Charges or fines ?

waterworks

Featured Posts

The great thing about the pre decimal system of 20 shillings x 12d in each was that 240d can be divided by

2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12,15,16, 20, 24, 30, 40, 48, 60, 80 and 120 giving a result of a whole number of pennies

100 new pence can only be divided by

2,4,5,10, 20, 25 and 50

eta: In another piece of useless information the Sumerians used sexagesimal or base 60 using two hands, again because it is an easily divisible number - by 2,3,4,5,6,10,12,15,20 and 30. You count up to 12 on one hand using the thumb to point at a finger joint, when you get to twelve you close a finger on the other hand. Modified versions of this base 60 are still in common use today in time and angle measurements

(I've not included the 1, 100, 240 or 60 as factors in these three systems, although strictly they are too)

Edited by BilgePump

19 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

(I've not included the 1, 100, 240 or 60 as factors in these three systems, although strictly they are too)

Point of Order...

I don't think 100 is a factor of 240.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Point of Order...

I don't think 100 is a factor of 240.

Okay, bad phrasing in the edit, before someone was pedantic about missing them off. Of course it's not a factor of 240, in the same way that 60 isn't a factor of 100. There were already way too many numbers in the post and thought it bleedin' obvious 😁

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Many small items like screws used to be packed by the gross or half-gross  before metrication. I still have several gross boxes of Nettlefolds woodscrews. Post-metrication they were usually packed in 200's or 100's. 

20220504_133346-1.jpg

OHH chunky brass screws!

Bod