Swan at Fradley 1 star hygiene rating

PaulD

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

I've been advised several times by a variety of people over the past decade or so not to order food in The Swan, due to hygiene issues.

Mouse poo and 'rat activity' uncovered at foodie canalside pub with terrible hygiene rating - Stoke-on-Trent Live (stokesentinel.co.uk)

Having had a previous career some of which related to environmental health issues, a one star rating was usually for somewhere really filthy and with far more transgressions of good hygiene practice than has been reported here.

I ate there a couple of weeks ago and as usual I made a point of having a quick look in the kitchen as the staff came in and out. I can normally get a fair idea just from that, and it certainly didn’t look nearly as bad as the other 1* places I’ve come across.

The report mentioned ‘old’ mice droppings behind the freezer but no mention of fresh signs of a current infestation. The EHO’s comments about proofing work needed is a valid one but given that it is an old building and mice can get through gaps/holes the width of a pencil, it’s very hard to completely stop them getting in. Also this freezer wasn’t even in the kitchen, but an outbuilding.

It indicates to me that this was on old infestation for which they’d dealt with, probably with their pest control contract, but yes they should have cleaned up behind the freezer afterwards though, and further proofing work should indeed be done.

As for the rat problem outside, the environment there is so perfect for them that they will always be present and I saw that they did have a form of control in place. Probably where they fell down was by lacking in ‘good practice’ with managing their waste.

There were obviously issues such as cross contamination and probably poor record keeping, but I think based on what I know of the place, a 1* rating is extremely harsh and probably a 3* would be more fitting.

I never eat at any place with less than 3 stars but I’d eat there again next time I’m passing, especially as my steak and ale pie was so delicious the other week!

11 hours ago, MtB said:

I've been advised several times by a variety of people over the past decade or so not to order food in The Swan, due to hygiene issues.

It used to be terrible but a few years ago they re-vamped it all including a completely new kitchen and things were much better. However the management/tenancy keeps changing and that may have been a factor.

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Do you have to, by law, display your ratings?

Yes in some areas.  It's down to the relevant local authority so therefore varies throughout the country. I think it's the law in Wales though.  

Some years ago I was allocated a job in Stevenage. It required an overnight stay. I decided to have a couple of beers and some food in the Wetherspoons opposite the bus station. As dusk arrived I was able to watch the vermin from my seat by the window. Dozens of rats emerged from the gardens and planters outside the council offices  and foraged for food amongst the bus shelters and bins.

Next morning you wouldn't have known as evidenced by numerous people happily munching on their lunchtime sandwiches whilst sitting in the rats' playground. 

Just now, Nightwatch said:

I can’t imagine it being too difficult to reach a five star rating, a bit of knowledge, commitment and most importantly, grovelling.🤪😃

We always had a five star, its not at all hard to achieve. Problem is toomany people take on food places with zero training and thinks its easy. Wales and I think NI are already compulsory for scores on the doors to be shown, it will come to England one day I spose.

Im surprised that people can set up and trade whilst they await the LA to inspect them and award their first rating.

I would have thought at least an initial inspection would be required before selling to the general public.

15 hours ago, Goliath said:

I run my finger over me picture frames and reliably find a living culture. 

Weren’t Quinten Krisp famous for saying something about dust only getting so deep over so many years?

I find it’s generally the same with filth and grease. 
Gets to a certain point, why bother, ain’t gonna get any worse. 

Yes, if I temember, He said no point in dusting, because after two years it doesn't get any thicker!

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Im surprised that people can set up and trade whilst they await the LA to inspect them and award their first rating.

I would have thought at least an initial inspection would be required before selling to the general public.

We always found that contacting Local authority long before opening was beneficial. They were always most helpful. When we opened Annies Tea room at Thrupp for instance, we told Banbury council months before we opened, they came and looked at everything before we opened that had been done to the building. It was a blank canvas as you know, it was a workshop before being turned into the caff. We did same before opening Kizzies Bistro in Lower Heyford, that too was done from scratch. Never had a problem anywhere with inspections, just dont hide anything. 

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Fridge temperatures taken (or set) by the fridge itself are not acceptable - it has to be a calibrated thermometer and taken at agreed times.

(At least it was when we had the restaurant).

The argument being that just because the temperature that you set on the Fridge (ie 5 degrees C) does not mean that the fridge is actually at 5 degrees C

You can get calibrated dataloggers for temperature and other measurements.

https://www.omniinstruments.co.uk/tinytag-talk-2-data-logger.html

I often used them when at work. Once when analysing the data from one, I wondered why the data centre had dropped to freezing point for a hour. Turned out the technician I sent to retrieve it had forgotten to switch it off before bringing back to the office on his motorbike! 🤣

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

19 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We always found that contacting Local authority long before opening was beneficial. They were always most helpful. When we opened Annies Tea room at Thrupp for instance, we told Banbury council months before we opened, they came and looked at everything before we opened that had been done to the building. It was a blank canvas as you know, it was a workshop before being turned into the caff. We did same before opening Kizzies Bistro in Lower Heyford, that too was done from scratch. Never had a problem anywhere with inspections, just dont hide anything. 

