshaw used to own the Farmers Arms at New Lane, and she came from a boating family.

Coincidentally had a very nice meal in the farmers yesterday afternoon. Pleased to note a number of boats moored up and taking advantage....

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am moored outside The Anchor and looking at their opening hours I wonder what the beer is like.

Pre lockdown I’d never had a bad pint there. They use small barrels so it has a good turnover. I’ve had terrible 6X in pubs that look busy. I’m looking forward to visiting this year. 

It obviously helps that they only do 6X and a decent cider…..not a massive range of poorly kept ale that some pubs seem to think is a selling point these days. 

Edited by frangar

On 14/04/2022 at 12:22, tonyreptiles said:

Hi All.

I'm looking to make a list of the best/most unspoilt canal pubs with a working-boat heritage. 

I've got the Shroppie Fly and the Swan in Fradley. 

Where else should we be looking at? I realise most of them will be closed or turned into gastro-pubs now, but where should we go for the most unspoilt working-boat experience?

Thanks in advance.

TR

Excellent plan! 

The Bird in Hand at Kent Green was memorable when we visited it in the 80s -- very much like the Anchor at High Offley is today, but with better beer 😉

We were dealing for a hand of crib when the landlady told us "No you're not, I haven't had any gambling in here for forty years and you're not starting now!". Our pleas that no money was involved fell on deaf ears, and we ended up moving to the Ansells pub round the corner -- nothing like as nice a pub and tolerable beer, but no ban on cards... 😞

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

The Bird in Hand at Kent Green was memorable when we visited it in the 80s -- very much like the Anchor at High Offley is today, but with better beer 😉

We were dealing for a hand of crib when the landlady told us "No you're not, I haven't had any gambling in here for forty years and you're not starting now!". Our pleas that no money was involved fell on deaf ears, and we ended up moving to the Ansells pub round the corner -- nothing like as nice a pub and tolerable beer, but no ban on cards... 😞

I visited several times in the '70s, and it really was a step back in time. I remember the landlady had a very approximate view when it came to applying her lipstick, and she bore a slight resemblance to a somewhat dishevelled pantomime dame. Her husband(?) was a nice chap, very quiet, and served you straight from an enamel jug. There was nothing in the room to tell you you were in a pub, no advertising, no bar and just domestic tables and chairs. On one occasion I recall, the sun was streaming through the windows, highlighting the dust, the only sound the clock ticking the time away, and it felt as it must have done some 100 years before. Very evocative of a time unknown and lost to us now.

There was another very similar place in Worcester, The Block House, just down the street from the lock of that name.

18 hours ago, Ray T said:

Was out on the boat, so unable to reply until today.

From a poem by the late boater Ray White.

"So now towards the pub I turn, the centre of our lives,

The ‘Greyhound’ was a ‘home from home’, for boatmen and their wives.

Alas it has been ‘Modernised’, it never had a bar.

And boating folk feel strangers now – its patrons come by car.

And gone too is the little shop, where boat wives spent their pay,

Buying enough of this and that to last ‘till settling day.

Our friendly Mrs. Nelson, ‘Rowie’ and Nuala too

No longer serve the folks beer and crisps – it’s not the pub I knew."

Mrs Nelson Greyhound.JPG

Jim Collins New Inn.JPG

Jim Collins at the New Inn and Mrs Nelson at the Greyhound

Some of these no longer exist:

Admiral Nelson, Braunston.

Boat Inn Birdingbury.

Boat Inn Grange Road, Longford, Coventry, disappeared beneath the M6

The Black Horse, Longford has been renamed The Boat Inn.

Boat Inn Braunston - not sure if this was ever a "boaters" pub.

The Wheatsheaf, Braunston, may have had a different name in boater's days.

The Plough, Braunston.

Bridge Inn Ertureia, Trent & Mersey.

Cape of Good Hope, Warwick.

Elephant & Castle, Tusses Bridge.

New Inn Bedworth, closed.

Boat Inn Stoke Bruerne

Punch Bowl Inn, near Abbey St. Station, Nuneaton  demolished 1950.

Not to be confused with "The Punch Bowl" Tuttle Hill, now a Pizzeria.

Drawbridge Inn Shirley.

Spotted Cow Buckby bottom lock.

Long ago closed, now a private residence.

Two Boats, Long Itchington.

The Folly, Napton.

The Three Pidgeon's, Oxford Canal. 

Three Horseshoes, Winkwell.

There was a pub top of Braunston flight, forgotten its name, long since gone.

Plus, many, many, more.

Edited by Ray T