Gardner (2LW) engine coolant - which is the correct one?

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Stated in the "Instruction Book No. 67"  (or is it 87?) it recommends the antifreeze to be Ethanediol.  At the moment my antifreeze is PINK.  Not a great description but that is all I know of it.  I am wanting to renew the antifreeze and my main concern is using the correct one for the corrosion inhibitor.  I can't remember the exact age of my engine but it is mid 1960s.

Morris do a MEG based antifreeze which I have read is okay - but it does contain silicates of which I am unsure of its use in the older engine.

Does anyone know the correct antifreeze type for the Gardner 2LW (and of course for any engine of this type and age) that has the correct formulation to prevent rusting and corrosion of the block and pipework.

Looking forward to your replies.

Richard

Gardner_Manual_Screenshot_2022-04-13_10-23-04.png

Use any kind of good brand  coolant ....I use the old style green coolant in mine......No point using the highly expensive ones......unless you want to..........its more important you use pure water for the mix .......I use rain water from a heavy rain event ,after the dust and pollution have washed out of the air..................I did buy a 6LW for scrap where the whole cylinder block had been burst apart by freezing...........so it pays to keep up the antifreeze level.

Id use Morris MEG...the blue stuff....and change it every two years....do make sure you flush the system well to remove all traces of whats been in there before.

There has been much debate on classic car forums about use of more modern antifreeze in older engines and despite some saying its fine the manufacturers seem reluctant to endorse this especially where copper/brass might be present in the cooling system. 

I use Morris MEG in my JP with no ill effects....althougth its very searching so will find points to leak that if Raw water cooled would be ok.

Ethanol based antifreeze is bad news, I think that is what the manual is referring to. basically it is alcohol based so tends to evaporate while in use.

I can't see a Gardner using any materials more exotic than modern vehicles so as long as the system is properly flushed I think you can use any reputable make or type. basically carry on with the pink but always flush well when you renew.

1 hour ago, GRLMK38 said:

These guys only offer one option which might narrow it down a bit for you.

https://gardnerspares.com/shop/uncategorised/exol-meg-antifreeze-20-litres-ready-to-use/

I did see this website and saw it uses MEG-type antifreeze.  This does seem to be the more favourable choice.

From all of the replies I see that there's no real definitive answer.  That's not discounting the advice, or course.  The suggestions I have been given are ones that I have already considered and then re-considered, changed my mind etc.etc.. My engine does have bright-blue rubber tubing which now is a factor in choosing a coolant.

I looked at a PDF written about antifreeze in classic MG engines and that wan't overly conclusive. You'd have thought that the answer would have been simple - determined my the engine-block and cooling system materials.

It is the (rust)inhibitor that is of most importance to me.