Where to moor along the Bridgewater canal

narrowboatmike

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

This is wrong and has been superceded by what nightwatch said. 

Just search on the crt site for Bridgewater reciprocal agreement

Indeed. The CRT website has the booking details. But if you want to go on the Bridgewater Canal, shouldn't the Bridgewater Canal website be the place to look for the current requirements?

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Indeed. The CRT website has the booking details. But if you want to go on the Bridgewater Canal, shouldn't the Bridgewater Canal website be the place to look for the current requirements?

I'd go to whoever I pay my licence to... CRT in my case.

The crt information is dated April 2021 everything on the page you linked to seems to be 2014 or 2015... which would you think is the most current..... 

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

I'd go to whoever I pay my licence to... CRT in my case.

The crt information is dated April 2021 everything on the page you linked to seems to be 2014 or 2015... which would you think is the most current..... 

Well which websites would you look at to find licence information for the Warwickshire Avon, River Wey, Basingstoke Canal, Bristol Harbour... Not CRT for sure!

If the Bridgewater Canal Company wants us to book in advance, even for a short through transit, why doesn't their website say so?

There is a notice on a pole as you emerge from Preston Brook tunnel. It says that you are on a private waterway and may visit for seven days but cannot return for 28 days. It says that if you want to stay for more than seven days you need a temporary licence and gives a phone number to arrange it. 

There is nothing about having to pre-book. That was the situation on Wednesday.

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Well which websites would you look at to find licence information for the Warwickshire Avon, River Wey, Basingstoke Canal, Bristol Harbour... Not CRT for sure!

If the Bridgewater Canal Company wants us to book in advance, even for a short through transit, why doesn't their website say so?

We weren't taking about other canals but specifically  the crt Bridgewater reciprocal arrangement  ..   

Since the whole issue about the ' arrangement' was provoked by peels unilateral changing  of what had worked for decades (as far as I know) I'm not surprised they haven't updated their website.

I suspect they don't really care too much in reality ..

20 hours ago, jonathanA said:

I wouldn't bother ... especially if your on a one way trip. 

Whenever we are that way I often moor outside the Trafford Centre which pleases SWMBO but not the credit card...

We often end up there if on the Bridgewater as well

9 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Thank you. We plan, plans change, to ‘do it’ possibly end of April beginning of May. Or there abouts, perhaps maybe!

WE may see you then

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

When we ‘went north about six years ago there was an angry Peel Holdings employee who thought he was The father of Jesus and got aggressive at the drop of a hat towards CRT boats. I was looking forward to meeting him but didn’t. Is he still hiding in the bushes?

I have met him twice and on both occasions was as helpful as any waterway employee, a compleat gent in fact. but then I wasnt trying to stay there for a month with no licence or aggressive to him approaching me. 

5 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Looked at the booking arrangement for the Bridgewater. It says you have max 7 days outbound. Inbound (return) you have max 3 days. Also both directions have to be done within 28 days of the commencement of the outbound direction.

Not only but also, you can’t do the trip again for 28 days after completing inbound. We are planning to be North of the Bridgewater for a few month. Common sense tells me it won’t be a problem, but it is a peel Holdings we are dealing with.

Me no understandy. Please clever people try to explain. 

Book online on the usual CRT licence/bookings website the date you wish to go onto the Bridgewater Canal as a single journey.

You may then spend up to a maximum of seven days on the Bridgewater free of charge.  You don't need to book the number of days or tell them when you will be leaving the Bridgewater.

If you need to come back via the Bridgewater within 28 days of the day you first booked then just go back into the same booking (it stays active for four weeks on the website) and enter the first day of your return journey.  This is a maximum of three days on the Bridgewater.

If you don't book a return in the 28 day period your booking automatically closes itself.  Once it's closed you can then book another new journey as above.

It's really not a big issue, but the system won't allow you to book online for "today" so either book the day before or just ring CRT on the usual number. 

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Book online on the usual CRT licence/bookings website the date you wish to go onto the Bridgewater Canal as a single journey.

You may then spend up to a maximum of seven days on the Bridgewater free of charge.  You don't need to book the number of days or tell them when you will be leaving the Bridgewater.

If you need to come back via the Bridgewater within 28 days of the day you first booked then just go back into the same booking (it stays active for four weeks on the website) and enter the first day of your return journey.  This is a maximum of three days on the Bridgewater.

If you don't book a return in the 28 day period your booking automatically closes itself.  Once it's closed you can then book another new journey as above.

It's really not a big issue, but the system won't allow you to book online for "today" so either book the day before or just ring CRT on the usual number. 

:: Canal & River Trust Licensing (canalrivertrust.org.uk)

image.png.b08d8c484b3bbfc533eeda18266a52d4.png

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

You can do it that way if you have fixed dates, but if "boat time" changes your plans it's less aggro to only book the single journey then later go in and add a return trip when you know what day you need it.

