Wheelhouse build out of upvc

Joe rea

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Joe rea said:

Hello, 

I'm considering building a wheelhouse on my widebeam out of upvc .  Has anyone done one similar to this set up and have some pics and info etc

Thanks Joe        

Welcome to the forum..

Stand by for incoming from the 'purists'.

I think you would have to ensure the structural parts are not gong to soften when the sun is on it and consider the color, but it all depends upon what UPVC product you choose. Some are hollow and some have a foamed type interior so are more solid.  Can't help with the design though.

I suspect it may end up as timber structural parts with UVC cladding.

Edited by Tony Brooks

33 minutes ago, Joe rea said:

Hello, 

I'm considering building a wheelhouse on my widebeam out of upvc .  Has anyone done one similar to this set up and have some pics and info etc

Thanks Joe        

Is this a widebeam with a cruiser stern? If so a pram hood would probably be more practical and possibly not really any more expensive than a upvc construction. 

13 minutes ago, Goliath said:

The information will turn up. 
Ignore any piss takes 😃 

Not taking any, If its a budget job a ready made shed would be cheaper and faster. Not likely to be cruising through any tunnels or low bridges.

UPVC windows in boats look awful, the frames and casements are too wide. A wheelhouse in UPVC would be difficult to construct so that it all folds down anyway.

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think you would have to ensure the structural parts are not gong to soften when the sun is on it and consider the color, but it all depends upon what UPVC product you choose. Some are hollow and some have a foamed type interior so are more solid.  Can't help with the design though.

I suspect it may end up as timber structural parts with UVC cladding.

Yes with plastic windows you can have structural posts and the windows fit either side, or fit actual structural posts myself. As for the colour it's not going to be white 😅 I would like to stick to a material with less maintenance thanks for the advice. 

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Not taking any, If its a budget job a ready made shed would be cheaper and faster. Not likely to be cruising through any tunnels or low bridges.

UPVC windows in boats look awful, the frames and casements are too wide. A wheelhouse in UPVC would be difficult to construct so that it all folds down anyway.

It sounded like a piss take to me and I found it very funny. 

I was thinking that a dark color may well soften and sag in high summer. Even with a cream roof on out boat the roof could get uncomfortably hot and the dark green cabin sides even hotter. I think color wise you may be stuck between a rock and a hard place unless UPVC is stable at 50C plus.

Then what about the roof, I doubt tongue & groove or shiplap type areas will be waterproof unless it has very significant slope.

14 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Is this a widebeam with a cruiser stern? If so a pram hood would probably be more practical and possibly not really any more expensive than a upvc construction. 

Yes it is, I just feel the pram hoods are over priced for what they are, they're great for people who use the canals but for me I won't take the boat out. Its more of a floating apartment for me, so happy to have something solid and warmer.

1 minute ago, Joe rea said:

Yes it is, I just feel the pram hoods are over priced for what they are, they're great for people who use the canals but for me I won't take the boat out. Its more of a floating apartment for me, so happy to have something solid and warmer.

There you go, I was correct. He needs shed space not cruising.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I was thinking that a dark color may well soften and sag in high summer. Even with a cream roof on out boat the roof could get uncomfortably hot and the dark green cabin sides even hotter. I think color wise you may be stuck between a rock and a hard place unless UPVC is stable at 50C plus.

Then what about the roof, I doubt tongue & groove or shiplap type areas will be waterproof unless it has very significant slope.

I just came across this 

Screenshot_20220408-171655_YouTube.jpg

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

There you go, I was correct. He needs shed space not cruising.

There you go he's built one with plastic fold down windows 🪟 beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Plato

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Joe rea said:

There you go he's built one with plastic fold down windows 🪟 beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Plato

How do the rear quarters and the framework fold down? I can see that the casements fold down in the window frames but not anything else.

It's a canvas roof, metal frame, pvc windows, took 2 of them 5 hours over a weekend to remove and then of course you need somewhere to store it. Sooo... it's not something you'd do more than once a year. All that solid construction but a flimsy roof seems a bit half-arsed? Horses for courses I suppose.