Back in 1991 when we created a new catering kitchen we too contacted the Food Hygiene people in advance. We also had the kitchen designed professionally.

When the inspector came he said that it was all wrong - not enough sinks (he wanted 5 when we already had 3) didn't like a central prep station etc etc etc. Offered to provide alternative advice (at a price) We retaliated by setting the original designer onto him and the department quickly relented.

Turned out shortly after that the department were trying to set up a consultancy service on the side (nothing specifically to prevent this) but it came to light when they had their own inspection which slated them abysmally for a poor level of performance. They were putting their energies into the side business rather than fulfilling their statutory duties. Personnel soon changed and the consultancy was  abandoned but no-one was prosecuted 'cos they had broken no law, it appeared.

We were new to the business - we had even greater challenges with the Social Care side of things (pre CQC) but the above did teach us not to let quirky inspectors get away with nonsense. The next food inspector was quite the opposite and we learnt lots from him.

If you don't agree with such folk, ask them to justify their remarks and also whether it is a requirement or advisory (bit like with BSS!) Whilst it is generally worth following the advisory it will reveal whether it is just someone's opinion and you might want to get a second opinion if it matters.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Back in 1991 when we created a new catering kitchen we too contacted the Food Hygiene people in advance. We also had the kitchen designed professionally.

When the inspector came he said that it was all wrong - not enough sinks (he wanted 5 when we already had 3) didn't like a central prep station etc etc etc. Offered to provide alternative advice (at a price) We retaliated by setting the original designer onto him and the department quickly relented.

Turned out shortly after that the department were trying to set up a consultancy service on the side (nothing specifically to prevent this) but it came to light when they had their own inspection which slated them abysmally for a poor level of performance. They were putting their energies into the side business rather than fulfilling their statutory duties. Personnel soon changed and the consultancy was  abandoned but no-one was prosecuted 'cos they had broken no law, it appeared.

We were new to the business - we had even greater challenges with the Social Care side of things (pre CQC) but the above did teach us not to let quirky inspectors get away with nonsense. The next food inspector was quite the opposite and we learnt lots from him.

If you don't agree with such folk, ask them to justify their remarks and also whether it is a requirement or advisory (bit like with BSS!) Whilst it is generally worth following the advisory it will reveal whether it is just someone's opinion and you might want to get a second opinion if it matters.

Agreed. We had a lot of experience before we did our places so the wool couldnt be pulled over our eyes and we knew hat we had done complied. Sounds like your first encounter was pretty bent!!

One thing that nearly all inspecters still do though is " advise " you to keep eggs in the fridge. Its a pet subject for some more than others. In reality you certainly dont have to but many still say its best practice, usualy if they cant find anything genuine to pick up on lol. Fluctuating temperatures are the worst thing for eggs, for instance fridge doors are a bad place to store them.

56 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

‘Just don’t hide anything’! Not like the old days then. For skippers rounds we always left something obvious for him to find.

But I agree, hide summat and it’s found you spark their interest into looking deeper.

My lad, a butcher, always sees to the hygiene people. College trained bulls#*ter. 5* ratings all the time.

23 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

‘Just don’t hide anything’! Not like the old days then. For skippers rounds we always left something obvious for him to find.

But I agree, hide summat and it’s found you spark their interest into looking deeper.

My lad, a butcher, always sees to the hygiene people. College trained bulls#*ter. 5* ratings all the time.

What was that polish we used called that we used on the flats floors? You know the vinyl tiles? with the buffing machines?

18 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

The chalk boards were wiped clean.

Well, I s'pose that was a start.

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Problem with any inspector is they are employed to find things, so inevitably they do as it justifies their existence

The things have to be there in the first place, or the inspector won't find them.

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Not in England.

Most food outlets around here do display their ratings.

Edited by Machpoint005

6 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Some years ago I was allocated a job in Stevenage. It required an overnight stay. I decided to have a couple of beers and some food in the Wetherspoons opposite the bus station. As dusk arrived I was able to watch the vermin from my seat by the window. Dozens of rats emerged from the gardens and planters outside the council offices  and foraged for food amongst the bus shelters and bins.

Next morning you wouldn't have known as evidenced by numerous people happily munching on their lunchtime sandwiches whilst sitting in the rats' playground. 

I have watched them at Fradley behind the CRT cafe

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

What was that polish we used called that we used on the flats floors? You know the vinyl tiles? with the buffing machines?

Glint and gleam? Do you remember the tins of solid wax, puncture holes in the bottom, make a string handle and bounce it on the floor to apply. Then we had doodle bugs, heavy weights on a broom handle. Whiz that back and forth. Shiney floor.