DEPOSITS & NAME CHANGES

Bream1

Featured Posts

After many years of careful planning and research we are finally ready both financially and practically for a life on the cut. Could anyone tell me though about the following.

If a boat is listed with DEPOSIT TAKEN sign on the side of the picture does this mean it is definitely been SOLD??

When the boat is out of the water during the process of purchase (survey) can we change it's name then and what is the approximate cost of that? 

I would appreciate any feedback to the above questions and thank you all so much in advance. 

Have a nice week too. 

With a name change all you need do is inform EA / CRT whichever the boat is licensed to - no charge.

Do it when you inform whoever, you are the new owner.

CRT register the boat by its number, not sure about the EA.

Only cost, sign writer, vinyl stickers whatever you choose.

Edited by Ray T

1 minute ago, Bream1 said:

Thanks Ray yet despite looking through google I cannot find any prices for these sign writing services! IT is very annoying I merely wish to know an approximate cost! 

It cost us £500 to have our boat signwritten, well it will do when he sends me the invoice! If the boat needs an existing name covering up, that will cost more but I can't help with that.

10 minutes ago, Bream1 said:

Thanks Ray yet despite looking through google I cannot find any prices for these sign writing services! IT is very annoying I merely wish to know an approximate cost! 

Where will your boat be based?

Boat painters work on a one-to-one basis with the client rather than give a "blanket" cost. 

Dave Moore of this parish is a brilliant sign writer, he is based in Dudley.

He won't do frogs in champagne glasses however!

There is also Phil Speight, Terence Edgar plus lots of others:

Canal boat painters & canal boat sign writers (canaljunction.com)

Edited by Ray T

24 minutes ago, Bream1 said:

After many years of careful planning and research we are finally ready both financially and practically for a life on the cut. Could anyone tell me though about the following.

If a boat is listed with DEPOSIT TAKEN sign on the side of the picture does this mean it is definitely been SOLD??

When the boat is out of the water during the process of purchase (survey) can we change it's name then and what is the approximate cost of that? 

I would appreciate any feedback to the above questions and thank you all so much in advance. 

Have a nice week too. 

It usually just means exactly that. A potential buyer has paid a deposit and is likely now waiting for a survey.

It's still possible that the sale may not go through but you need to be wary of a boat where the sale doesn't complete as it could be something to do with the survey (a bit like a house).

If that happens you need to be very curious about why.

Thanks for the heads up Ray. As has been said, every job is individually priced. Bear in mind that if the name is changed, then the old name , if signwritten, will need to be removed. This usually involves repainting the panel it sits in, any attempt to simply paint over existing work will result in it showing through under the new paint. I’ve had this conversation so many times over the years with new owners.

42 minutes ago, PCSB said:

It cost us £500 to have our boat signwritten, well it will do when he sends me the invoice! If the boat needs an existing name covering up, that will cost more but I can't help with that.

Me too. Name and simple line drawing of Puffer both sides

You say have it renamed while out for survey. 3 points

1 when its being surveyed you don't own the boat to rename it. CRT will only let the registered licence holder do that.

2 its not your boat to rename, I doubt the owner will let you do it until you own it

3 Its unlikely that the sign writer would have time to do it whilst in the dry dock after the survey is complete

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or About £20 for vinyl name boat  'stickers' on Ebay

I do like a bit of sign writing, even an amateur’s cack-handed attempts at painting can be preferable to stickers 😃

Is it still felt to be bad luck renaming a boat unless it’s out of water?

Edited by Goliath

2 hours ago, dave moore said:

Thanks for the heads up Ray. As has been said, every job is individually priced. Bear in mind that if the name is changed, then the old name , if signwritten, will need to be removed. This usually involves repainting the panel it sits in, any attempt to simply paint over existing work will result in it showing through under the new paint. I’ve had this conversation so many times over the years with new owners.

But it may depend on the new owners' plans: if the boat is bought on the basis of a repaint in a year or two, they might be ready to live with just a vinyl sticker until the new name can be included in the update.

Personally I have had my fill of sign writing. The paint is very soft compared with the main paint so as you polish over the years part rubs away until it looks scruffy. Then unless you want it show through you have to sand all the remains away. That will probably mean at least a partial repaint. With vinyl it is just a heat gun/hair dryer to soften the glue and pull the vinyl letters off. Then dissolve the glue and remove it. Apart from a lack of paint fade under the old letters it is far easier to deal with.

3 hours ago, Bream1 said:

Have a nice week too. 

Yes even if a boat is listed as under offer consider it sold. There’s no gazumping in general thank goodness. A sale can fall through when under offer but it’s fairly rare to happen.
As stated quizz the seller/ broker as to why it fell through. There are genuine reasons- I know of one where the offer became subject to discount on mooring fees this that and the other in the boat  so the broker told them to discount off. 

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

When buying a boat there is a list of at least 100 items that need to be dealt with, usually involving spending money. Putting the new name on the side is about no.98.

so what’s the 99th and 100th job/item 😃?

Whats lowest on the list?

Edited by Goliath

A poster in another thread mentioned that his boat had been stolen snd repainted, but had been retrieved. A painted name would be more difficult to eradicate than a sheet of vinyl  that could be simply be pulled off, although I guess you could paint one yourself and stick the vinyl on top. . 

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I think I could be frightened in to it. 

Like the launching of a boat: if that Champagne bottle don’t bust your doomed !

I went to the "launch" of a new share boat once. It was already in the water, and the event was it being taken out by some of the owners for the first time.

The owners in question carefully opened the bottle to spray a little champagne over the fore end, then carefully put the bottle to one side for later more productive use. 

16 minutes ago, alias said:

I went to the "launch" of a new share boat once. It was already in the water, and the event was it being taken out by some of the owners for the first time.

The owners in question carefully opened the bottle to spray a little champagne over the fore end, then carefully put the bottle to one side for later more productive use. 

Nowt weirder than folk. 

43 minutes ago, Goliath said:

But don’t the vinyl letters leave a stencilled fade mark when you remove them?

Yes but it won't need rubbing back to close to bare steel to avoid the old name showing through. I also think a few minutes with rubbing compound will bring the faded part back to close to matching the unfaded part.