DIN socket installation

Featured Posts

34 minutes ago, Adam Mc Gowan said:

Hi, can anyone advise on how to wire up these din sockets to 12 volt pos and neg cables? 

12V-waterproof-Hella-DIN-ISO-power-socket-with-rubber-cover-(panel-mount)[2].png

Identify which one is the 'centre' contact and that is the +, the other is the -

If it is not marked put your mutimeter onto 'ohms', put one probe inside the 'cylinder' touching the centre contact, put the other probe on one of the blade terminals, if the meter reads 0 that it the + , it it doesn't touch the other blade and that should show 0, and that one is the +

Not sure that these are actually DIN connectors, I used identcal ones and they are just flush-mount, non-screw cigarette lighter sockets.

These are the DIN spec connectors and are rated at 16 amps - the cheap ones you are showing (£1 ish on ebay) are just rated at 10 amps.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Identify which one is the 'centre' contact and that is the +, the other is the -

If it is not marked put your mutimeter onto 'ohms', put one probe inside the 'cylinder' touching the centre contact, put the other probe on one of the blade terminals, if the meter reads 0 that it the + , it it doesn't touch the other blade and that should show 0, and that one is the +

Not sure that these are actually DIN connectors, I used identcal ones and they are just flush-mount, non-screw cigarette lighter sockets.

These are the DIN spec connectors and are rated at 16 amps - the cheap ones you are showing (£1 ish on ebay) are just rated at 10 amps.

These maybe Panel Mounted DIN ISO 4165 / Hella Power Socket | 12 Volt Planet

One terminal is marked + on the divider between the spades

image.png.cd7fb61ee3de4148c11d4401bbe561ce.png

Edited by ditchcrawler

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

You are correct - they could be but they do look to be identical to the 'cheapy' ones I got from ebay for wiring in my Navigator-Plotter.

Irrespective, the method of 'wiring in' remains the same.

5 minutes ago, Adam Mc Gowan said:

thanks Alan, I don't have a multi meter but I believe I can borrow one. We're wiring up a new sailaway and connecting the pumps and sockets etc in the next few weeks. 

Just a question - which if you have not considered it, will mean you need to re-wire when you start to use the boat.

"Have you calculated the volt drop on each socket etc to ensure you are using the correct size of cable"

Many who do not understand the wiring up of boats buy the cable based on the current-rating, this is only a secondary consideration. You should aim for no more than 3% volt drop and less if possible.

What sized wires are you using and what length is the maximum cable run (both ways - battery to socket back to battery) and what is the planned maximum current that will be required on that run ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Hi Alan, we have calculated and allowed for volt drop along the 12 volt power outlet circuits. we expect to draw power from the 12 volt din outlets for laptops, small electrical items. We're using a variety of 2,4,6,10mm tinned cable. 

10 minutes ago, Adam Mc Gowan said:

Hi Alan, we have calculated and allowed for volt drop along the 12 volt power outlet circuits. we expect to draw power from the 12 volt din outlets for laptops, small electrical items. We're using a variety of 2,4,6,10mm tinned cable. 

As long as you have worked it all out - that's fine. Those that don't end up having to rip out all their wiring when finished and they find nothing works properly.