Are you off to Liverpool that week Brian?  Say hello on your way past!

55 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You can do it that way if you have fixed dates, but if "boat time" changes your plans it's less aggro to only book the single journey then later go in and add a return trip when you know what day you need it.

Are you off to Liverpool that week Brian?  Say hello on your way past!

No only a slow swany round the Bridgewater

Many thanks for everyone's information and suggestions. After we left castlefeild at about 12. 30 pm 

we just trundled on until we reached a place that was just right especially as it was 6 pm.

This happened to be a lovely place just before Plank lane swing bridge. We're on our way to Lancaster

but have some time before our crossing at the end of the month. I just booked the Ribble crossing 

the same way as the Bridgewater but not sure how it's 'policed'.

1 hour ago, Pie Eater said:

Expect a delay at Wigan as the Poolstock pound is empty every morning. This morning the bottom lock had 3 of the 4 gates wide open.

Thanks pie eater. We should be going through Wigan at about 12.30 -1 pm Monday, hopefully We'll get through.

6 hours ago, narrowboatmike said:

Many thanks for everyone's information and suggestions. After we left castlefeild at about 12. 30 pm 

we just trundled on until we reached a place that was just right especially as it was 6 pm.

This happened to be a lovely place just before Plank lane swing bridge. We're on our way to Lancaster

but have some time before our crossing at the end of the month. I just booked the Ribble crossing 

The Ribble crossing is a much more managed event. Tarleton Lock will be manned and you will be despatched when staff deem it right for the tides and rivers - it is a complicated navigation, going down stream at first and then up stream, with tide having its own say on the matter.

At the Ribble/Preston end it is also managed and you are likely to be held on the pontoon after the rotating lock to ensure necessary headroom. I also recall that the final locks are also managed as they are not straightforward.

The river transit is also monitored in case you end up having to divert overnight to Preston.

At least that has been my experience but it is a few years ago now. Might get there again this year . . . 

• Greenie 2

7 hours ago, narrowboatmike said:

I hope CRT sent you this.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/30977-ribble-link-skippers-guide.pdf

10 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

The Ribble crossing is a much more managed event. Tarleton Lock will be manned and you will be despatched when staff deem it right for the tides and rivers - it is a complicated navigation, going down stream at first and then up stream, with tide having its own say on the matter.

At the Ribble/Preston end it is also managed and you are likely to be held on the pontoon after the rotating lock to ensure necessary headroom. I also recall that the final locks are also managed as they are not straightforward.

The river transit is also monitored in case you end up having to divert overnight to Preston.

At least that has been my experience but it is a few years ago now. Might get there again this year . . . 

Thanks Mike, I've seen a number of vids and written info so looking forward to the adventure however

I'm getting a tow across the Ribble by Jim, where and  unhook as we past the entrance to the Savick Brook.

5 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thanks Scholar Gypsy, I'll refresh my brain with the info over the next 3 weeks, we cross on the 29th 

of April.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, narrowboatmike said:

Thanks Mike, I've seen a number of vids and written info so looking forward to the adventure however

We are featured on the Foxes Afloat 'Swept Away on the Ribble Link' video.  We were following them out of Savick Brook when they misjudged the strength of the incoming tide.

It's a wonderful experience and nothing like all those sensationalistic Vloggers make out. I've had far more scary times on the Tidal Trent. Enjoy the Lancaster Canal, it's wonderful and we wish we'd have stayed on it longer than the 3 weeks we did. And don't miss out on popping down to Glasson Basin, it's well worth doing the 6 locks each way.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

We are featured on the Foxes Afloat 'Swept Away on the Ribble Link' video.  We were following them out of Savick Brook when they misjudged the strength of the incoming tide.

It's a wonderful experience and nothing like all those sensationalistic Vloggers make out. I've had far more scary times on the Tidal Trent. Enjoy the Lancaster Canal, it's wonderful and we wish we'd have stayed on it longer than the 3 weeks we did. And don't miss out on popping down to Glasson Basin, it's well worth doing the 6 locks each way.

An opportunity to plug a new group - Trentlink - that is offering advice and trying to organise some boat buddying on the tidal Trent. 

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/666937220961360  (private group, but joining is easy)

3 hours ago, Grassman said:

That's reassuring grassman, thanks. I have family and friends in Lancaster so will be 

there for some time.

On 08/04/2022 at 07:36, Grassman said:

In the unlikely event that you can't get in at Worsley, there is ample room to moor in the half mile stretch between the lighthouse and the marina. You will need to use mooring pins and perhaps a little walk back for a pub/shops etc but at least it gives you a plan B if needed.

Irrelevant to the OP now but the lighthouse is before Worsley surely?