BBC1 TV. Settling Down: A believers guide

PD1964

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If their boat sinks, they can just walk away across the water. 😀

They will not be alone :

The stunt was filmed for his new television show, Dynamo: Magician Impossible, which starts on 7 July on Watch.

A spokesman said photographs of the extraordinary feat were not faked.

The new series will show him performing a variety of tricks, including transporting a mobile phone into a glass beer bottle, bringing a flutter of paper butterflies to life and transforming snow into diamonds.

Magician Dynamo

He even had a couple of canoes pass 'either side' of him

8 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

I thought religious discussion was banned from here, yet it seems Ok to ridicule those who have a faith. A faith which might be the only thing left for them.

The actual wording is "content which makes commentary on religious matters is banned". Mentioning or explaining the content of a T.V. programme is helpful to other members and does not constitute "commenting". 

40 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

I thought religious discussion was banned from here, yet it seems Ok to ridicule those who have a faith. A faith which might be the only thing left for them.

I mentioned it as thought it may show a little more about their relationship on the boat and living in London, but unfortunately didn’t show much apart from them moving it for the first time with one falling in and the state of boats on the canal. The thing I found interesting though was they were young and it never mentioned or showed what they did for a living to fund everything.

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

The actual wording is "content which makes commentary on religious matters is banned". Mentioning or explaining the content of a T.V. programme is helpful to other members and does not constitute "commenting". 

But The Happy Nomad's comment is definitely commenting on religious matters.  He and others have said similar things on these forums several times without repercussions.  I'm not religious and have no objections to the comments, just saying.

Im happy for the comment to be removed.

However I fully stand by it.

To explain why would however get into a discussion about the whys and wherefores of religion.

I, and many others remember a man of beliefs gave up the church and bought and fitted out two boats and operated them as hotel boats. It didn’t go too well for him.

I wonder what happened to the boats!!😇

6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I, and many others remember a man of beliefs gave up the church and bought and fitted out two boats and operated them as hotel boats. It didn’t go too well for him.

I wonder what happened to the boats!!😇

I remember reading about that in the press and I think it has been mentioned on here and what I remember he wasn’t a pleasant man and rather a bully of a person. There may of been more then one 😈

12 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I remember reading about that in the press and I think it has been mentioned on here and what I remember he wasn’t a pleasant man and rather a bully of a person. There may of been more then one 😈

You’re spot on with your comments. There was only one.

5 hours ago, Athy said:

Your comment does not specifically mention any religion, though I can see that it could be interpreted in that way. 

I wish this (and other forums) were like it still is on the cut. A place where people don't judge each other based on their life story.

Then again I just made a judgement, so I'm a hypocrite. (Sorry to edit your post Athy, but it seemed appropriate at the time). 😉

Edited by Athy

5 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

(Sorry to edit your post Athy, but it seemed appropriate at the time). 😉

So am I, but don't worry, I've restored it. Atheism (correct spelling, please note) is by definition a complete absence of religion, so the comment as edited by you would have been nonsensical. As far as I understand it, discussing atheism would not break the forum's rules, though surely there isn't much to discuss:

"Is there a God?"

"No".

"Oh, right then".

I don't get your bit about people on here being judged according to their life story. Many members do not personally know each other and are therefore unaware of others' life stories. So I don't think that most of us here can do that.

20 hours ago, Athy said:

So am I, but don't worry, I've restored it. Atheism (correct spelling, please note) is by definition a complete absence of religion, so the comment as edited by you would have been nonsensical. As far as I understand it, discussing atheism would not break the forum's rules, though surely there isn't much to discuss:

"Is there a God?"

"No".

"Oh, right then".

I don't get your bit about people on here being judged according to their life story. Many members do not personally know each other and are therefore unaware of others' life stories. So I don't think that most of us here can do that.

I had always understood that properly used, 'atheism' indicated a positive belief that there is no God (or gods) whilst a disinterested position is known as 'agnostic' ie a person who knows that she/he does not know whether there is or is not a God and, for the most part, is not concerned about  the answer (and may not even have thought much about it!)

If you accept these definitions then atheism is as much as belief system as theism.

Sometimes it is important to differentiate between a belief system an a religion, especially organised religion. The former is a philosophical construct whilst the latter is  social structure. Many of the historical (and current) problems which some elements of thread have alluded to arise from organised religion rather than a belief system. Sadly, too often adherents to a religion become obsessed with elements that do not properly belong to the associated belief system. 

• Greenie 1

Yes, Mike, I would call atheism a philosophy, not a religion. Hence it can be discussed within our rules (which are what I'm striving to apply, regardless of any personal views), as we don't have a rule against discussing philosophy.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, Mike, I would call atheism a philosophy, not a religion. Hence it can be discussed within our rules (which are what I'm striving to apply, regardless of any personal views), as we don't have a rule against discussing philosophy.

I don't especially disagree but:

What is a philosophy and what is a belief system? (as I said, I do not really think that atheism - or theism - is itself a religion) In reality there is a spectrum and that is what such as forum rules has to cope with, even though it is rarely an issue here. I think that your objective, whilst worthy, is inevitably flawed.