11 minutes ago, Goliath said:

😂

just glad I didn’t have to deal with that stuff

..124?

No

I’m off

Not getting involved in this old person shit

Trying to do me noggin in

1L( £) = 20s (shillings) = 240d (not p) = LSD - no kidding. It made sense at the time.

I count myself lucky I was about 12 when we went decimal so understand both which really helps when talking measurements with Americans who can't deal with 50mm crank journals and insist they are really 1.968503937 inches. Bless.

Edited by Slow and Steady

35 minutes ago, Goliath said:

that’s bonkers 

So were there 144 to a £?

all based on egg counting 

pennies and farthings

mad as tricycles 

20 shillings to the pound

As there were 960 farthings to the pound, there was a serious proposal in mid-Victorian times to go decimal with the pound divided into 1000 'mils'. It would have meant that existing  coins of 6d  ( 25 mils) and above would not have had to have  been withdrawn, only the silver 3d and the bronze coins. That is why the 2/- piece (florin)  was introduced (originally marked "one tenth of a pound") and minting of half-crowns suspended. There was also a double florin (one fifth of a pound) to replace the Crown (5/- piece) . The idea was eventually dropped and the minting of half-crowns resumed, but the minting of florins continued, which is why we had two silver coins of similar value right up to decimalisation.

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Base 12 is better because it is divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6. Makes mental arithmetic FAR easier.

BAse 10 is only divisible by 1, 2 and 5.

Thankfully my secondary education was entirely in metric units and I have worked in metric units my entire career in construction.

Obviously I have had to deal with some imperial measures including decimal feet.

On the date of decimalisation of currency I would have been a month off my 12th birthday.

Oddy my boat engine , which was new in 2003, has a mix of metric and imperial fittings. We can thank the USA for the imperial bits.

8 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

As there were 960 farthings to the pound,

Remember we still had wartime rationing of chocolates and sweets until Feb 1953 so the late 50's and early 60's was a conucopia of delights for children.

As a child I regular bought sweets using Farthings - they actually remained legal tender until 1960

Don't forget the 'half-farthing' (1/8th of a penny) and the 4d piece (groat)

33 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I bet no one had clue what was going on.

Just plain weird.

I just about remember buying sweets with a little silver coin with lots of straight edges.

Was that a 6d piece or a silver 3d piece ?

One wonders if anyone has ever accidentally used a gold sovereign as a pound to buy a beer or something. 

What would the shop keeper say? Excuse me that's worth about £400 or thanks and have a nice day.

Face value £1.