Pub food in Macclesfield

haggis

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, haggis said:

We will probably moor in Macclesfield tonight and it might be nice to have a pub meal. It is years since we have been up here . Are there any decent pub food places near the canal ?

Whilst neither a pub nor near the canal (!!!!) I can thoroughly recommend “Lord of the Pies” in the town centre…actually it might not open in the evening either..🤣….but it does do excellent pies! 

As I recall everything is a little way from the cut in Macclesfield and involves hills….

19 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Easier to moor at the Aquaduct and pop down the steps to the King’s. 
They’re good for food

Thank you. I am not having s good day what with dog falling into a lock and me breaking a plate and a long slog  up Bosley.  I forgot I put Kelpie hard aground this morning. I need food I haven't prepared tonight 🙂

Edited by haggis

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Sounds a bad day

You deserve a 🍺 

and a half for the dog 

No locks til Marple. 
I’ve a phone number for the lockies at Marple if you need help there. 

It's ok thanks we are not going down Marple. The plan is to visit bugsworth basin and come back the Macc. We can't have two bad trips in a row, can we ?

The Kings at Gurnet aqueduct is OK but the best food in Macclesfield is from Mill Lane chippy. It was exceptional when I was last there.

I moored in Macc for years and never found a good cheap food place.

Chesters Restaurant on Chestergate is good but not cheap.

Probably too late now, but the "posh" Sutton Hall" is just a short walk from the aqueduct. Slightly expensive but good food, decent beer and dog friendly, and a spectacular building.

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

Probably too late now, but the "posh" Sutton Hall" is just a short walk from the aqueduct. Slightly expensive but good food, decent beer and dog friendly, and a spectacular building.

It is a lovely building. 
But it don’t serve Bass 🍺 😃

And it is a long walk (10min) if all you want to do is fall into a pub for dinner. 

I think the Kings is dog friendly too 🤷‍♀️

I think next time we go we should hide inside the suits of armour til they all gone home, then we can have bar to ourselves. 

36 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It is a lovely building. 
But it don’t serve Bass 🍺 😃

And it is a long walk (10min) if all you want to do is fall into a pub for dinner. 

I think the Kings is dog friendly too 🤷‍♀️

I think next time we go we should hide inside the suits of armour til they all gone home, then we can have bar to ourselves. 

They always have a lot of beers on, mostly local or some of their own, they are always ok but I have rarely had a really really good and exciting pint in a Brunning and Price pub. I like them because its always good to visit a smart pub that lets the dog in.

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

They always have a lot of beers on, mostly local or some of their own, they are always ok but I have rarely had a really really good and exciting pint in a Brunning and Price pub. I like them because its always good to visit a smart pub that lets the dog in.

It’s because of the dog they let you in.
👍 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dmr said:

We were trying to remember the name of that place which we visited many years ago.

Just now, haggis said:

We were trying to remember the name of that place which we visited many years ago.

It's not really all that posh, but crammed with interesting things, including IIRC a Lord Lucan connection.  And very friendly staff.  I remember I went in my boating clothes expecting noses to be turned up, but no.  I very rarely ate out when boating, but remember having quail's eggs just because I could!

• Greenie 1

Thanks Goliath, for your recommendation we had a lovely meal and will go back, nice friendly staff too. We managed to moor at the top of the steps so it fitted the bill very well.  Meg doesn't accompany us to pubs but has her after dinner nap while we are out.