water pump sudden noise

EllaGlssp

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, EllaGlssp said:

water pump has v suddenly started making a constant, loud hum, like a muffled drilling type noise. water is running but at lower pressure than normal. has something got clogged in the system? it’s just weird how sudden it was 

What make of pump is it?

Does it have a filter on the inlet side?

22 minutes ago, EllaGlssp said:

water pump has v suddenly started making a constant, loud hum, like a muffled drilling type noise. water is running but at lower pressure than normal. has something got clogged in the system? it’s just weird how sudden it was 

Which water pump? 

On the engine cooling system? Or the one supplying domestic water? Or the shower waste pump?

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

Which water pump? 

On the engine cooling system? Or the one supplying domestic water? Or the shower waste pump?

Come off it Mike.

Why do you hamper discussion with these rather silly pointless questions?

7 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Come off it Mike.

Why do you hamper discussion with these rather silly pointless questions?

But is it pointless?

If someone has left a shower pump running,  or the sump box type has a failed level switch that noise is exactly what I would expect. It would not be the first time a newish boater has misidentified such things. If it is the domestic water pump I go with check for a blocked inlet but perhaps check the battery and pump voltage first.

25 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But is it pointless?

If someone has left a shower pump running,  or the sump box type has a failed level switch that noise is exactly what I would expect. It would not be the first time a newish boater has misidentified such things. If it is the domestic water pump I go with check for a blocked inlet but perhaps check the battery and pump voltage first.

Engine water pump?

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Engine water pump?

I agree that one is extremely unlikely but believe it or not there have been a few cases of people using an electric engine water pump. Then there are central heating pumps and compressor fridges, both of which could make a "low hum".

Another possibility I've seen. If the house batteries are nearly flat, the pump won't be able to build up enough pressure to trip its shut off switch. It will then carry on with a dull hum noise and not stop. Flow from the taps will be slow. Does the OP know if the batteries are OK? Are they charged?

Jen

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I agree that one is extremely unlikely but believe it or not there have been a few cases of people using an electric engine water pump. Then there are central heating pumps and compressor fridges, both of which could make a "low hum".

But the OP is talking about water running at a reduced flow rate which must rule those out, certainly a fridge.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

but not a flat battery.

Indeed. I havent suggested other wise though. In fact I agreed with Jen's suggestion as a possibility.

Also the Flojet in our caravan sometimes makes a similar sounding noise when we run out of water but the OP is still seeing water flowing.