Pump Seal Change

Ocean30

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Ocean30 said:

It was a refurbished pump by Calcutt. I guess there’s no harm in sticking it in if I can get one? I’ve literally run out of reasons as to why this has happened. Keeps happening! 

No harm at all but I have doubts that you will get one. Best of luck.

I know I keep going on but……

I stuck my finger in the master spline shaft hole and found considerable forward and aft movement where the tip of the diesel pump locates. Further more it looked like it wasn’t sitting central. As I rotated the engine it would become tighter before becoming slack again. My hunch is it’s so worn it’s been rattling the life out of the master spline shaft in the diesel pump causing the seals to go. Given that I’ve gone through a couple of pumps this can be the only part left that would be causing it having replaced the lift pump twice. I’m going to have the timing chain cover off for a proper inspection before I do anything else. Feeling a bit more confident that mil might be on the home straight. 

9 minutes ago, Ocean30 said:

I know I keep going on but……

I stuck my finger in the master spline shaft hole and found considerable forward and aft movement where the tip of the diesel pump locates. Further more it looked like it wasn’t sitting central. As I rotated the engine it would become tighter before becoming slack again. My hunch is it’s so worn it’s been rattling the life out of the master spline shaft in the diesel pump causing the seals to go. Given that I’ve gone through a couple of pumps this can be the only part left that would be causing it having replaced the lift pump twice. I’m going to have the timing chain cover off for a proper inspection before I do anything else. Feeling a bit more confident that mil might be on the home straight. 

You could well be on to something there.

The sprocket for the pump is only held at one side with a bearing.

Get new chain, tensioner and slipper  along with front crank oil seal and cover gasket whilst you are in there.

Chain and tensioner on 1.8D is a weak point, the chain is really too long and tends to thrash at tick over.

If you find you need sprockets, crank and cam are the same as 1.8 petrol MGB engine. Pump sprocket is diesel engine only.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

Thanks Tracy

i think I’ll definitely need both the part that the pump mounts on to as well as the diesel timing cog. I’m guessing both parts will where out together?  I’ll service behind there as well.  Looks like I’ll be missing the enjoyment of boating for a while 😢

I thought this was a 1.5, not a 1.8. If I am correct, and I may well not be, the symptom above sounds more like a worn skew gear and that probably involves the drive shaft and cam shaft, plus the bush the drive shaft slots into at the engine end. If it is a 1.5 then listen to Tracy.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel I’ve gone full circle all the way back to the pump. 

I had a good discussion with a local diesel pump refurbisher who when overhauling the bmc pumps replaces the bushing in which the main drive shaft sits. He has such good knowledge of the pumps. We looked at the newly refurbished pump from Calcutt and agreed that the o ring had gone on the guide dog causing diesel to leak through the centre of the shaft. 

I thought I would have a look at what had happened out of curiosity to the refurbed pump, I had assumed that the o ring would have been replaced. Well I was wrong. Obviously got missed. Found a brittle perished o ring that I’ve now replaced. Probably missed on the overhaul. Chuffed that I found it. 

so I’m back to another pump being fitted and hoping that the case can now be closed. Now where have I said that before…..😳😂

C4B8BA7D-D25F-4AB7-9D37-73CA3A2BEE19.jpeg