Time to spend some ‘well earned’

Featured Posts

Seems that our domestic batteries are giving up. Been on shore power for five months. Left those moorings nearly a fortnight ago.

Admittingly we haven’t run the engine today, we have 200w solar, very little going in from that, apart from the fridge and water pump everything is led and low power. Oh! And the 12v telly. Anyway the telly just told us we are on low power and will switch off shortly. So we switched it of, wouldn’t give the telly to dictate to me what happens.🤪 Looked at my Victron and the Dom batteries are down to less than 12v.

So, there we have it. Four new batteries asap please. We live onboard and purchased these whilst on the K&A, probably 2017/18, so we haven’t done badly.

Edited by Nightwatch

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Spot on in my opinion. Nice cheapies again, bin and replace in another four years or so. Disposable item, just like diesel.

No, no, no. @Nightwatch must spend a large fortune on Lithium batteries, new charging and balancing things. Forget Lead; time to move to the top left of the periodic table! 😀

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

No, no, no. @Nightwatch must spend a large fortune on Lithium batteries, new charging and balancing things. Forget Lead; time to move to the top left of the periodic table! 😀

Or those American six volt jobbies. You can name those individualy, take the million caps off and check the water level 8 times a day and tuck them up in bed each night :cheers:

• Haha 2

Always had 110ah batteries. Anyway, bought, to collect later, 4x 120ah Albion batteries. £103 each. A little more £ than 110ah but May! help inverter perform a little better. But I’m not too bothered. As advised, they are a consumable, but not like diesel, diesel is a liquid. These land lubbers have no idea.

Anyway, not ready yet to change a system that works perfectly well. Need much more time to consider. I could of course, dump the engine and go electric, but why?

Anyone got any spare muscles even if ‘she’ eats more weetabix these Bloomin things are a bit heavy.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Anyone got any spare muscles even if ‘she’ eats more weetabix these Bloomin things are a bit heavy.

@Alan de Enfield and I both have big truck batteries.  They are 230Ah and weigh about 55 kilogrammes (120 lbs) each.

On my boat to slide them into their tray there's literally a few millimetres of clearance at full arm stretch to rotate them through a right angle so they go in.  I don't move them very often, and I usually say some bad words while doing it!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

@Alan de Enfield and I both have big truck batteries.  They are 230Ah and weigh about 55 kilogrammes (120 lbs) each.

On my boat to slide them into their tray there's literally a few millimetres of clearance at full arm stretch to rotate them through a right angle so they go in.  I don't move them very often, and I usually say some bad words while doing it!

I gave up that sliding them along the engine room duck-boards and then trying to lift them over the edge of the battery box whilst lying / kneeling down.

In the end, its just easier to lift the cabin floor and lower them down.

6 x 55kg = over a third of a ton.

Two in the front of each engine and two in the centre.

CAM00305.jpg

CAM00307.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Anyway. Midland Chandlers took my money and don’t have any I stock. Spoke to Jim who has been there longer than I’ve been going in there, nice chap. Getting a refund for me. Result in a way but still got suspect battery bank.

ran the engine for two plus hours before we went out, just returned and the bank is still on 12.6 volts. Fridge on, and a couple of chargers. Fingers crossed eh?

Anyway, Jim is a believer in Lithium system. I would need just two lithium batteries to replace my four 110amphr batteries. I have solar controller and battery charger, both Victorinox, in addition would need a Victron Converter to regulate my existing alternator. All in all about £800 (maximum) more than the cost of four new lead acid batteries. Lithium batteries expected to last longer than 10 years and operate equipment more efficiently.

Anyone confirm what I have learnt of indeed contradict my newly gained knowledge?