Bratch Locks - are pump out cards on sale?

Withywindle

Featured Posts

Can anyone tell me whether CRT still sells 'pump out cards' at the Bratch Locks on the Staffs Worcester? (I know there's no actual pump out facility there.)

I know they used to sell them 10 years ago because I was the seasonal lock keeper and had a stock of them along with CRT keys and a few other bits and pieces. 

I sent a note to CRT asking the same question but never got a reply.

59 minutes ago, Withywindle said:

Can anyone tell me whether CRT still sells 'pump out cards' at the Bratch Locks on the Staffs Worcester? (I know there's no actual pump out facility there.)

I know they used to sell them 10 years ago because I was the seasonal lock keeper and had a stock of them along with CRT keys and a few other bits and pieces. 

I sent a note to CRT asking the same question but never got a reply.

Did you send it on blue paper?

Did you see this page?    https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-services/where-to-buy-keys-cards-and-more

Edited by Tracy D'arth

On 13/04/2022 at 10:56, Tracy D'arth said:

Did you send it on blue paper?

Did you see this page?    https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-services/where-to-buy-keys-cards-and-more

The map doesn't show any of the placed in London that sell pump out cards!

5 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

The map doesn't show any of the placed in London that sell pump out cards!

Just as well because you will never get near to a pump out in London!  Don't shoot the messenger, its not my map.

The question was about buying at Bratch Lock, so the answer is no.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

Well I’ve sent two messages to CRT now on this subject and they’ve duly ignored them both. I have however found somewhere that does sell them on my way south - that’s Talbot Wharf on the Shroppie. So I’m sorted for now but will ask when I get to the Bratch next week. 

I had an idea a while back about how CRT should sell pump out cards, and that is they should put them on Amazon, but with Amazon handling all the fulfilment. That way boaters like us could order them ahead for collection at Amazon’s huge network of pick up points such as local Post Offices and other convenience stores. The current system of ordering them for delivery to your home address when you’re on the move is pretty much useless for most boaters I think. 

Most people I’ve mentioned the idea to think it would be a brilliant system, but getting CRT to agree would be an uphill battle that sadly I currently don’t have the time or inclination for right now.  

1 hour ago, Withywindle said:

Well I’ve sent two messages to CRT now on this subject and they’ve duly ignored them both. I have however found somewhere that does sell them on my way south - that’s Talbot Wharf on the Shroppie. So I’m sorted for now but will ask when I get to the Bratch next week. 

I had an idea a while back about how CRT should sell pump out cards, and that is they should put them on Amazon, but with Amazon handling all the fulfilment. That way boaters like us could order them ahead for collection at Amazon’s huge network of pick up points such as local Post Offices and other convenience stores. The current system of ordering them for delivery to your home address when you’re on the move is pretty much useless for most boaters I think. 

Most people I’ve mentioned the idea to think it would be a brilliant system, but getting CRT to agree would be an uphill battle that sadly I currently don’t have the time or inclination for right now.  

For those who don't know, Talbot Wharf is near bridge 62 at Market Drayton.

2 hours ago, Withywindle said:

As most problems seem to be with obtaining the cards and/or them being faulty it would be a lot easier if they were converted to tap and pay like pretty well every vending/ticket machine is now

Edited by Tim Lewis

35 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

As most problems seem to be with obtaining the cards and/or them being faulty it would be a lot easier if they were converted to tap and pay like pretty well every vending/ticket machine is now

But then CRT would lose all the credit that they get to keep when users lose their cards, cards fail to work, boat sold etc.

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

Indeed, totally agree, but that would also need Lee Sanitation who make the ‘kit’ to improve their machines, probably a bridge too far right now. 

2 hours ago, Withywindle said:

Indeed, totally agree, but that would also need Lee Sanitation who make the ‘kit’ to improve their machines, probably a bridge too far right now. 

I imagine you can buy tap and pay modules that are a direct replacement for other card readers, or which can easily be adapted to fit older equipment.

First two examples found by google:

https://www.gemini2k.com/emv-contactless-payments/

http://www.mingtetech.com/en/PRODUCTS/Unattended_Payment_Terminals/p76.html

Edited by David Mack

9 hours ago, Withywindle said:

I got a freebee at Wheaton Aston, the machine was on pause, it was also on pause when I finished

How did you send your messages to CRT? email, phone, facebook or instragram ?

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I got a freebee at Wheaton Aston, the machine was on pause, it was also on pause when I finished

How did you send your messages to CRT? email, phone, facebook or instragram ?

Funny enough the same thing nearly happened when I used the same machine at Wheaton Aston today but in my case it didn’t quite run for long enough and I had to use a card in the end! I pushed my luck a bit too far and gave the tank a good rinse, then suddenly the credit ran out. 

I sent my message using the ‘contact us’ form on the website. I got the usual acknowledgment screen, saying thank you for your enquiry and I would receive a reply within four working days, then nothing. I’m starting to wonder whether it’s being monitored. 

6 hours ago, Withywindle said:

I sent my message using the ‘contact us’ form on the website. I got the usual acknowledgment screen, saying thank you for your enquiry and I would receive a reply within four working days, then nothing. I’m starting to wonder whether it’s being monitored. 

I often wonder, but I have received responses from the area after reporting problems. I also asked for info on a stoppage that had been listed for 2 years and got an email from the area. Maybe a question when they dont know who to ask causes problems 

• 2 weeks later...

To answer my own original question. I’ve now been down to Stourport and I’m heading back. The Bratch no longer sell pump out cards but the lock keeper there, an excellent volunteer called Shelley,  told me all the volunteers are very keen to sell them and are putting pressure on CRT to make it happen. I later met my former CRT colleague who is also keen to get things going and as a first step is opening a shop at Stourport which will sell them and take contactless payments rather than cash. We discussed the ideas of adapting the machines and I think it will happen in time but in the meantime he’s doing all he can. Small steps, but sometimes, particularly with organisations like CRT this is better than no progress at all.