Where to moor along the Bridgewater canal

narrowboatmike

Featured Posts

Hi, we're travelling to Lancaster via the bridgewater canal  and will be coming 

down the Rochdale 9 tomorrow morning starting at 9 ish. Any suggestions where

we can moor up along the Bridgewater about 3, 4 or 5 pm that same day , 

thanks Mike and Melanie

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

5 pm you could be off the Bridgewater and beyond Leigh on the L&L!

Worsley or Boothstown might be more sensible targets though.

Are there towpath side moorings at both these places. We did think about Worsley

but unsure about moorings there, thanks for you suggestions.

2 minutes ago, narrowboatmike said:

Are there towpath side moorings at both these places. We did think about Worsley

but unsure about moorings there, thanks for you suggestions.

Yes, good moorings near average pubs.

Also see my added bit:

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Have you already booked onto the Bridgewater for tomorrow?  You can't do it online on the day, only by phone.

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:
3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Have you already booked onto the Bridgewater for tomorrow?  You can't do it online on the day, only by phone.

I wouldn't bother ... especially if your on a one way trip. 

Whenever we are that way I often moor outside the Trafford Centre which pleases SWMBO but not the credit card...

Edited by jonathanA
Sp
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, jonathanA said:

I wouldn't bother ... especially if your on a one way trip. 

Nah, Sonny is getting keener on it.

Too many CRT boaters ignoring the booking system and Peel will withdraw the reciprocal agreement.

I really do want to be allowed to cross the Bridgewater to get to the Rochdale or the T&M from Wigan. 

It's a very long way round via Leeds ...

It annoys me, just not as much as the only alternative would! 

The booking system really isn't that much of an issue, but ignoring it will stack up major problems for the future.

• Greenie 2

In the unlikely event that you can't get in at Worsley, there is ample room to moor in the half mile stretch between the lighthouse and the marina. You will need to use mooring pins and perhaps a little walk back for a pub/shops etc but at least it gives you a plan B if needed.

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Being slow on the uptake, May I ask, are you all saying that passage along the Bridgewater?

More words please ...

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Being slow on the uptake, May I ask, are you all saying that passage along the Bridgewater has to pre booked?

Yes, for a couple of years now.

It's free, but needs to be booked.

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

More words please ...

Yes, for a couple of years now.

It's free, but needs to be booked.

Thank you. We plan, plans change, to ‘do it’ possibly end of April beginning of May. Or there abouts, perhaps maybe!

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Whilst I know Peel are a law unto themselves is there any legislative basis to the reciprocal arrangements or is it grace and favour? Its been around a long time, at least sixty years. 

I asked that question when Peel first proposed changing the rules. But I never got an answer.

Just to confirm I’m a nugget. Looked at the booking arrangement for the Bridgewater. It says you have max 7 days outbound. Inbound (return) you have max 3 days. Also both directions have to be done within 28 days of the commencement of the outbound direction.

Not only but also, you can’t do the trip again for 28 days after completing inbound. We are planning to be North of the Bridgewater for a few month. Common sense tells me it won’t be a problem, but it is a peel Holdings we are dealing with.

Me no understandy. Please clever people try to explain. 

When we ‘went north about six years ago there was an angry Peel Holdings employee who thought he was The father of Jesus and got aggressive at the drop of a hat towards CRT boats. I was looking forward to meeting him but didn’t. Is he still hiding in the bushes?

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Being slow on the uptake, May I ask, are you all saying that passage along the Bridgewater has to pre booked?

The Bridgewater Canal website doesn't actually say that:

Information for Canal & River Trust Licence Holders visiting the Bridgewater Canal

All C&RT craft are subject to the terms and conditions of the Bridgewater Canal whilst they remain on our waterway.

C&RT licence holders may remain on the Bridgewater Canal for periods not exceeding seven consecutive days.

C&RT craft wishing to extend beyond the 7 day reciprocal arrangement period must obtain a temporary short term Bridgewater Canal Licence at a cost of £40 for 7 consecutive days. If you wish to obtain a temporary short term Bridgewater Canal licence please contact the Bridgewater Canal Company on telephone 0161 629 8266.

When contacting the company, we will require the following information:

Boat Index Number

Boat Name

Your name and address

Insurance details

BSS details

Date you wish the licence to commence

Debit card details

From http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/licensing

39 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The Bridgewater Canal website doesn't actually say that:

Information for Canal & River Trust Licence Holders visiting the Bridgewater Canal

All C&RT craft are subject to the terms and conditions of the Bridgewater Canal whilst they remain on our waterway.

C&RT licence holders may remain on the Bridgewater Canal for periods not exceeding seven consecutive days.

C&RT craft wishing to extend beyond the 7 day reciprocal arrangement period must obtain a temporary short term Bridgewater Canal Licence at a cost of £40 for 7 consecutive days. If you wish to obtain a temporary short term Bridgewater Canal licence please contact the Bridgewater Canal Company on telephone 0161 629 8266.

When contacting the company, we will require the following information:

Boat Index Number

Boat Name

Your name and address

Insurance details

BSS details

Date you wish the licence to commence

Debit card details

From http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/licensing

This is wrong and has been superceded by what nightwatch said. 

Just search on the crt site for Bridgewater reciprocal agreement

40 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

When we ‘went north about six years ago there was an angry Peel Holdings employee who thought he was The father of Jesus and got aggressive at the drop of a hat towards CRT boats. I was looking forward to meeting him but didn’t. Is he still hiding in the bushes?

According to others on here sonny is still about. I have to say I've never had the pleasure and always thought his chances of getting 40 quid off me when we had two large aggressive dogs would be slim. I'd have to rely on an aggressive wife now ...

I think he'd have had more chance with the dogs...

Edited by jonathanA
  • Haha 1