narrowboatmike

Featured Posts

Hi, we're presently sailing down the Rochdale from Littleborough

to Lancaster and need to empty our cassette loos before or in Manchester

but can't seem to spot any on the crt map. Have I missed them and if so 

would someone kindly point me in the right direction, 

thankyou, Mike and Melanie

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Sanitary Station at Littleborough, just above the town, then nothing. May be facilities at New Islington Marina but not sure if they are available to passing boats, or just for moorers.

Thanks David,

I used the Littleborough one but then underestimated due to 

friend helping with the journey and extra deposits. Will checkout 

New Islington Marina via phone and cut down on the fibre in the meantime,

Mike

There are no services on that end of the Rochdale, probably because its a place to dash through rather than stopping.  There are services in New Islington but it looks like the new owners have it rammed full of boats so the services will likely have moored boats.

There is possibly water from the friendly people in the lock house at the top of the Slattocks flight (unless it has changed hands).

If New islington is not available then its down the Rochdale 9 and on to the Bridgewater. There is a service block in Castlefield but not sure if its open/available to passing boats. If you turn left at the Junction of the arm into Manchester then there are good services at a chandlery just a few hundred yards down so only a short detour.

I’ would be pretty sure the services at New Islington will be accessible still, they were very easy with no boats mored by them last June. We didn’t need the Elsan, but people will hopefully be able to open any locked doors, someone showed us how nice the shower block was! 

Google image shows it’s clear there, though not sure how recent it is. The marina part definitely looks more rammed than June. AC9DB437-F7C9-414A-BC86-E6306569AE39.png.6c263d57a3600a4333882b1a0fa3e2ce.png

9 hours ago, dmr said:

There are no services on that end of the Rochdale, probably because its a place to dash through rather than stopping.  There are services in New Islington but it looks like the new owners have it rammed full of boats so the services will likely have moored boats.

There is possibly water from the friendly people in the lock house at the top of the Slattocks flight (unless it has changed hands).

If New islington is not available then its down the Rochdale 9 and on to the Bridgewater. There is a service block in Castlefield but not sure if its open/available to passing boats. If you turn left at the Junction of the arm into Manchester then there are good services at a chandlery just a few hundred yards down so only a short detour.

Thanks Vox.

6 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

I’ would be pretty sure the services at New Islington will be accessible still, they were very easy with no boats mored by them last June. We didn’t need the Elsan, but people will hopefully be able to open any locked doors, someone showed us how nice the shower block was! 

Google image shows it’s clear there, though not sure how recent it is. The marina part definitely looks more rammed than June. AC9DB437-F7C9-414A-BC86-E6306569AE39.png.6c263d57a3600a4333882b1a0fa3e2ce.png

Thanks Shroudwater1.

6 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

But things in New Islington have changed since then. The New owners are charging £25 per night for the non secure casual moorings and despite this are somehow  managing to atract a lot of boats. We spent a night there in October and it was rammed. A friend could not get in there a week ago. However for a cassette job it should be possible to moor outside and walk to the services.

unfortunately I'm too regular, don't fancy planning my dumps around loo spots.

We have 2 cassettes and a 22 litre toilet come bucket thing of which we'll start on tomorrow.

Better cut back on the cabbage and mash.

31 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Or buy a spare cassette, and have a double dump at a convenient Elsan point.

2 hours ago, narrowboatmike said:

we're now happily moored at New Islington marina for the night, nice friendly staff and

great facilities and empty cassettes of course, thanks for everyone's suggestions

Have they approached you for money? have you gone to the office to pay?

We managed to avoid payment by hiding in the pub all afternoon and evening, cost more than £25 but more fun 😀

• Haha 1

On 05/04/2022 at 21:22, narrowboatmike said:

Hi, we're presently sailing down the Rochdale from Littleborough

to Lancaster and need to empty our cassette loos before or in Manchester

but can't seem to spot any on the crt map. Have I missed them and if so 

would someone kindly point me in the right direction, 

thankyou, Mike and Melanie

Ridiculous init. Even up in space orbitting the Earth there is a Sky-Lav.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

Ridiculous init. Even up in space orbitting the Earth there is a Sky-Lav.

Well we ddn't find one because they don't exist, which is really surprising given the distance.

We ended up staying at new Islington marina for the night and emptied out there and also on the leeds to liverpool.

Worth having a 22 quid poo bucket with lid, more room than the cassette at 110 quid.

On 06/04/2022 at 21:03, bizzard said:

If I had the trots I might think about wearing a nappy you know, between toilets and sanny stations. My mum used to tear up old bed sheets to make our nappies. :)

Sound like a wise women. I use our sheets for cleaning the cooker and boat when I 

need something to do, the only difference is the sheets are not old , my wife keeps asking me where are all the sheets.

I quote back to her ' only one sheet' in a strange accent. Of course I have by this point had a glass or two.