Recommendation for Engine Repair near Long Eaton/Kegworth area

Featured Posts

I have a Vetus two cylinder engine on my narrowboat which I would like a competent engineer to look at and deal with several underlying issues. (Also need fuel tank cleaning). Temporarily moored at Redhill Marina on lower River Soar. Any suggestions?

Taking MtB's advice, here are some details of my issues.

1. The boat is very very difficult to cold start - it seems that heater plugs are working. It has been suggested to me that this could be a fuel injection problem (although injectors had major overhaul last year). Could be connected to point 2. Once started, engine runs fine if a bit smokey.

2. A lot of rust particles collecting in fuel filter - presumably from tank. Tank needs cleaning. If some of these particles have got further down the line could this cause injection problem.

3. A lot of fluid is collecting in the bilge each day - seems to contain water with some fuel and possibly oil. No obvious leaks detectable to me other than possibly from calorifier but this would not explain volume or nature of fluid.

Any help on who might look at engine for me in Long Eaton / Kegworth area gratefully received.

1 hour ago, Kevin Taws said:

1. The boat is very very difficult to cold start - it seems that heater plugs are working. It has been suggested to me that this could be a fuel injection problem (although injectors had major overhaul last year). Could be connected to point 2. Once started, engine runs fine if a bit smokey.

Some Vetus engines have a fuse mounted high up on the engine, possibly under a plastic cover that may have blown. Measure the voltage between a glow plug connection and clean metal on the engine when heat is selected.

If you have difficulty starting the engine and exhaust will be full of un-burnt  fuel, I would expect it to smoke for a while until it has all been burned off.

The job of the filter is to remove small particles so I would expect some to be in the filter. Ideally there will be a water trap between engine and lift pump that may contain a strainer or filter, plus the engine filter. I doubt particles are causing the bad starting. setting up a siphon through the fuel filler to vacuum the bottom of the tank at least once a year maybe all that is needed to get rid of any water and the rust. Dark particles van also be from any fuel hoses but those don't feel sharp like dust and rust.